PDA

View Full Version : Question for Rene: YKS San Sik

Sandman2[Wing Chun]
01-28-2002, 12:24 PM
Rene,
I was wondering if you would mind telling me a little bit about what is classified as "san sik" exercises in YKS wing chun, ie: how many of them, what a couple of them are...etc....I'd really appreciate it!

dzu
01-28-2002, 01:07 PM
If you haven't done so already, check out Rene's book on YKSWCK. He has some examples in there.

Dzu

reneritchie
01-28-2002, 03:16 PM
Hi,

(Thanks first to Dzu for the plug, your usual 120% commission is in the mail! Ha!)

I have an article up at http://www.wingchunkuen.com/sumnung

In a nutshell, however, they are 12 seperate forms (as opposed to linked forms which is what Siu Lien/Nim Tao and the like are).

The first four (sometimes called Sei Go Bun Choi or 4 Basic Punches), as the name implies, train the horse and the punch. First is the straight punch from YJKYM (and the chain punch), second is the turning punch, third the front and side turning punch (similar to Yip Man's pole training Arrow Fist), forth is the step and turn and punch. So, basically, another approach to progressive training.

The next four focus on basic cycles (in/out up/down). These include inside/outside fook, tan, lap, and huen.

The last four introduce new ways of expressing power (eg. the flapping wing) and adds the legs in (eg. white crane seizing the fox).

As both Cheung Bo and Yuen Kay-San (Sum Nung's first and second sifu) had San Sik, there are others as well and they sometimes vary from student to student. That's the gist, though.

Rgds,

RR

rubthebuddha
01-29-2002, 12:54 AM
oh, and for those silly hosers that couldn't get rene's link to work, delete the period at the end of the address.