PDA

View Full Version : Desire to kill. Gun Simulations, and European sword fighting

Stacey
01-23-2002, 07:12 PM
I've been meditating and have reached lizard brain where I pretty much don't care about anything, out of this has grown a desire to kill and maim. Do any of you get this urge? Not a strong one, but more of a craving, Like, "Boy, I could really go for some ice cream" something like that. I've been playing with knife disarms and drilling that way, so maybe thats whats warping me. I should maybe play a videogame.

On that note. Does anybody know if playstation has a gun for first person shooters. Anyone play the japanese game Police 911. It feels your body position with lasers and weight. When you duck, it ducks. I want one of those for home "training" prefereably one with real weight.

I saw a trailer for brotherhood of the wolf and I'm getting interested in European sword fighting. Are there any teachers? No, I don't want to fence. I want to use those kind of swords that Joan of arc used, the cross, generic crusading sword. Not a claymore. I also saw a bit on the History channel about Euro two handed swords, how they used joint locks and basically worked like a japanese sword.

Ryu
01-23-2002, 07:15 PM
Nope. :)
People with that urge shouldn't play with "mature boys" toys.

Ryu

red_fists
01-23-2002, 07:18 PM
hi.

Forget the "Police 911", go for the newer katana Game.

You get to ahck and slice your Opponents to bits.

Motion sensor same as "Police 911", and you get a Sword handle as well.

Seeya.

P.S.: But than som prefer the Game "poong ba poong ba".
Why would I get pleasure of poking a digital finger into and simulated butt to make a Character scream and squirm??

Ryu
01-23-2002, 07:24 PM
uck......

Why indeed....
Why not do it for real, and then keep it to oneself? ;)

Oh well.......

Ryu

David Jamieson
01-23-2002, 07:24 PM
You don't seem to understand fencing.

It includes, foil, epee and sabre.

If you think fencing is only what you see in the olympics, think again.
By the way, the "reptile" brain does not mean total detachment from other mental and emotional faculties, compassion, intuitiveness, et al.

Again, more study is required.

peace

respectmankind
01-23-2002, 09:16 PM
I have experienced similar 'detachment' only, as Kung Lek said, it in know way resulted in loss of compassion or any other moral/emotion. Detachment lets you see outside teh situation, helping logic and indeed MA ability, but lossing your compassion will compromise you severaly.

01-23-2002, 09:24 PM
Stacey, that's simply your innate hunting ability coming out.

I get urges like that all the time, and I merely channel them into productive outlets.

For example, I collect old (ancient) classical violin sheet music. Going to sheet music stores and hunting through their archives is like trying to furrow out mice and rabbits for food as far as I'm concerned.

I also play games like "Rune" and "Tenchu" and "Mortal Kombat" that feature no small amount of killing and maiming. I'd rather get my rocks off being cruel to video characters than taking out on real people and feeling extremely guilty afterwards.

By keeping myself constantly amused with such divertissements, I give myself an outlet for my innate need for violence and become a peaceful guy in real life and in kung fu practice.

Olethros
01-24-2002, 07:48 AM
I saw a trailer for brotherhood of the wolf and I'm getting interested in European sword fighting. Are there any teachers? No, I don't want to fence.

If you want historically realistic sword play go to this site.
http://www.thehaca.com/

From their site:

"ARMA - the Association for Renaissance Martial Arts, is an educational non-profit organization dedicated to the study and practice of historical fencing and the exploration and promotion of our Western martial heritage.

The ARMA focuses on the interpretation and legitimate reconstruction of Medieval and Renaissance combat systems as a modern discipline. "

Ray Pina
01-24-2002, 08:00 AM
I saw my sifu using those swords with one of his disciples once. Pretty cool, not my style though, I like the katana.

He also teaches fencing, but with his twist to it which I'm sure is rediculous like everything else he does. One of his other disciples, actualy a young women, fenced at NYU. I came to class early one day and all three of them had sabres in their hands. Cool!

Sam Wiley
01-24-2002, 09:55 AM
If Oakeshott and Reinhardt are involved, ARMA must be pretty serious, as both of them are really big collectors and fencing enthusiasts, as well as experts on European weaponry.

Sam Wiley
01-24-2002, 10:01 AM
Stacey,
That's not the reptilian brain. Your Gung Fu training is opening up new areas for you. Most people put increased aggression to work for them in some other way, something productive. I wake up every so often in an aggressive mood, and I find that I have to do something with my hands to take the edge off. I like to draw, paint, or carve stuff. If I don't do that, I play music...really loud and aggressive music, of course.:D Maybe you should try something like that.