PDA

View Full Version : Wing Chun "not politically correct"

straight blast
01-24-2002, 07:42 AM
I was training the other day on a technique that would probably land you in court on a GBH charge when one student said something along the lines of:
"You couldn't use this on the street. You'd get busted for sure for malicious damage to somebody and end up in jail. I don't like training the really violent stuff".

To which the other student replied:
"Yeah, I don't think Wing Chun is politically correct, but I'd rather have it to defend me than a politician!"

For some reason that struck me as absurdly funny.

Kuen
01-24-2002, 09:19 AM
Like the oft reapeated saying says:
Better to be tried by 12 than carried by 6.

fmann
01-24-2002, 01:56 PM
Nowadays, it's better not to be tried by 12 or carried by 6.

The legal system will lock you up and throw away the key and sap your $$$ as you try to prove the difficult defense of self-defense. And being a martial artist means you are held to a higher standard of control than a normal citizen.

sanchezero
01-24-2002, 02:10 PM
Yeah, so put 'em down quick and beat feet to the nearest waffle house.

Kuen
01-24-2002, 02:38 PM
does anyone really ever wait for the cops to show up? I always hear about how the book will be thrown at you because your a martial artist but in the numerous street fights I was in as a younger man the police never became involved because all parties (at least those still concious :D ) were looong gone by the time the Man arrived.

fmann
01-24-2002, 09:23 PM
If you mortally injure someone (even the antagonist of the situation) and flee the scene, you can be in deep trouble -- especially if he/she dies.

Witnesses complicate the situation even more.

sanchezero
01-24-2002, 10:12 PM
You have to kill the witnesses too.

scotty1
01-25-2002, 09:20 AM
LOL at Sanchezero

fmann
01-25-2002, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by sanchezero
You have to kill the witnesses too.

That's where handling multiple people in WC comes in to play.:D