PDA

View Full Version : Vajrayana chants (meanings, representations) Attn: Prana

Ryu
01-25-2002, 12:31 PM
Prana,
The chant "om mani pemme hung" is from what I understand a "purification" chant.

Are there chants that are aimed more for protection, or even attacking an evil "spirit" etc?
May sound like a strange question, but I'm curious .

Ryu

prana
01-25-2002, 05:18 PM
"OM MANI PEMME HUNG" is the chant of universal love and compassion, the chant to spread the compassion of Chenresig (Buddha Avalokitashevra) toward the 6 realms. The 6 syllable mantra also corresponds to the 6 energy centers. From the secret chakras to the crown.

The most powerful purification chant I can think of is that of Buddha Vajrasattva. You already know the Vajrasattva sadhana I presume, the mantra of Om Vajrasattva Hum (Om Vaj Ra Sat Tua Hung).

Are there chants that are aimed more for protection, or even attacking an evil "spirit" etc?
Chants that requests the Mara's from jealousy are usually done by a Lama and not taught to us directly. They are usually done at the time of initation, to remove hindrance. This is followed by the invitation of Protector Deities and dedication prayers are given, and rice offerings given.

Rinponchela gave us a mantra for protection, but he performed a Lung transfer to us before it would become effective, so I dare not share it with you because I am not able to do Lung projection (kinda like a Qi Gong transfer so that mantra becomes effective). There are various other deities but I am in no position to speak of them.

However he did say that both the mantra of Karmapa "Karmapa Kyen No" and also the mantra of Guru Rinponche (Buddha Padmasambhava). The Sadhana states "Clear away all obstructions and misleading forces"

"OM AH HUM BENZA GURU PEMA SIDDHI HUM"

Actually there is no easy answers, as we are continuously presuaded by Maras...it is up to us to attain emptiness via the meditation of emptiness, Vipassana and attain stability, and then perform the sadhana to the Buddhas of which we feel most ... (I am not sure of the word)...protected by, and perform the sadhana.

I overheard you have a Mala now, perhaps you should get your Mala blessed.

Good luck, if you want the full prayers (or anything else at all), PM me. But more importantly, you need to find a root Guru and take refuge if you havent already.

EDIT: I think you are aware that Mantras work at a deeper level than just that of speech, so it is the reason why getting empowerment and receiving the energies makes the practise more effective. It is also the reason why many deities cannot be used without empowerment. And most importantly, I cannot 'teach' because I am not a teacher. I can only echo what Rinponche-la speaks or what Sadhanas teach, buit I sincerely hope you find a root guru :)

prana
01-25-2002, 05:35 PM
heheh I am awaiting the usual responses of "Om My Breakfast is Ready Hum" replies. :) ;) :D

Laughter is great !

SifuAbel
01-25-2002, 08:36 PM
don't forget the gaiatry and the triambikam

prana
01-25-2002, 08:56 PM
Tara's mantra is OM TARE TUTTARE TURE SOHA

OM represents Tara's holy body, speech and mind.

TARE means liberating from true suffering, the sufferings of samsara, our aggregates being under the control of delusion and karma.

TUTTARE means liberating from the 8 fears, the external dangers, but mainly from the internal dangers, the delusions, and also karma.

TURE means liberating from the ignorance of the absolute nature of the I; it shows the true cessation of suffering.

SOHA means "may the meaning of the mantra take root in my mind."

Also, in the context of the Lam Rim, TARE refers to the graduated path of the lower capable being; TUTTARE refers to the path of the middle capable being; TURE refers to the path of the higher capable being. So the meaning is that by taking refuge in Tara and doing Tara practice, we can achieve the fully enlightened state with the four Kayas, which is the state of cessation of, or liberation from, the two obscurations.

To practise reciting Tara's mantra, you can visualize Tara in front of you, with a white syllable OM at her crown, a red syllable AH at her throat and a blue syllable HUM at her heart. As you recite the mantra, visualize rays of light flowing from these three places, and striking your three places. These purify all negative karma and obscurations of your body, speech and mind created from beginningless time.

Alternatively, you can visualize Tara on the crown of your head, and do the visualization as above.

Recite as many mantras as you wish. At the end, pray to Tara to help you develop bodhicitta -- your practice of ethics, and your development of bodhicitta are what please Tara the most. This is the best offering you can make to Tara, and will bring you closer to her.

Then, Tara dissolves into light, which dissolves through your forehead (or crown) and into your heart. Feel "My body, speech and mind are now blessed to become Tara's body, speech and mind." Then dedicate the merit that you will become Enlightened -- like Tara -- in order to be able to help all sentient beings.
(from Tara the Liberator by Ven Lama Zopa Rinpoche, Wisdom Publications.)

Ryu
01-25-2002, 09:17 PM
Prana,
Man, thank you so much for taking the time to write all that, and explain things so clearly. I really appreciate it.

Those posts were very insightful. Thanks again!

Ryu

prana
01-26-2002, 12:11 AM
Ryu

No problems Ryu. Glad to be of help.

Sifu Abel

I did a quick search about your suggestions. Although I know nothing about Hindu mantras, it still interesting, some links I could find...

http://www.goddessherself.com/mantras/mantras.htm
http://www.shivapuri.com/om_tryambakam.htm

Very interesting indeed, SifuAbel, do you follow the teachings of the Vedas ?

SifuAbel
01-26-2002, 11:31 AM
I'll come right out and be direct and definate.............

hmmmmmmmmmmm maybe