PDA

View Full Version : Spearplay, any good sources on the internet? Videotapes

Stacey
01-25-2002, 11:16 AM
I want to learn how to fight with a snake spear. Can someone give me some info?

RAF
01-25-2002, 11:25 AM
Stacy:

I cannot help you with the snake spear but if you want to see some training and competition regarding the spear, go to:

http://www.bajimen.org/

Read the section on the spear and also take a look at the video competitions.

I think Guo Laoshi holds a seminar prior to the competitions and it might be worth attending if you are really interested in fighting and trainig with the spear.

Guo Laoshi is one of the most knowledgeable teachers in North America regarding traditional Northern Chinese martial arts. I have learned many things from him and it has always complemented my training and understanding of the traditional martial arts.

Good luck.

Ray Pina
01-25-2002, 11:28 AM
The spear is the one of the weapons I have always wanted to learn. I like the pole, but why the hell not put a nice dagger on the end of the thing, hey?

I know my master teaches it, so someday I guess. The spear and the sword are the two weapons I really want to learn. This way, if I'm ever transported back in time I'm ready. :p

Stacey
01-25-2002, 11:39 AM
where can I get a good cheap spear? How about an 8-10 foot pole?

Ray Pina
01-25-2002, 12:45 PM
If you're close to NYC, go through the Holland Tunnel, up Canal street, make a right onto Mulbery Street and BLT will be on your right hand side two or three doors from the end of the block. If you reach the small park, you just passed.

They have a lot of OK weapons. Nothing mint, but great for practicing, they'll special order for ya too, They'll have what you're looking for.

They have a Web site too.

There's another place on Mott street too. Make a right onto Mott off of Canal and its on your right hand side as well.

Stacey
01-25-2002, 03:20 PM
thats pretty far, whats the web site?

DF
01-25-2002, 09:56 PM
Hey Evolutionfist,

Why you want to learn the spear when you can learn the Fei Lung Fu Gwun from your sifu. Just don't tell him I told you about it;) ;) ;) .

DF

jon
01-25-2002, 10:04 PM
Xing Yi is an art that excels in spear fighting, most of the open hand moves can be addapted to a spear.
Just seek out a decent instructor and away you go, within a few months you will proberly know several powerfull hand movements that are effective with a weapon or without.
Most of the Xing Yi basics where designed by old school military and are easily applied to either a stick or spear.

That or just do about 15 years of Hung Ga, one of our treasure sets is Eight Diagram staff which is an OLD set that was orginaly a spear from and is again addaptable to either a staff or spear.

Failing all the above options just go grab a spear and have a stuff around, you have decent level mantis skills if im not mistaken so it shouldnt be tooooo hard to addapt to a weapon.

Stacey
01-25-2002, 10:44 PM
well my stances are ok....I have the videogame dynasty warriors. So I can see a lot from that. Its just that Pan Qing Fu mentioned the twisting and snapping it at the waist so the tip bobs. I can't do that.

From the waist it seems like a twist punch from horse to bow stance but with the wrist twisting the opposite way as a twist punch.

I read on the Baji about the eliptical blocking. Sounds cool. Thanx everybody for all your help.

I read everywhere that traditionally the poles are 8-10 feet, but they only sell 6 foot spears. Oh well. If I can find a snake spear head, I'll be set, then all I need is the shield.