PDA

View Full Version : So You Think You Can Tell A Good Story?

Wu Lung
01-23-2002, 06:12 PM
Well, now's your chance to do just that - plus you might earn yourself free membership to the Cyberkwoon.com Members Section for a year, plus a crisp fresh cheque for US$50.00!

www.Cyberkwoon.com is the premier site on the net for Martial Arts training information and knowledge sharing. It's a voluntary community of like-minded Martial Artists.

Cyberkwoon.com's new Martial Arts Short Fiction section will soon be up and running and we're taking submissions now. You could get published on the web and there's even the possibility of a hard copy Anthology.

Check out the Submission Guidelines by following the link to Martial Fiction in the Articles box on the left hand column of the Cyberkwoon.com Home Page.

You never know till you try - so get writing!

Any queries, e-mail the Fiction Editor - fiction@cyberkwoon.com

:)

Ryu
01-23-2002, 06:33 PM
hmmm.

Ryu

Ryu
01-23-2002, 08:13 PM
I may do this....

Ryu

Wu Lung
01-23-2002, 09:36 PM
Please do, Ryu! There's no harm in trying and you might earn yourself some money. Not to mention the prestige!

;)

Braden
01-23-2002, 10:27 PM
I wonder how long a post on the cyberkwoon board trolling for it's members to come to KFO would last.

Wu Lung
01-23-2002, 11:02 PM
This is not a post trolling for members. I would think that most everyone here is aware of Cyberkwoon and can make up their own mind whether they want to spend their time there or not.

This is purely to let as many people as possible know that if they aspire to be a writer then there is a new, paying market available for them.

Why don't you write a story, Braden - perhaps you could come up with something along the lines of the bitter KFO member that has issues. Sounds to me like you'd have a lot of material for that! ;)

Seriously though, ignore this if you're not interested. It's really hard for writers to get noticed these days and this is a great opportunity for both new and established writers to get something published on the web and possibly in hard copy too.

Take it or leave it!

Xebsball
01-23-2002, 11:05 PM
Ill se what i can do.

Braden
01-24-2002, 12:23 AM
I'm not bitter, I'm sweet. Ask anyone.

But you're right, I do have issues with cyberkwoon.

Satanachia
01-24-2002, 02:11 AM
How long does it have to be?
On what sort of topics or style?
And whens the deadline?

scotty1
01-24-2002, 02:37 AM
Braden, why do you have issues with Cyberkwoon.

I am NOT trying to start a KFO/ Cyberkwoon war, I'm just interested. I personally think Cyberkwoon is pretty cool.

Braden
01-24-2002, 04:46 AM
Hi Scotty. I'm sorry, I'm not really interested in badmouthing cyberkwoon. That I posted at all was purely reactionary against their habit of trolling in communities they are not a part of in order to get more hits, while hypocritically deleting and reprimanding mentions of other communities on their forums.

Assuredly, there are some very cool aspects to the site.

KC Elbows
01-24-2002, 08:15 AM
I'm there. I could use the writing credits as well.

As for cyberkwoon vs. KFO, I don't look at it that way. I like both places, and each has its merits.

Gene, any chance of a fiction section here? We've got quite a few writers, and it would be a better use of us than more posts on "The post of nothing, but its really about something".;)

guohuen
01-24-2002, 09:40 AM
Huh???? I thought that's what Street/Reality Fighting was!:D
Doaah!!! Sorry! I just couldn't help myself! :D

Ray Pina
01-24-2002, 09:47 AM
I'm actually working on a martial novel now: part historic/fiction, part present day reality. It's currently 200 pages single spaced at the half-way point.

Would a few juicy sections do? A few pages?

rubthebuddha
01-24-2002, 09:47 AM
it's a ryu imposter! the REAL ryu would have shat his pants if told about something like this.

oh, and ryu -- imposter or not -- if you write such a story, is the name fistibuns going to be in it?

Felipe Bido
01-24-2002, 09:58 AM
That's the "Evil Ryu" mode. It's not usual, but it happens. It has to do with planet alignment and shifting of the Earth poles-

Enjoy it while it lasts :D super-nice Ryu will be back in a few days

Ryu
01-24-2002, 12:02 PM
Of course it's the real me. Do you see a "." after my name?
Seriously, I am interested in doing something like that with my writing. I already sent in an email asking for some specific stuff, and got a reply back. So there's a good chance I'll do it.
By the way, KC, good luck to you!

No Fistibuns in this story :D

Hmm, don't worry, the "dark Hadou" has gone out of my system. I'm back to normal.... (I hope! :mad: )

Ryu

KC Elbows
01-24-2002, 12:10 PM
Good luck, Ryu! And to anyone else entering.:)

Wu Lung
01-24-2002, 05:03 PM
Just to address a few points:

We don't delete any posts referring to other websites on Cyberkwoon. We are all for the sharing of knowledge - that's our raison d'etre. We just don't tolerate trolls of any kind. And our site is far more than just a discussion forum.

As for the stories, all the details you need are in the Submission Guidelines, which can be found here:

http://www.cyberkwoon.com/html/page.php?page=fiction

If you have any other questions at all, contact the Fiction Editor at fiction@cyberkwoon.com

This project is designed to generate interest in Martial Arts, spread that interest and offer writers an opportunity to get their work out in the public eye. If that generates more hits for Cyberkwoon.com, then why is that a bad thing? ;)

Again, thanks for your interest - we look forward to receiving your submissions.

Wu Lung
01-24-2002, 05:05 PM
By the way, this is not a once only competition, but will be a regular feature of the site. If your submission if of high enough quality, it will get published at some point. ;)

Again, please check the Submission Guidelines for all the details.

joedoe
01-24-2002, 05:55 PM
You should contact Ralek - he writes great fictional stories :D

Wu Lung
01-24-2002, 06:32 PM
I would love Ralek to submit some yarns - he turns out the funniest stuff sometimes. But in order to be published he'd need to stop writing in the style of the bible! That's kinda old, you know!;) You ever noticed how so much of his stuff sounds like he's writing a book for the old testament, with the repetition and clipped sentences and stuff like that? I wonder if poor old Ralek is actually the whipped and broken son of some fundamentalist Christian nutcase, finding release through the internet in the quiet hours of the early morning, locked in his basement?

Hmmm, there's a good story right there! :)

David Jamieson
01-24-2002, 06:42 PM
Wu Lung, there are certainly many who would "relate" to that story ;)

Tell the monkey hello and that I did get his "living in the fast lane" post card. will reciprocate soon.

See you in the ether
peace

Wu Lung
01-24-2002, 07:03 PM
Will do, Kung Lek.

Wu Lung
01-24-2002, 10:33 PM
Shameless, I know, but it's benevolent.

I know how hard it is for writers to find new, paying markets.

Wu Lung
01-28-2002, 03:51 PM
;)

Wu Lung
01-28-2002, 09:16 PM
;)

Ryu
01-28-2002, 11:09 PM
:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
GRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!

I officially have writer's block. I knew it would happen, ****it...

:mad: :mad:
Short stories are too short. I am stuck on what to write about...
I need a situation and a catch.

Ryu

Goldenmane
01-28-2002, 11:16 PM
Hey Wu Lung..

I still have the "Origin of Blue Ape" story that I wrote sitting around.

Whaddaya reckon?

Of course, credit would have to go to those who I took input from, but it is one of the few collaborative-type efforts that has really turned out interesting.

-geoff

anerlich
01-28-2002, 11:31 PM
I'ts arguable there have been enough fictional posts here already to merit a separate forum without bringing Cyberkwoon into it.

Ralek and Spinning Backfist are in the running for Best Serial of the New Millenium.

That said, I might try to come up with something for Cyberkwoon myself.

No_Know
01-29-2002, 08:06 AM
Ryu, a seasoned and skilled Muay Thai gal takes Brazilian Juijitsu some one big guy thinks he's tough gets fresh towards her. She gets him standing . Gets-up herself. And proceeds to thoroughly Thai him up Muay bien (--by Ernie Moore Jr.). You could come up with a snappy line or two at the end and her thooughts of her day or whatever before she goes to the club...whatever you all call where ever you all go to Brazilian Juijitsu at least in your story. But you're on to Aikido, now?

KC Elbows
01-29-2002, 08:17 AM
Ryu,
Don't sweat the writer's block. I usually find that whenever I get writer's block, its actually me trying to write story A, when Story B is staring me right in the face, begging to be written.

At least you're accustomed to writing novel length stuff. My main project right now is novel length, and there's some days that I have to fight feeling overwhelmed, as I've never written anything that length, and I fear that I'll never finish.

I won't recommend story ideas, but might I suggest a perusal of some of the older threads on here or the other forums to look for an angle that might catch your eye? Or, perhaps go over some interesting memories from your martial experiences to get the ideas flowing? The thing I like about general research and fact finding is that the info gained can be used, but does not usually limit you on choice of genre, theme, or style.

Goldenmane
01-29-2002, 08:42 AM
Gahhh... novels.

Let's see... something like three unfinished so far.

Mind you, there's also something like 10 short stories unfinished so far.

But at least I've finished some short stories. Nowhere even close to finishing a novel yet. :(

-geoff

Wu Lung
01-29-2002, 03:44 PM
Goldenmane - I don't know about the Blue Ape thing, but if it fits the guidelines and youthink it's good enough, then by all means submit it! ;)

By the way - you lot all know that No_Know and Ralek are the same person, right?

KC Elbows
01-29-2002, 03:49 PM
AAAAAAGGGHHHH!

Wu Lung, you don't know what you've started. According to many members, Ralek IS everyone, but no one to my knowledge has put forward the No_Know thing, although there's a few who suggested that they know No_Know's true nature.

You're threatening the very structure of the forum. Bad forum member!:D

Wu Lung
01-29-2002, 05:38 PM
He may well be other people too - I don't know, as I don't spend that much time here. However, he IS No_Know - no question about it. Do a search on No_Know's posts if you have time to kill. There's one where he's posted as No_Know and it's vintage Ralek - even talking about computer game characters.

Trust me on this - he's a much brighter troll than any of you guys give him credit for! ;)

Maybe an IP check...?

rubthebuddha
01-29-2002, 05:43 PM
think only the mods can do that.

oh, crap. i just realized ...

renegade and kung lek are the MOD SQUAD!

Wu Lung
01-29-2002, 10:38 PM
Sorry, I can't help myself! ;)

No_Know
01-30-2002, 02:27 PM
Once upon a time there were five fighting dragons and they lived in the area of Sydney, NSW. Being flexible as dragons can be and speculating from places that they No_Know they ended-up in the air with their head shoved in the other end so far, they were looking up their throat. The five fought and fought, these dragons, butt seemed to enjoy their position. eh hemm The End

Very good...toilet paper...very whatever-ish.

Wu Lung
01-30-2002, 03:58 PM
Seriously Ralek, why don't you try penning an actual short story? Your trolling skills could finally pay off - you never know_no!

;)

Wu Lung
01-30-2002, 10:25 PM
I'll just keep it alive for about a week or so, I promise.

And look - bonus troll busting in every thread! ;)

Wu Lung
01-31-2002, 04:23 PM