PDA

View Full Version : What makes a good martial artist?

EARTH DRAGON
01-28-2002, 08:19 AM
I dont know how many of you ever bother venturing over to read the threads on the main board but once every 1000 threads a good one comes along. I thought that I would post it here for some more grown up reponses other than the
"martial artists that wins all his fights by kicking everyones a$$" type responses, again this post was originally threaded by wusu chik but I thought it would bring more insight over here... so please tell us what you think what make a good martial artist?

Tainan Mantis
01-28-2002, 08:39 AM
Well, what is the dif between a MA and other types of artist?
Painter, musician etc. Then we have to try and differentiate between artist and craftsman.

About "..wins fights..." I think the question to that answer would be"how do you define a good fighter?"

So by the way you worded your question you must think there is a difference between a fighter and a MArtist. So what is the difference?

And while answering that could you also tell me if your falls are done like in judo or what is the difference?

Kiasyd
01-28-2002, 10:26 AM
Well, what is the dif between a MA and other types of artist?
Painter, musician etc. Then we have to try and differentiate between artist and craftsman.

Well, my guess here, is that there is no difference between Martial Arts and any other kind of Art (Music, Painting etc.).

The word Art came from "Ars" (Latin) wich translates (aprox.) to "technique", so one is an "artist" when he dominates his "technique" by whatever mean, like hard training, extensive practice, insight, or even, as a "natural gift".

Of course, "Art" has a greater meaning than "technique", and I think that this meaning is related to the expression ( or impression ) of an idea. Also, this idea should not be the objective of the Art, but an "underlying info" available through further exposition to this Art.

I think that's why when someone just takes the competitive aspects of a martial art, it seem a little bit dull, afterall, as many traditional masters say "Fighting is just an small portion of Kung Fu".

-- Kiasyd

EARTH DRAGON
01-28-2002, 12:01 PM
Again it is not my question but merely a post of wusu chick. Her question in which I responded........

humbleness
intent
dedication
dicipline
patients
insight
openmindedness
just to name a few...

But all other the posts after I posted that were taken out of context by people saying that those character traits are just for regular people and have nothing to do with being a martial artist. And what it takes to be a good matial artist is ability to win fights which I thought had nothing at all to do with being a martial artist.
So tainan I am with you in saying that being a good fighter has nothing to do with being a MA. and quite frankly I have met great fighters who were lousy MA and visa versa, so I figured it would be better dissgussed over here then in the kids forum for I think it is a great question that I am curious to hear everyones answers.

mantis108
01-28-2002, 12:18 PM
The defination of a good martial artist on these forum is simply a cup full of water. Not empty cup, quater cup or half a cup but a full cup of water. If you break the cup, which can easily achieve, then the water is all over the place. There will no martial artist. That my friend is the extend to the understanding of what a good martial artist is here. I am sorry martial arts is not the cup, which is sadly the only tangible mean to measure how much water (the human being within) it can hold. How much water can a 8 ozs cup hold? Merely 8 ozs. How many of us can be the water that fills the enormous invisible cup? I am afraid that large number of people on these forums will always have a 8 oz cup, which for many is the standard comfort zone.

Mantis108

MightyB
01-28-2002, 02:18 PM
I would say that a good martial artist is someone who truly enjoys practicing martial arts. It's the person who can find infinite ways to keep drills fresh and stimulating and who has a capacity to be humble enough not to let their egos get in the way of enjoying the martial arts.

flem
01-30-2002, 09:05 PM
a martial artist is the water and everything that that implies.

Ego_Extrodinaire
01-31-2002, 07:25 AM
The word "ART" seems to imply something personal about what the martial artist does - much like a personal trademark that distinguishes him / her from someone else. An equivalent would be seeing the distinctive characteristics between say Backstreet Boys and S Club 7 so to speak.

"Martial" means combat. Putting the 2 together, a good martial artist should have a fiendish / creative flare about they way in which he/ she approaches combat. For example 2 students may learn 8 step praying mantis kung fu. But if they're good martial artist, you should see their distinctive character flowing through the systems - much like the way 2 pianist may play the instruments differently.

However, it is a necessary requirement that good martial artist are good fighters. However, in addition to this they must be able to apply their fighting methods creatively, with personal trademark but at the same time be practical.

Hua Lin Laoshi
01-31-2002, 08:55 AM
Ego_Extrodinaire
I like your description of "martial artist". I feel that when I do a form I'm doing my interpretation of that form. I tend to get a little upset these days if I get a minor correction unless it comes with an application explanation. IOW, don't tell me to move my hand slightly unless it makes a difference in the app. Funny but it seems to me that the guys who put their own flavor into a form or move are seen as not doing it the "right" way. For me, if it works and you can use it then it's the right way. Of course show stuff is different.

draco
01-31-2002, 09:15 AM
A good practitioner / MA would be someone who could break away from the dogma and view the art and it's mistakes and come back to be twice as good.

flem
01-31-2002, 10:06 AM
hua lin laoshi

AD was the best MAist from WL, he also believed what you said. of course you will not hear this opinion where you are:)

Ego_Extrodinaire
02-01-2002, 06:03 AM
Hua,

Perhaps that small move works in combination with other parts of the form to become an application. There may not be a 1 to 1 corresponding relationship between a move in a form and an application.

Rather I see forms as a way of teaching concepts through a set of examples. An artist should be one who understands the forms and be able to apply the concepts in a creative way. There's a difference between memory work and understanding!