PDA

View Full Version : Movements against grapplers??

realkungfubrasil
12-09-2000, 01:52 AM
Hi fellows, I have a very delicate question. Nowadays in the real fights, the majority of the guys are grappling and at least trying to go on ground fighting. My qustions is very simple. What movements the traditional kung-fu fighters have been using against grapplers? Do you practice ground fight? Do you practice hitting and striking while you are in the ground? Do you practice kicking and punching someone's in the ground? Those are very realistic situations for us in Brasil (because of brazilian jiu-jitsu and other grapplers, specially those practicing submission wrestling) and I would like to receive more infos. Particularlly we in our kwoon practice a little of ground fighting, plus our chin-na and throws of kung-fu. But we still think this is not enough. We should practice hitting in the ground.
Thanks for the attention, let's keep rise and up the tradition!!!

old jong
12-10-2000, 01:59 AM
Hey friend.
Look's like you live right in lion territory!My best advices to you would be 1:Try not to go to the ground.2:Expect a grappler to shoot to your legs.3:don't kick the legs ,they're used to that a lot.4:Use the shortest and simplest moves when they're close enough.5:practice to have a good uppercut!...very good against a croutching opponent. all the best.
It's 20degres below in Montreal!...How is it in Rio...Lucky guy!!! :cool:

Kung Lek
12-10-2000, 03:32 AM
HI-

A couple of things that I have found useful for those that charge high or charge low.

As has been said, grapplers "shoot" for a clinch to your body to take you down to where they have been trained to execute their techniques which are generally locks that lead to a break or choke outs.

Moving at 45 degree angles to the shooter at his moment of commitment followed by a counterstrike as you move or roll away from the shoot.

In some instances, when the shooter is moving low to your legs, a hook and trap to the neck or back of the head and pressing the shooter to the ground will neutralize the attack. This is also carried out at the moment of the shooters commitment to the attack.

evasion tactics are important when you are a striker and your opponent is a clincher. You have to work from his outside and keep a distance that you can bridge in and out of and remain in anticipation of his moments of commitment.

Do not seek to close on a grappler, let the grappler come to you as much of your defense will be the counter offense towards the grappler.

peace

Kung Lek

Black Jack
12-10-2000, 05:13 AM
The problem is that not everything is as black and white as one guy is a grappler and the other guy is a striker.

Your attacker could be a good striker, good kicker, good infighter, good grappler and a good weaponsman as well.

Good grapplers will strike to set you up for a takedown and good streetfighters will only go for the takedown if you have no buddies around to help you out or the enviroment is to his benefit.

When a attacker has momentum on his side and he gets a solid grip on you either with a few strikes of his own or none at all it is pretty hard to keep from ending up on your kester.

In a streetfight the trick is to get up and out of his grip as soon as possible in case of multiple attackers and the fact that your awareness in the groundrange is very limited.

The hard part of that solution is when you are in the groundfighting range and you do not have the flight time, physical attributes, skills and concepts to out manuver your attacker so you can get back on your feet and run or finish him on the ground if need be.

A skilled street wrestler will nail almost anybody he can get his hands who does not have a understanding of the groundfighting game plan.

Those type of guys use maiming and striking tools as well as locks and breaks when he graps a hold of you, eye gouging, pinching, bone breaking, biting, strangulation, small joint manipulation, hair pulling, ripping and punching from the mount are pretty common stuff that a experianced street wrestler wil use.

As you can tell its a pretty nasty range to be in if the guy is skilled and does not care about human life or realy wants to mess up your day.

Dont forget about concealed weapons either, blades can come out in this range just as easily as they can in the standup game.

Practice ground grappling with a training knife or marker with a couple or your buddies so you can get a feel of what I mean.

Train in all ranges so you can get experiance in as much stuff as you can. If your school does not work the ground game than work with some friends on freestyle ground fighting or get some crosstrianing if you have the money and the time.

Be Safe

Regards

old jong
12-10-2000, 05:54 AM
I think Black Jack is perfecly right in his comments.The street fighter can be a very dangerous foe.But...Let's not forget what kung fu is about!We can do pretty nasty things ourselfes.Just fight like a tiger!

YinHands
12-12-2000, 10:36 AM
learn qigong and you can just stand there and watch your opponent try to pull, trip, throw or push you down. not to boast myself but... it's fun to watch them try!! build your root and they can't budge your feet or anything.

BIU JI
12-12-2000, 11:54 PM
I don't know about an uppercut if he his already head down going for the legs. If he is low then the back of his head and neck are exposed so why not pivert and hammer the back of the neck, that'll drop him pretty quick if you land it. The uppercut might only hit his forehead which is the hardest part and could break your hand , a hammer uses the soft part on the back of his head or neck. With your conditioning against the neck won't have a problem. ;)

old jong
12-13-2000, 03:51 AM
It always depend on the angles at our disposition!the uppercut can work under certains circumstances(the face is not to low yet).There is also the sweet idea of lifting a knee at the right moment in the face while pulling the head down.