PDA

View Full Version : Nunchuku

Sevan
01-23-2002, 01:41 PM
Ok basically the problem, or rather a question, is that a freind talked to a 'wing chun' teacher over in Port Orchards, Washington.

His advice for learning the nunchuku was/is to use a rod about 30" +/-" 's for learning the basic moves.

Do you think this is right?

Cause a friend, who's bout 40 now, used to use numchucks extensively and some nowadays, thinks that idea is completely retarded. and yes he was very combat effecient with them.

Now someone correct me, if necessary, but that makes no sense. ie. For developing power and speed punching, do you do pushups, not that they dont have their good, or just punch? :)

And of course I'd like to go visit with the guy, cause heck he sounds like he'd be fun to chat with, as I dont take what 'anyone' has to say as 'gospel'

Thanks, I look forward to some responces,

Shane

chen zhen
01-25-2002, 12:16 PM
I have no idea what you're talking about.
How can we answer if there is'nt any question? (the poll)

Silumkid
01-25-2002, 12:28 PM
Let me first say this: I wouldn't have used the punching analogy. But we can talk about that another time.

This idea sounds strange to me. When I was a student of a karate school and we did nunchuku, we learned with nunchuku. I feel this kind of follows the "sports specificity" rule. If you want to be able to perform a skill, do the skill. A stick has different principles of usage than a set of nunchuku by simple construction alone. Bad advice I think.

Analogy that might fit better: This would be like telling someone that the best way to learn addition is to learn how to conjugate verbs. ;)

No_Know
01-25-2002, 02:46 PM
"Analogy that might fit better: This would be like telling someone that the best way to learn addition is to learn how to conjugate verbs. "

Analogies work very wel. But even better when the person using them understands the relation ships involved. I get the perception that you're merely tring to say that it's stupid~ to train a rod for learning nunchucku.

A rod can be used and nicely~ when doing over the shoulder receiving techniques. It can even develop one's flexibility more so than nunchuku. As the nunchuku brek from straight, at the rop/chainends.

And If I do push-ups on my nuckles, I would be able to hit harder objects than if I didn't train my nuckles at all.. Also I'm used to the general forwardness of a punch if I train a punch while doing push-ups. I might do push-ups because I understand that stuff used in a puch can be used in a push-up 9resistance of going through durring connection is not the least of those). And If I understood I was training for a specific type of strike--punch, I would tailor the push-up fist positioning relevant to my arms, elbows, shoulders body~...for negative resistance I would be on my back and press a balanced flat thingie~. The any development of my arm even if I was to not ever punch, coul increase my capabilities. Even merely the effort could affect my stamine. Diligence could affect my Will.I also might come to better comprehension about my limitations and resolve and biomechanics,all of which builds my database about whomever I might later face.

Sevan
01-26-2002, 10:17 PM
Hey,

Thanks alot for the reply and correction.

Makes sense, I guess I just allowed myself to refuse the idea w/o further thought.

Thanks,
Shane

yenhoi
01-28-2002, 05:01 PM
I nunchuk for at least 1 hour everyday.

Using a rod makes no sense, unless its a very heavy rod - I can see the usefullness of using a rod to develop the flexibility for doing around the back and shoulder transfers, but then you will have to learn how to do them with the nunchaku - and they DO NOT perform like a rod, nunchaku do weird things and weird times and the only way to learn is to practice with nunchaku, learn to feel the weapon.

Nunchaku do not work like sticks, or respond like sticks, so why would you practice with a stick?

Practice with nunchaku, different kinds too - wooden, metal, chained, stringed, short and long grip, and short and long chains.

While Im here, i just got some new ones - chinese combat chucks (8 inch wooden chinese long chain). They are great.

Shaolin
01-29-2002, 01:23 PM
Using a rod makes perfect sense (open your mind and stop being so linear in your thoughts). When learning weapons there are some basics concepts that apply that will apply to other weapons besides just the one your learning. For example say you start out with the staff, it's clasified as a poll weapon so other poll weapons (ie. monk spade, spear, kwan doa, etc.) are going to share the same basic principals. If you look closly some of those same basics will transfere over to other weapon classes as well such as short weapons, and soft weapons. So it actually makes sense to practice a weapon like the escrima sticks to learn basics for the nunchuku.:D

Shaolin
01-29-2002, 01:25 PM
By the way not everything our sifu's teach us or tell us to do make sense in the begining but some day we'll understand why the have us do it .