PDA

View Full Version : What is Jow Ga Like?

rogue
12-07-2000, 06:45 PM
Anyone?

I used to be daga

bigbear
12-08-2000, 02:19 AM
Jow Ga is very similar to Hung Ga, like brother arts. some forms are the same names. the founder of jow ga was a hung ga practitioner. it can be a very powerful system with very good bridging techniques. you will find that some techniques are performed in lots of threes.
overall it is a very strong system. you start off external then the higher levels go internal.

rogue
12-08-2000, 03:24 AM
Thanks bigbear. I'll have to give it a look see.

I used to be daga

Taijimantis
12-08-2000, 05:08 PM
I was under the impression that it was the other way around...
There is a Sifu in my town who teaches Jow Gar, and Wing Chun. When I have talked to him I got the impression that Jow Ga was very, very old, and that a practitioner went on to found Hung gar...

Interesting... I will have to ask him...

fiercest tiger
12-09-2000, 12:13 AM
the jow brothers were alive in the 18-19 hundreds. unless hung gar is a fairly new style, which it isnt. your sifu must have said it wrong. :rolleyes:

peace

bakmeimonk@hotmail.com

Taijimantis
12-09-2000, 05:35 AM
He isnt my sifu. I am a mantis guy, and dont claim to know squat about anything else...
Thats what I count on youz guyz fer ;)

bigbear
12-09-2000, 12:27 PM
taijimantis,
Jow gar was founded by Jow Lung who was trained in hung gar by his uncle. his uncle passed away before jow lung learnt the whole system. anyway to cut a long story short, jow lung also learnt northern shaolin. having combined hung gar with choy gar he created jow gar. he taught it to his other 4 brothers, but had died at an early age of 31(i think) from neumonia.