PDA

View Full Version : Please critique my workout

Lung Hu Pai
01-24-2002, 01:24 AM
Hey everyone, how's it going? I've recently come up with a workout to go together along with my kung fu training and I was hoping that you guys could critique it for me and tell me how it is. I have kept most of my exercises at the 8-rep range cause i was told that that is the size/strength compromise range. I would like to add on a little bit of mass but not too much because I find that it slows me down. I would like to stick with something like this for a little while and then switch to a high weight, low rep strength routine. I tried this out last week and i found that I really enjoyed it, however, I don't know if I made all the right exercise selections or that I may end up overtraining if I stick with it. I do 2 warmup sets for the bigger exercises and 1 for the smaller. I would appreciate any comments and advice that you guys have to offer.
Here is my workout:

Monday

Zercher squats 2 x 8 (i do these because i work out at home and I don't have a squat rack....hopefully i'll be able to save up for one soon....)
Weighted push-ups 2 x 8 (I also don't have a bench...lol)
Bent-over row 2 x 8
One-armed snatch 1 x 25 (I do 5 reps each arm and switch back and forth non-stop)
For my stomach:
weighted crunches: 2 x 6
full-contact twist: 2 x 5
barbell rollout: 2 to failure
I finish it off with pinch-gripping some weight plates.

Wednesday

Military press: 2 x 8
Pull-ups: 2 x 8
bent-press: 2 x 5
calf-raises: 2 x 8
For my stomach:
russian twists: 2 to failure
I finish it off with a farmer's walk

Friday

Deadlift: 2 x 8
Dips: 2 x 8
Shrugs: 2 x 8
For my stomach:
full-contact twist: 2 x 5

This is my workout. I would appreciate any info or guidance from you guys about it. Also, if you guys have any suggestions for neck strengthening exercises, that would be really cool as well. Thanks again and train hard, Azar.

NPMantis
01-26-2002, 10:29 AM
Suggestions:
----------------

calf-raises: 2 x 8 - you need more reps, calf work s much better if you aim for 15-50 reps

Deadlift: 2 x 8 - make sure you stop before a rep or two before exhaustion, you will get better results and will not strain your back

Neck exercises : Lie on your back on floor then:
1. 'nod' your head, touch chin to check and back again (10+ reps, no weight)
2. lift head off ground and twixe heaf left to right (10+ reps)
3. chin to chest then left then chest then right, and repeat (10+ reps)

Remember to take it easy on your neck!

Also don't always train to 8 reps, you should change your rep count always for better results as your body gets used to workout, when I go to gym I never do same workout twice, you must vary it and exrecises for maximum muscle growth/strength and fitness. Some days do 6 reps other do 8, 12, 15, 30 or 50! Vary as much as possible and make sure you perform all exercises slowly and correctly, remember momentum is your enemy in weight lifting!

Oh, and the squat is the best exercise, it uses so many muscle groups it increases your testorerone levels and enables you to make much better grains in all your other exercises but make sure you never finish your workout on legs and blood flow will be to legs which could lead to vein problems in later life.

Why not also chuck in some horse stance practice to your workout?

Take care mate,

Mantis

NPMantis
01-26-2002, 10:34 AM
sorry forgot,

try

1 x warm up (50% of 1RM - 1 rep max)

2-3 x 'Heavy Sets' - always to exhaustion except in back exercises, don't stop at 8 reps if you can do 9!

and eat well afterwards, lots of proteins and carbohydrates!

IronFist
01-26-2002, 12:05 PM
you should change your rep count always for better results as your body gets used to workout, when I go to gym I never do same workout twice,

I think the Russians might disagree with you there :D

Iron

NPMantis
01-26-2002, 04:07 PM
I have had very good results with the methods I use and can only quote them. When seriously in training I put on 20 lbs of muscle in 18 months, with no supplements/steroids/etc. and my gains in power were even more impressive, I doubled my 1RM in nearly every exercise in this time. Everyone is different, I am not genetically gifted so must be doing something right for my body! I do feel that everyone should try this method if they are not happy with how they are training.

Out of interest how do you train? I am always looking for new ways of training to try out!

Thanks a lot mate,

Mantis

ElPietro
01-28-2002, 07:42 AM
Changing your rep scheme is counter-productive. If you have a goal stick with it. Why would I train my calves for 50 reps? Calves already get trained at an aerobic level just by walking all the time so what point would there be carrying this over into the gym?

Like I said, have a goal, pick the appropriate weights and rep scheme and stick to your plan. Even if you have a periodization routine, or the conjugate training of the westside barbell philosophy you still are rigidly adhering to a "plan" and a specific rep scheme. Anyone can say they had great results and not understand what they are doing. You may have had even better results training intelligently.

Lung your program isn't bad. You have all the right ideas and considering you don't have access to a gym should still do pretty well. One thing I'd recommend is taking out one days worth of abdominal training. Your abs are muscles like any other, train them that way. Good luck!