PDA

View Full Version : Working out hurts.

KungFuGuy!
01-22-2002, 09:56 PM
I started working out with weights on saturday with some buds, and I think I overworked myself a bit. I haven't used weights in 2 years, I've just been using my own body weight for exercises. They pressured me into it, and they've been working out for a while so I had to strain to keep up with them.
Anyways, that was 4 days ago, and I'm still in a lot of pain. I can't even straighten my elbows all the way without it hurting a lot.
What the hell should I do? That was on saturday and I still feel the same way I did on sunday. I haven't been able to train, even raising my arm is difficult.

Kungfu boy
01-22-2002, 10:22 PM
Learn one thing, don't listen to your friends! *joking*

Let it go for a while. Relax until you fel better, don't do any heavy lifting etc. If you want to use weights, lower the weight, no point in hurting yourself to keep up with others. If they don't want to lower the weight, don't work out with them. Its that simple, don't let them pressure you into anything. Do what you want, if you want to stick with pull ups and push ups and other body weight exercises, then do so. If you use weights, be careful and start off slowly.

I have a friend who hasn't lifted in a while is starting again. He is starting off slowly, which is smart.

Like I said, no point in hurting yourself.

KungFuGuy!
01-22-2002, 10:28 PM
Alright, but what do I do right now? Is there anything I can do to releave the pain?

red_fists
01-22-2002, 10:36 PM
Hi.

May I suggest.

Light exercises and keep MOVING that Body pushing the limit bit by bit.
Follow up with a HOT bath or shower.
One Problem with weight training and most workouts is the 3rd Day AFTER the workout.

In weight training you tend to cause minor rips in the muscle, whch will then force Muscle growth by the muscle growing into the gaps.

Now as you said you haven't worked out for a bit, so the muscles were not used to that level of exercise and of course complain(hurt).
In a situation like that you need to keep doing a light workout EVERY dayto get your Body used to it again.
After the 3rd or 4th Day you can start to slack of a bit.

If not the muscles will try to contract and grow back together where they were ripped, hence the loss of movement, stiffness and pain.

Also some form of rubbing oil/alcohol or Tiger Balm will ease the effect.
Hope this helps.

Kungfu boy
01-22-2002, 10:41 PM
A heating pad might work, leave it on for about 10-20 minutes. But not longer than that, I hear it not good for prolonged periods of time. You might try alternating hot and cold compresses. Hot tonight and cold tomorrow. It works for me and trust me I have had my share of muscle injuries.

By no means am I a doctor and if one of the personal trainers or doctors that frequent this forum can give better advice. Take theirs over mine freely. Just saying what works for me.

Good luck man. Just lay off it for a few weeks and see how things go. If your still in pain after about a week or two go to a doctor to get checked out.

Better safe than sorry.

Later,

Brian a.k.a. Kungfu Boy

Paul
01-22-2002, 10:49 PM
They pressured me into it, and they've been working out for a while so I had to strain to keep up with them.

peer pressure can be a beyatch. hahaha. they made me lift weights I didn't want to do it. heh.

It sucks when you can't straighten the arms out. I've had that problem before. It really sucks when you first wake up in the morning with your arms all bent up and you can't straighten them hahahaha.

You also might want to try ibuprofen. It's good at reducing swelling and such.

Suntzu
01-23-2002, 09:04 AM
keep strectching, strech at work, while driving, just keep stretching. use a heating pad, stretch when taking a hot shower. Get a message. And my uncle advised me to lift again thru the pain, but I'm still not sure about that one. But I really don't lift anymore, altho i need to...

xiong
01-23-2002, 09:20 AM
Definately stretch and massage the sore areas. Warm them up a little first by what ever means is convenient and then lightly stretch and knead the muscles. You can use tiger balm or Dit Da Jow but some people may be offended by the smell. Flex All also works pretty well for me.

Lastly taking a pain reliever before bed is a good idea, it seems that part of slow recovery has to do with fitful sleep do to muscle and joint discomfort. I personally prefer aspirin but as long as your not eating a bottle a day of ibuprofen or acetomenophin you shouldn't have to worry about liver or kidney problems.

Good luck.

Water Dragon
01-23-2002, 09:40 AM
Just deal with it. In a couple weeks, it wont hurt so bad. It always hurts when you first start.

KungFuGuy!
01-23-2002, 05:42 PM
I've started and stopped a few times over the past few years, but it's never hurt like this when I've started before.
Thanks for the advice, I've been stretching my muscles a lot, and bought this stuff called Deep Cold, which helps A LOT. It actualy feels quite a bit better than yesterday and I'll start back up again tomorrow.

Water Dragon
01-23-2002, 06:44 PM
Maybe you pushed yourself harder this time. I'm in the same boat as you. Just started training hard again. Keep at it, you'll be OK.

**At least that's what I keep telling myself ;)

TigerJaw
01-31-2002, 06:58 AM
Do make sure that you warm up and cool down properly before and after your workout. I've always found that relaxed stretching after a stregth workout is effective in preventing DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness.)

GunnedDownAtrocity
02-06-2002, 03:04 PM
i sometimes warm up by drilling on the bag and streching, but i never cool down after lifting.

my body must think i'm a real ba$tard.

Aramus
02-06-2002, 05:24 PM
Have a really beautiful woman (possibly your girlfriend) give you a massage. Stretch (as mentioned many times), eat bananas (cause they are good :D ), do a light work out (also mentioned before), warmth is good and so are hot showers, ibuprohin is good to a degree for soreness (watch your dosage or if you are allergic), stretch after a workout (and after you have warmed up)...most of all, gain sympathy and get free back rubs and such!

Good luck.
PS. Don't listen to your friends all the time. That can lead you astray. Instead listen to us internet guys. Also, believe everything you read and see (OK, maybe not the last one).:D

Brian_CA
02-07-2002, 09:13 AM
take lots of Hot epson salt bathes. Go take a steam and or a sauna. Most importantly, stretch lightly. Do try a yoga class. if the joints continue to hurt, use ice. needless to say don't do any lifting till the pain goes away.

Brian