PDA

View Full Version : Traditional "weights" training

wall
10-04-2001, 10:46 AM
Having read in other threads commets like "shaolin training did not include weights" and such things, I thought I'd clarify a few things. The following is a list of exercises done by Shaolin students of ancient and current times in China, exercises which are the same as most good weights cross-training programs, except they didn't do them with barbells because they didn't have them.
1 - Push-ups in a handstand = shoulder press military press
2 - Push-ups with partner sitting on back = bench press
3 - Crouches with partner sitting on shoulders = squats
4 - Vertical push hands = bicep curls
5 - Chin-ups = chin-ups
6 - Leg raises and crunches = leg-raises and crunches

These exercises are part of most training in most Shaolin WuShu KungFu schools in China, and have always been. That's why some physiques look like somebody that has been doing weights ..... because they have! Just not with dumbells barbells because they didn't (and often still don't) have access to any. Fortunately we do, so using them will allow us to obtain even faster results with greater safety ..... whilst still doing just traditional Shaolin exercises.

Wall

Kung Lek
10-04-2001, 04:30 PM
shaolin training does include weights.

Brass rings for forearms while doing sets.
Heavy weapon training
leg weights
resistance training with a partner
use of the body weight
and use of leg weights also.

the statement that shaolin training does not include wieghted aspects is incorrect.
Although it isn't gymnasium type weight training it is weight training incorporated to fit withthe overall training of a system.

peace

Kung Lek

Julian Dale
10-04-2001, 05:23 PM
Having played with western weight training and eastern body methods. My position on this is that perfroming isolated weight training as in a western gym can have quite a negative effect on internal power development.

My advice after 18 years training is to stick with core strength training, avoid any muscular isolation i.e pure bicep curl or lat pull down on a machine. Where ever possible go for exercise that developes multi muscle strength and core power as opposed to large external muscle power.

I have done both over the year and finally have given up the gym in favour of a different type of muscle development, and I can still look toned and well defined, maintain internal power and loosenes in the tendon muscle heads which isolation negates certian types of power. Look at the old shaolin muscle or strength building routines and they do not isolate individual muscles rather work a whole range of muscles groups and stabilizers at the same time. For a goodreason as explained above.

Just my thought take it or leave it, but good luck what ever

Rolling Elbow
10-04-2001, 05:41 PM
What is your program for this? I'd beinterested if it keeps the tone and strength of the muscles.

Michael Panzerotti
Taijutsu Nobody from the Great White North..

Water Dragon
10-04-2001, 05:59 PM
I like to hang bowling ballz from my testicles as I tear the hearts out of live chikens. How's that for traditional??? :eek:

You may take my life, but you will never take my Freedom

Kevin73
10-04-2001, 06:04 PM
Wing Lam sells a book called "72 Consumate Secrets of the Shaolin Temple", and in it they discuss the training methods used and the devices. You are correct most of the exercises are comparable to modern methods, and there are some that isolate certain groups as well. Most of the exercises mentioned are types of qi gong and conditioning of body weapons.

"God gave you a brain, and it annoys Him greatly when you choose not to use it."

Shaolindynasty
10-04-2001, 06:05 PM
They also used to train with stone weights to. Their exercises were a little different than western bodybuilding exercises, less isolation of muscles. I use modern equipment but try to do exercises that stress large muscle groups to in a sense learn how to cordinate my body. I don't like machines(I used to until I tried free weights and realised that the machine is easier, maybe cause you need to use more stablizers for free weights). Oh I also lift light.

New classes New online Catalog
www.shaolindynasty.cjb.net (http://www.shaolindynasty.cjb.net)

GunnedDownAtrocity
10-04-2001, 06:31 PM
wong ying . ..

did you found anyway to minimize the effect that heavy isloated training has on your kungfu before giving it up?

the only problems i have noticed is soreness almost all the time in one area or another and a decrease in flexibility in my shoulders. these are easily delt with, but i am concerned about how you think this would effect my internal training.

i have been at my school now for a little longer than a year and a half and just now started really getting into the internal work. i'm not very good with it yet so it's hard for me to tell if it's even effecting my training at all.

what specifically does isolated weight training attack and what can you do about it if you wish to keep lifting for a least a little while?

where's my beer?

IronFist
10-04-2001, 09:30 PM
what specifically does isolated weight training attack and what can you do about it if you wish to keep lifting for a least a little while?

Just don't do isolated exerciese. Instead, do compound muscle exercises; bench press, squat, dead lift, pullups. All these use many groups of muscles instead of isolating just one.

Iron

Tigerstyle
10-04-2001, 09:51 PM
Water Dragon,
LOL! It all depends on how old your tradition is. I'm pretty sure (please correct me if I'm wrong) that bowling is a relatively new sport. So if you were to say that "bowling" balls have been used in your style's training methods for 1,000+ years, your claim of tradition would be false.

As for what I think of it, I will have to agree with you when you said, " :eek: "

Water Dragon
10-04-2001, 10:00 PM
You my friend, have obviously never seen the Flintstones Judo episode.

You may take my life, but you will never take my Freedom