PDA

View Full Version : What makes a good martial arts instructor?

shaolinboxer
01-25-2002, 07:21 AM
What qualities do you look for in an instructor?

Demeanor? Technique?

How do you know that besides being a good MA, he/she has the ability to help you?

Ray Pina
01-25-2002, 07:41 AM
Knowledge, lots of knowledge. AND, the ability to pass that knowledge on.

shaolinboxer
01-25-2002, 07:48 AM
Right, but some instructors don't have much of a knack for getting their point across. One instructor I had used to ask me to help him communicate techniques to students who couldn't get it after the first few tries....he'd just give up with comments like "you need to figure it out for yourself". Now, I am a believer in the fact that a lot of martial arts learning should be done through observation and experimentation, but not being able to help someone with their front kick shows weakness as an instructor I think.

This scenario would not have been so disturbing had I not been able to help this person learn the kick in about 10 minutes...by trying to find a way to communicate what he needed to do.

Why couldn't our sifu do that?

xiong
01-25-2002, 07:53 AM
I also believe that communication is key. It doesn't necessarily have to be verbal, but the instructor must be able to transmit the concepts to the student.

I think that the ability of the instructor to engage the student is also important. Some people are better than others at keeping peoples attention and making them feel like they are being spoken to directly.

01-25-2002, 09:09 AM
I only train with a sifu who is able to DO as he preaches - or at least had once been able to do as he preaches.

When a sifu cannot walk the talk, I lose respect for that teacher and seek training elsewhere.

Ray Pina
01-25-2002, 09:51 AM
My sifu doesn't think highly of his English, but in fact it is quite good.

But besides his ability to speak English well, he knows how to connect with his students, use examples from everyday life, to communicate the flavor of a technique. Crucial I think, especially in internal arts, because it is the little things that make a difference.

He passes the knowlde, hands it over, then its are job to run with it, take it home and make it our own.

Shaolindynasty
01-25-2002, 05:04 PM
I think a good sifu is somone who will guide you but not hold your hand the whole way. My sifu would teach me the fundamentals of the movements and let me "rediscover" it in my own understanding. I see allot of sifus that keep the "holyer than thou" aditude and I think this is bad for the senior students. There comes a time when a man has to strike out on his own and a good sifu knows when to let go. In general if you have studied under one sifu for 10 years then that is enough(somtimes less depending on the style). Even though your sifu may still be better, in 10 years time he should have planted the seeds you need to grow and staying under him like a kid will stagnate your progress. It's the difference between giving someone a fish and teaching them to fish. Of course you should always respect your sifu's advice. A sifu is like a parent in the martial arts.

rubthebuddha
01-25-2002, 05:14 PM
i like all of these, and would further like to emphasize knowledge. nothing's better than having all your darnedest questions answered, and nothing's worse than a martial art teacher who can't answer a simple "why."

a few other things i like, most of them mainly because i see how helpful they are when my own instructor possesses them (in abundance :))

1. knowledge of and ability to adequately perform other martial styles on a basic level
2. historical knowledge not only of the arts but of the world in general
3. zeal for both his/her art, arts in general and the lifestyle an artist should lead
4. concern for his/her students, not only as martial artists, but as people and members of a larger community
5. the trust of his/her own instructor (it's nice knowing that sigung leung ting puts so much faith in my sisok :))
6. the desire to constantly improve not only their technique, but also their teaching and their school. participation in organizations like EFC and the like, and working with other successful instructors regardless of their styles, can do wonders.