PDA

View Full Version : Should I...

respectmankind
01-22-2002, 08:54 PM
Sort of sell out and be involved in 'professional' MA, particulary boxing, I have the talent, and *know* I would do well, but would it be selling out like the people I hate so much. (Martial Art used for getting money and that alone, makes me sick, gives us all bad names when we ever mention we practice)

azwingchun
01-22-2002, 10:22 PM
I don't believe anyone who does what they feel is best for them is a sell out, as long as the right motivation is there. If want to do it for the fame and glory then I would say no, don't do- you will be a sell out. Though if you do it because it is your dream and you feel you will personally benefit physically and mentally then self-improvement is never a sell out. Never listen to what people think of you, again as long as you are doing it for the better good of yourself. IMHO.

Silumkid
01-22-2002, 10:50 PM
If making money doing something you love and are good at is selling out, then sign me up! I'll sell out right now!

Seriously, you are the one who is in charge of your life. If you were to do this and become famous at it, you could use the vehicle to promote the good things about the arts. Let the Tysons and the Sprewells and so on and so on damage themselves all they want. Rise above. Who knows, you could end up being the catalyst for a new breed of athlete who is educated and respectful rather than self-aggrandizing and basically an overgrown child with too much money and no concept of morality.

respectmankind
01-22-2002, 11:09 PM
I will take what you said to heart, thanks guys.

guohuen
01-23-2002, 08:25 AM
Don't do anything for money that you wouldn't do for free and don't do anything for free that you would do for money. (Charity excluded of course.):D
"I don't get mad. I don't get even. I get paid!" my friend David who used to beat up bikers for fun.

apoweyn
01-23-2002, 08:38 AM
uh, raise your hand if you've got a job that you'd do for FREE.

i know that if i were wealthy, i'd still while away the hours editing government documents for free. aw, yeah!

come off it. :)

seriously, my feeling is that if you can do martial arts commercially, however that happens, then do it. there are plenty of dubious commercial teachers. it'd be nice to have some good ones commercially available. same with boxing competitors. it'd be nice to see more of them that were known for character than for biting off other people's sensory organs.

stuart b.

Qi dup
01-23-2002, 08:41 AM
your not selling out unless your actually selling something. Like selling a car, you get money for it, and now you don't have anything, just money. you sold it. If you were to sell out you would have to just make a lot of money and have nothing to back it up. Did Sun Tzu sell out when he wrote the art of war? I don't think so. Did Ghandi sell out trying to free india? Did George washington sell out starting this country? You have to do what your heart tells you to do. we were all born to do something, go with it. Remember, "Hero's get remembered, but legends never die."

Now I can say 'knew' the great respectmankind before he was famous:)

shaolinboxer
01-23-2002, 08:44 AM
If you decide to go pro-boxing, you'll soon see that it's not all about skill in the ring, but your skills outside of it that make a huge difference.

I have met many talented guys who have tried to make it in the boxing game....many wind up as personal training in the gyms in manhattan.

Good luck. Boxing is a dangerous mess.

guohuen
01-23-2002, 08:47 AM
Sorry to hit a sore spot Stu! I've had crappy jobs too. I alternately tend bar, cook and teach for a living. All things I love and do at home for free. Now I need to start being paid for music again. It's been a long time and I need some new toys.
Peace, Toney

Ray Pina
01-23-2002, 08:53 AM
I'm curous about boxing as well, though I haven't brought it up to my sifu yet. Maybe when we become more familiar with each other. For me, it's not about the money, though that wouldn't hurt if it ever got to that, but fighting as many different people as possible. I think if you want to be one of the best you have to be out there fighting at a high level, otherwise you will never know where your skill and technology stands in the scheme of things.

Its not selling out unless you think it is for whatever reason. If somehwere inside you feel you need to keep your skill hidden, perform only in a secret chamber, because this is how your method has been trained for centuries, then yes, you are going against your will and selling out.

If you are a fighter and just want to get in the ring with guys, and, have the opportunity to make some money if you win, that's called just doing what you want to do. Be respectful, and most of all win.

Chang Style Novice
01-23-2002, 09:00 AM
I just wanted you to know I love the way this thread appears on the main list: "Should I...respectmankind"?

The answer is "yes."

And oh yeah - make that money, bro!