PDA

View Full Version : I have seen the light

scotty1
01-25-2002, 09:15 AM
After reading Red5Angel's post about something or other.

I know this is probably old **** to everyone else but I'm like a martial arts baby, crawling, trying to find a breast to suck on.

Who would agree with the following statement :

It is not the destination, but the journey that is important.
In fact, there is no destination.

In other words, it is the process we go through in our training that IS the end product; the constant questioning and evaluating.

One could call being a Master the destination - but is one ever truly a Master? And is it not more important to have gone through the pain and triumph of the process of becoming a master than to actually be one?

Sorry, I have a bad tooth, I'm dosed up on painkillers. In fact, I can feel one taking effect now - aaaaaaahhhh.........

SO - what do you reckon? Is training a means to an end or an end in itself?

shaolinboxer
01-25-2002, 09:23 AM
There is no end, is there?

:)

red5angel
01-25-2002, 10:06 AM
Hey Scotty1, not sure if you are teasin' or not but I am with you on thi sone. The quality of the training is important but I think the most important aspect is what you put into it. this may seem intuitive but I have run into too many people who think a couple of weeks of hard workin makes them a hard player.
Really, someone was making some fun at my 'ego' but really, for a long time I was one of those person who felt that I should be a good martial artist because I am taking classes! Nothing was happening really, then I started working on it, and working hard at it, and I see the difference already.
My thing is this, if you take a martial art, for example Wing Chun because it is what I know. You study it everyday, when you are practicing, when you are sitting at work or in the car or whatever. eventually you start to find the little things that are sort of tucked away. For some, they never take the time to find them, or they dont pay enough attention. For others, they seem to be glaringly obvious. Either way, no one can deny that working hard gets you where you want to be much better then not!

GeneChing
01-25-2002, 10:10 AM
What kind of painkillers exactly?

guohuen
01-25-2002, 10:20 AM
ROTFLMAO!!

Sam Wiley
01-25-2002, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by scotty1
...I'm dosed up on painkillers. In fact, I can feel one taking effect now - aaaaaaahhhh.........

More important than whether I agree with you or not is...

Did you bring enough to share with everyone?

;)