PDA

View Full Version : Tell me about your style?

grogan
01-24-2002, 04:56 AM
This type of question may seem very juvenille to many of you but I can asure you that till I was about 25 I thought Kung Fu was one style. Growing up in an area which only had Japanese Martial Arts I knew nothing of Kung FU and one year ago I just happened to walk into Kung Fu school (in a different state) while my japanese school were on holidays and I saw stuff that just amazed me, straight away I signed up and I can say I still hold the same excitement with me now that I did on my first night of training. But I know nothing of the different styles of Kung Fu so please educate me in what your style outwardly looks like, teaches and strengths of your style. Please take the time to write a short para as your knowledge will greatly improve mine.

P.S. I know everyones style is the best and no style can beat it so please lets leave that bit out of your para, looking forward to hear from you.

HopGar
01-24-2002, 08:30 AM
Hop Gar ( Tranbslates literally as "Traveling Swordsman" or "Family of the Knight") is my style. It's a Tibetan style of kung fu. It's based on Ape and Crane, and it's mostly long-arm, but we also have throws and some short arm. There is also sticky hands and somehow we got some dummy techiques, I have no clue where it came from. Our weapons are Staff, Staight Sword, Broadsword, and Spear. goto www.hopgar.com for more info. I have a webpage with some very basic info: www.atlchai.org/yastudents/02karz/webdesignpage2.html

Peace dude and welcome

HopGar
01-24-2002, 08:31 AM
oh yeah one more thing: Hop Gar was the official martial art of the emperor's guards during the Qing Dynasty - yeah I know that might make me evil to ya, but screw it.

shaolinboxer
01-24-2002, 08:39 AM
I am studying aikido, coming from a background in Shaolin Kung Fu (wushu) and Kickboxing.

Sounds like you aren't interested in "Japanese Martial Arts"...but really aikido is kung fu.

For info www.aikidofaq.com or www.aikidojournal.com are great reputable sources.