PDA

View Full Version : Chiu Wai Performance

South Paw
12-09-2000, 09:51 PM
Today I was talking to someone who saw Chiu Wai performing as tournament competitor at a tournament in Tianjin in 1986. The guy who told me, a former teammember of the Japanese Wushu Team, was very impressed by Chiu Wai performing Ng Ying Kuen. With this performance in the southern traditional division he took second place.

I can imagine how Chiu Wai performed because I am in the possession of a videotape that has been made around this same year in Hong Kong (Colisseum?), also performing Ng Ying Kuen.

I must admit that the performance of Chiu Wai and a performance I saw by Chiu Chi Ling of Ng Ying Kuen had the same intensity, strength and flavour.
(I already posted this last remark which got me a nice reply from Paul S., but I forgive him).

Interesting when you know that:
a. At that time Chiu Wai was about 55 years of age.
b. His father Chiu Kau also went to China as competitor in the late fifties (being 60+ of age) and won prizes.

Question:
Is there some verification about Chiu Wai entering this tournament in Tianjin in 1986?

South Paw

bean curd
12-10-2000, 10:46 AM
my sifu went over with chiu wai sigung when he did tourneys in mainland.

i have many of his demo's in southern section, from many years of his playing as well as other performances he did.

chiu wai did many demo's on hong kong t.v. and also played in many competitions in the mainland, especially from the late 60's to the late 80's.

he still now plays in tourneys in the u.s.a. and in europe.

the one you mentioned, why do you ask for verification????

in particular he came second in the 1980's comp. a video from mainland was produced on this occasion.

in a masters section played sup ying kuen, to thunderous applause

you are correct about chiu kau si dai gung, he was very honoured and a great player to win such a tourney

[This message was edited by bean curd on 12-11-00 at 02:54 AM.]

CPS
12-10-2000, 12:26 PM
hi South Paw,

One correction for you. Chiu Wai didn't show Ng Ying, but demo version of Sap Ying Kuen. You can see chi kung - snake -tiger - elements.

South Paw
12-10-2000, 01:58 PM
Bean Curd wrote: "why do you ask for verification????"

Must say I'm very impressed. I did know about Chiu Kau entering tournaments, but was not well informed about Chiu Wai. You helped me fill in these gaps.

Thanks.

South Paw

bean curd
12-11-2000, 07:02 AM
partick.

in this particular tourney, there where two sections that chiu wai played in.

one was southern section,and to be honest it looked more like a short version of fu/hok than ng ying kuen.

on the sup ying kuen this was done in another section, that was not for comp. it was as you have said a "demo" section.

we accompanied sigung at this tourney.

CPS
12-11-2000, 12:32 PM
Hi Bean Curd,

I have only seen a video of a demo in HK. Here Chiu Wai only showed demo Sup Ying. I know South Paw has seen this video only too. So therefore I assume South Paw ment Sup Ying instead of Ng Ying.

PC