PDA

View Full Version : MA defined

Ray Pina
01-25-2002, 08:03 AM
According to Webster:

Martial: adj. 1) Of or relating to, or suited for war or a warrior. 2) relating to an army or to military life. 3) Experinced in or inclined to war.

Art: n. 1) A skill aquired by experince, study or observation. 2) a Branch of learning. 3) an occupation requiring requiring knowledge or skill.

apoweyn
01-25-2002, 08:33 AM
well, you skipped a couple of definitions of 'art.' notably, the ones pertaining to aesthetics and creativity. i think that's why we get so many debates about what should and shouldn't be considered martial art.

is an art martial because it relates to war? or because it's 'inspired' by the idea of war? is an art still martial if it no longer applies to war? (as most of our arts do not, in my opinion. i wouldn't fare to well vs. an MP5, for example).

stuart b.

Ray Pina
01-25-2002, 09:48 AM
Well, I see it is not being Art Martial. But a MARTIAL art.

The creativity comes in that no two situations will be the same and one will have to deal with it as an individual, and express their defense/attack individually. Where does it come from? It comes from training, but also inside, that place that is hard to define, the muse? That is the art.

But to study a MARTIAL art with thoughts towards aesthetics is already the wrong mind set, beacuse there is nothing pretty about war, about violence, beating another man down -- unless you study this sort of thing and find beauty in a perfected technique.

apoweyn
01-25-2002, 09:57 AM
well, personally, i agree with you. but i'm not going to tell anyone else that their take on their art is 'wrong.' only wrong for me.

stuart b.

shaolinboxer
01-25-2002, 10:03 AM
"there is nothing pretty about war, about violence, beating another man down"

Yes that is true.

I don't think these things have much to do with martial arts. Rather martial arts can be used to avoid all of these things.

Ofcourse, your training should enable you to defend yourself, but only to end the violent experience, not fuel it.

NafAnal
01-25-2002, 10:14 AM
"there is nothing pretty about war, about violence, beating another man down"

Or woman