PDA

View Full Version : Kiai

Stumblefist
10-04-2001, 12:05 PM
I generally ldo.
Some do. Like Southern Styles.
Some don't. Like Northern Mantis.
Why is mostly obvious, but why or why not?
What's your opinion?

"A wish to go to Heaven is the very beginning of falling into Hell."

scotty1
10-04-2001, 12:53 PM
Hits the spot sometimes.

HuangKaiVun
10-04-2001, 01:11 PM
Our style does not, as we need silence for breath control.

SLC
10-04-2001, 01:41 PM
Our style does it strongly.

Ben Laden, your operation was good; real good in fact. But you fu*ked up one little thing... you didn't get all of us.

Chang Style Novice
10-04-2001, 03:44 PM
I thought kiai was a kind of breath control. But I've only been taught to do it in the elephant form; of course mostly what I do is taijiquan.

Can you imagine a taiji kiai? Me either.

GunnedDownAtrocity
10-04-2001, 06:54 PM
I do taichi and we do kia's.

ok .. maybe not while working taichi techniques, but i think my teacher has us do it in the begining to develope attitude and intent.

where's my beer?

Kaitain(UK)
10-04-2001, 07:05 PM
'hen' and 'ha' are in taiji - they serve a similiar purpose (explosive expansion of the abdomen 'ha' or 'kiai' - 'hen' is for receiving)

"If ignorance is bliss, why aren't more people happy?"

Chang Style Novice
10-04-2001, 07:11 PM
Oh, yeah. We do a lot of internal breathing in taiji that serves to focus intent and movement/projection of qi. But in proper taiji posture, as I learned it (including mouth closed, molars together, tongue touching the point where upper teeth and palate meet) it would be almost impossible to make a loud kiai.

Nutt'nhunny
10-05-2001, 12:59 AM
northern stlyes and tai chi HA, from the diaphram, same idea.

My sifu doesn't make us because we don't want to be associated with lesser arts that make the kiai, kiap, their trademark. Its bad enough that people think kung fu guys scream like cats in heat thanx to bruce lee.

kungfu cowboy
10-05-2001, 02:56 AM
Ah. That explains my sore bottom. :(

"If do right, no can defense!"----Mr. Miyagi

Silumkid
10-05-2001, 06:00 AM
On the subject of kiais, I am watching ESPN "Forms Grand Championships"...it makes me wish the kiai never existed. It's very disturbing to me to see rail-thin white boys with Dutch Boy/Mullets combinations (often curled like afros) screaming like banshees while holding their foot up in the air. *******ization is everywhere.

We are trained in wushu; we must protect the Temple!