PDA

View Full Version : Kung Pow

jun_erh
01-26-2002, 01:02 PM
thumbs up here. It uses quite a bit of footage from a 70's film called "Tiger and Crane Fists" that I'd actually seen and liked alot. The female lead Tse Ling Ling, looks great on the big screen. If you like lowbrow jim carrey type humour definately check it out.

wangsizhong
01-26-2002, 02:56 PM
my brother and i went in with really low expectations and ended up laughing most of the way through. :)

Wang Si Zhong

Poison'dDragon
01-27-2002, 09:29 PM
The last thing MA needs is another sh*tty movie to make fun of it, I think a screen wirter or two needs his a$$ kicked. . .

txwingchun
01-28-2002, 07:55 PM
I went in with low expectations and left my intelligence at the door. I was a bit funnier thatn I thought it would be.

GeneChing
07-21-2015, 02:15 PM
THOUGHTS: Kung Pow II is finally happening!
July 21, 2015 albertv1979

https://worldfilmgeek.files.wordpress.com/2015/07/thechosenone.jpg?w=300&h=169

In 2002, comedian Steve Oedekerk, the man responsible for co-writing some of the 90’s funniest goofy films (Ace Ventura: Pet Detective and The Nutty Professor remake) did something ingenious. He created a new movie that would have himself in the lead role. However, this was something very different. He would take a 1977 martial arts film called Tiger and Crane Fist, digitize himself in the role played by the legendary Jimmy Wang Yu, and virtually re-dub all the voices and insert new scenes with actors Jennifer Tung and Leo Lee along with various stuntmen. The result was the comedy Kung Pow! Enter the Fist.

The end of the film left a sort of teaser that would be Kung Pow II: Tongue of Fury. For years, Oedekerk had mentioned that he was trying to find a way to develop it and how to go about making this sequel. Well, something must have finally clicked.

On July 19 at the Dragonfest convention in Burbank, California, Steve Oedekerk made the official announcement that after thirteen years, he is finally going ahead with Kung Pow II. What’s going to happen with The Chosen One on his next outing? That remains a mystery, but the fact that Oedekerk finally announced it must mean he has a plan set in motion to make this happen.

What are my thoughts? I loved the original Kung Pow! even though many will find it ridiculously cheesy, which is exactly what Oedekerk was going for to begin with. He wanted to mesh his brand of humor with his love for kung fu movies. I saw the original film on opening weekend, going both Saturday and Sunday because it made me laugh so hard. It will be quite interesting and fun to see what Oedekerk will have up his sleeve next…and Steve, please, bring back the “gopher chucks”!

srlsy? 13 years later? well, if it happens, we'll split this off into its own thread.

Jimbo
07-21-2015, 03:48 PM
The first Kung Pow was stupid, and not in a good way. IMO, there is no need for a Kung fu movie spoof. It's something that's long been overdone in American comedy (especially the dubbed English voices); and anyway, the Hong Kong KF comedies of the late 70s/early 80s already spoofed KF movie conventions, and MUCH better.