PDA

View Full Version : Broke my cherry last night

Ray Pina
01-24-2002, 07:30 AM
Really walked the circle for the first time -- focusing on the kicking potential.

First, 20 minutes in my kitchen, but it was a little cramped, too tight a spiral (I was getting dizzy on the roundhouse), and a little self conscious with my girl in the other room.

Then, 30 minutes by the bay. Much better, but still a little awkward. In all, I was happy with about three or four of the roundhouse kicks, proper drive and angle, more with the inside to out kick, and even through in a few improv single palm exchanges ( I think that's what it was: shielding, drop the elbow to get on top and strike with the palm or collapse other's brisge).

All in all fun. Nice night, not too cold. A street light also provided light for some shadow boxing along the bulkhead.

Yup, nothing like new material.

Sam Wiley
01-24-2002, 07:44 AM
There are times when we look at the palm and times when we don't, to keep us focused in the right way, and this also keeps us from getting dizzy. You shouldn't be getting dizzy at all. Maybe you should try switching to the opposite to keep from getting dizzy. For instance, if you are looking at your palm during the outer change, maybe you should stop looking at it for the duration of the spin and look at it again as your palm comes to the center of the circle.

But I have no idea what you'd say to your girl, I still haven't figured out how to explain it to anyone I know. Maybe you should tell her it's an exercise to keep the yang up. That way, she'll make sure you do it every day. ;)

But you'd better improve in bed....:D

Ray Pina
01-24-2002, 09:54 AM
I was getting dizzy when in my kitchen. My sifu stress that one actually doesn't walk in a perfect circle, that the straight legt goes from out to in, but the toes stay straight.

But, when the wall or table or stove was there, I had to make the round-house step very dramitc, spinning almost 180 degrees, when doing this at a decent speed I was getting dizzy.

When I whent outside, had a but more room, I had no problems with dizzyness at all -- just maintaining a good balance. I'm a perfectionist, and I'm still landing with too much force. A few had power and landed softly, where I could change if I had to. Now its just a matter of practicing to make every step that way, total control.

Plus, I know my sifu will adjust it more the next time I see him. I'm going for work for a week, so I plan on just working on this, gaining control, so when he adjust, I have enough control to make the adjustment. Kind of just becoming familiar with a new toy before really knowing how to use it. Though, the martial intent in the moves is there, obvious.

The palms, I am learning how to use them straight up when I'm fighting, or at least am working on them, and, when breaking to the outside, I see the way the elbow/shoulder are involved.

For me, its just tougher to do in the air staticly, and especially in class. I do everything terribly in class because I think about it.

I like to put on soem good music and just loose myself to my training, that's when I flow my best. That's why I like fighting. Just react.

Sam Wiley
01-24-2002, 10:17 AM
OIC.

Furniture. I hate having furniture in the way.

When I first started practicing Bagua, my family had a large coffee table in the living room, and at night I would practice my walking in there. One night, I decided to practice the form as well, and I came very close to the table and did a toe-in step for Jade Lady Throws Fan. I brought my left foot around and rammed my foot right into the leg of the table, stuffing the leg of the table in between my ring finger toe and middle toe...and the leg of the table was about two inches across! I have trouble with that toe to this day, not just because of that accident, though. When I was twelve, I dropped a kitchen knife on that toe and nearly cut it off. When I was about 16, I was helping my stepfather put in a burglar alarm and dropped a heavy duty wooden pallet on my left toes. I had to have a couple of toenails cut out.

Waitaminute...maybe it was my left foot that was in the way and not the furniture...hmmm.

Anyway, I have to move furniture well out of the way if I practice indoors. I can't stand to have furniture in the way. Especially not coffee tables, d@mn waste of space coffee tables. I have never known anyone to even put coffee cups on them, only books. And books are meant to go on a shelf.:mad:

Sounds like you're doing well, then.

Ray Pina
01-24-2002, 11:01 AM
Definitely not to the well stage with walking. I have a lot to work on, especially the transference of weight. Of coarse I get power when doing it at real speed, but my distribution is terrible, waaaay too committed on the round house.

But, its like everything else. I'll just practice it hard, make it my number one focus, until I'm more satisfied.

Thanks for the pointers though. This is new terriroty for me. I'm also very lucky to have a good teacher .

It was kind of exciting, I have always been drawn to Ba Gua, and now, at 27, here I am beginning it.

Daniel Madar
01-24-2002, 11:51 AM
What lineage are you learning?

Ray Pina
01-24-2002, 12:12 PM
I believe its Imperial Palace Ba Gua. I am studying with Master Bong Chan. His primary Ba Gua sifu was Master Wang Zhuang Fei, I believe he brought him over from China so he could live and train with him.

I have only been with my master for a year, and haven't spent any considerable time talking lineage and things other than the business at hand. I'm sure as time goes on we will.

Eight_Triagram_Boxer
01-24-2002, 05:12 PM
The lineage of our Bagua is this...

Gong Baotien
Wang Zhuang Fei
Chen Bong

Daniel Madar
01-24-2002, 07:38 PM
Either of you guys ever hang out at empty flower? The site is hosted by a guy who studies under another one of Wang Zhuang Fei's students. Several of the students, and one disciple post there. Usually people there use their real names, so I may have seen you under something else and not known it.

Eight_Triagram_Boxer
01-24-2002, 08:44 PM
Daniel Madar,
I've posted there a few times. My name is David. I'm one of the many. = )
That board is pretty good. Less people though. Usually the topic is Xing-I so I'm not all that interested.

Ray Pina
01-25-2002, 08:10 AM
Ray Pina by the way. As for the lineage, to be honest, I was not so sure of names, I had to go to your profile to pick that one up.

I always saw it as the cool old man in the picture with the long hair and beard. That guy looked awesome. Some interesting men in those pictures on the wall, huh?

I've always wanted to ask more about them and what not but always show up late because of my commute and then just get right into it, stay as long as I can and then run to catch my train. One of these days I guess.

Peace. And I'm sure I'll see you around Dave.

Ray

Nexus
01-25-2002, 11:48 AM
I remember when I walked the square the first time. It was for a penalty in four-square in elementary school.