PDA

View Full Version : The prob w/ stationary Dummies...

Majic Sam
01-26-2002, 08:01 PM
The problem with fixed,or stationary dummies is that they are limited in movement.They still serve the same purpose as mounted types but have no lateral or front/back movement.You may as well just nail 2x4's to a telephone pole.Much cheaper,and the neighborhood will leave you alone after you show off your dummy form out on the local roadside/boulevard!

anerlich
01-26-2002, 09:00 PM
The problem with fixed,or stationary dummies is that they are limited in movement.

Jeez, maybe that's why they're called "fixed" or "stationary". :D

Mike Young, in either MA Training or IKF, once showed how to make a WC dummy out of a telephone pole and some metal tubing. Wouldn't be my first choice, but still better than nothing.

Am I right in guessing you sell live dummies or know someone who does? Not that there's anything wrong with that....

Rolling_Hand
01-26-2002, 09:14 PM
I've seen a Bamboo dummy from China... this dude was jumping around like a butterfly with his dummy. Surely one of a kind - another Kung Fu myth!

Majic Sam
01-27-2002, 10:42 PM
Anerlich-you are correct,almost.I make dummies,but only pvc at this point...one day I'll show the world.

The topic came to mind after seeing a really nice looking trad jong advert in a recent mag.I was thinking "****,that's a nice looking...",then noticed that it was fixed.I hate it when that happens!Good price,though.And space saving,I suppose.

Anerlich-I notice that you are in OZ.oi,oi,oi!Do you listen to Nick Cave,The Saints,,or Radio Birdman at all?All great Aus. bands.

anerlich
01-27-2002, 11:18 PM
I'm not really a Nick Cave fan, he has too much of a commitment to ill health and too much of a fixation on violence and the dark side for my taste.

Birdman were the BEST. My copy of Radios Appear still gets regular rotation on my CD player, esp. "Aloha Steve and Dano".

Look forward to seeing the PVC dummy. Some guys here made one about six years ago, but it didn't sell that well, I gather it was pretty fragile, and bloody expensive.

One of my Si-hings, Alf del-Brocco, has a bit of a rep for breaking dummies ... if it survives what he can dish out, you would have a good product.

Majic Sam
01-28-2002, 01:04 PM
Anderlich-Thankfully,Nick has kicked his self destructive ways and is quite the family man,bibliologist,these days.Ever notice that his bad assed characters always meet a very unheroic,comedic demise by songs end?Almost moralistic,really.

Dennis Tek just played in Vancouver.Good to know that he is still around.Ever listen to "New Race"?Stooges and MC5 members with Birdman,great stuff!

PVC dummies HAVE to made w/ c-900 grade.Sewer type will eventually give in.How about sending me some Aus. jarrah logs?Just float it over,I'll catch it on the other side!HAHAHA!

[Censored]
01-28-2002, 01:41 PM
Does anyone here use one of those rotating dummies? What do you think is the advantage in training with these, instead of or in addition to to the normal stationary dummies?

anerlich
01-28-2002, 03:02 PM
Ah, Deniz Tek ...

I've always been a major fan of this guy ... ace rock guitarist, qualified MD working in emergency rooms, plus a jet fighter pilot to boot.

Makes me feel like the laziest guy on earth.

NC, yeah, maybe he's changed - either that or he was going to die, I guess. I like black comedy as much as anyone (e.g. The Wasp Factory) but not ALL THE **** TIME.

whippinghand
01-28-2002, 07:21 PM
Your feeling about the deficiency of the stationary dummy indicates that you don't understand its purpose. Perhaps you should check with your sifu.

Majic Sam
01-28-2002, 08:03 PM
Right on Anderlich!
Censored-I don't see the purpose of a rotating dummy.Defeats the purpose of manuevering around oncoming force.A rotating device might be cool for weapons traing,though.