PDA

View Full Version : "5 loosening exercises"

PingAnTu
01-24-2002, 02:00 AM
Has anyone ever heard of the "5 loosening exercises"? I trained in Taipei's New Park for a few months with a teacher that taught a series of exercises called "Song (relax) Shen (body) Wu Fa (5 ways). They were created by a master called Huang Shengxian who was a senior disciple of Cheng Man Ching. The story is that he went off to Malaysia to promote Taiji and came back to Taiwan 30 years later an incredible martial artist. I don't know that much about him but I've seen him in action on tape. Even at the end of his times -- he was really, really good.

After I came back to the states I did these every day for about two years. I've found them to be really good but I need to get back over there to get the advanced details. Now I only do them about 3 times a week.

The 5 exercises are supposed to distill the core principles of Taiji. It gives you a skill developing way to warm up. We used to do them every morning at 7:15am for about 20 or 30 minutes.

Water Dragon
01-24-2002, 09:29 AM
Oh wow, I think I do these. They were always just part of the warm up though. I never knew they had a name. If you're really that interested, the training does exist in Central Indiana. Shoot me a private message.

bamboo_ leaf
01-24-2002, 04:24 PM
Wujidude,

Just wanted to say thanks for a very insightful post. :)

Its very funny people say they want to play and learn something internal but all the things that they really want are not.

Interesting isn’t it!!!

Demon Fist
01-24-2002, 05:27 PM
Bamboo Leaf,

Its very funny people say they want to play and learn something internal but all the things that they really want are not.

To quote the dao:

"It is the nature of the ordinary person, the person who is not yet at one with the Tao, to compare the manifestations of the natural qualities possessed by things."

Good luck on your path, and leave others to theirs.

bamboo_ leaf
01-25-2002, 09:08 AM
I think the one that is effective is the one that you feel can lead you there. The there is not the method. I feel many mistake this and get caught up in it.

For me CMC style "way" works, I get “it”

As Demon fist, said “Good luck on your path, and leave others to theirs.” ;)

I can really understand this now.