PDA

View Full Version : New SPM Forum

Steven T. Richards
01-23-2002, 05:14 AM
New SPM Forum
Further to previously posted notification:

The new private SPM forum has international representation from the following SPM systems:

Kwangsi Jook-Lum

Chow-Gar

Chu-Gar Gao

Iron Ox

Steel Wire

The forum is private, with new members needing to be proposed by an existing member. Their application then goes before a constitutionally convened committe, who, having established the candidates background, experience and character, recommend that the application be put to a vote.

The forum is governed by a Constitution, is democratic in its management, and exists to preserve, promote and develop all true pai of SPM Hakka Kung-Fu.

The forum does not represent the views of any indiviual, group or Pai, but exists for the love and spirit of SPM as a whole.

It is a requirement of membership that candidates suspend any claim to pre-eminece for their line or pai over any other and that candidates demonstrate an open acceptance of all true branches of SPM - equally and without prejudice.

It is expected that the forum will develop its remit to cover education, scientific and cultural research, and the active promotion of brotherhood and friendship between all true martial arts Pai.

Steve Richards
New Forum Admin.

Mike Feld
01-23-2002, 10:40 AM
Dear Steve,
Its nice to see that you took up Mr. Hagood's 12/30/01 suggestion on a private discussion board and included Steel Wire. I know he also sent the same message to Eduard at Iron Ox.

Brotherhood and friendship is the weakest point in SPM.

I'm very sure it will be difficult to get the older Chinese generation to participate in any effort of consolidation, although It could benefit all if they would.

I know the Lee Siem Pai separate from Lam Sifu, the existing Chung Yel CHong Pais, and the more esoteric Pretty Bird Pai, as well as the several Chu Gar Pai in HK and the China Pai of Wong Yook Kong have stated they wouldn't be interested. Obviously Lam Sang Sifu's personal disciples arent interested although many of them have been encouraged.

Perhaps in time a younger generation will be able to strengthen SPM's weakest point and maybe even include the Chinese descendents.

Its better to cultivate brother-friendships than to cultivate the hand.

JF Springer
01-23-2002, 07:54 PM
Just as an update, the new forum is going strong. There are a number of threads receiving excellent participation from members of 5 SPM Pai. Each and every thread is substantive in nature dealing with topics not generally discussed beyond "closed doors" and certainly not with other Pai.

Informal exchanges via personal meetings are also being arranged. Great stuff all the way around and a real breath of fresh air.

I continue to be an advocate for private forums although public forums such as this one do have a purpose and place. Public forums are excellent places for open minded people to make initial contact and establish some degree of understanding prior to moving into a private setting.

The private forums have the distinct advantage of being "Troll Free" zones as well as places where a thread cannot be hijacked by someone with a personal agenda unrelated to the posted thread.

Both trolling and the hijacking of threads happen with alarming frequency in public forums. Both are indicative of mentally defective individuals. It seems miscreants, poseurs, wannabes, and emotionally unstable people flock to MA Forums for whatever reason. Perhaps it’s therapeutic for them to have some place to vent and rant but it creates a less than ideal setting for serious MA discussions.

I encourage serious, competent, and secure MA to consider and explore the benefits of developing private forums.