PDA

View Full Version : chi kung and kidneys

KC Elbows
01-29-2002, 09:47 AM
I've been having problems the last week or two, I've got a doctor's appointment, but I wanted some input from you guys. I've felt like my kidney is bruised or something, yet I haven't done anything recently to bruise it to my knowledge.

Anyway , what kind of chi kung is safe to do during such times. I can't seem to do much heavy workout stuff right now, but I'd like to do some chi kung to maintain my health. The main exercises I do are one to build up my chi, one to show how to direct it to the arms, and one that shows how to direct it to the legs(pardon me if my terminology is incorrect, as I am by no means a highly knowledgeable chi kung practitioner).

I'm kind of nervous, as my grandfather had a birth defect that caused him to be born with three kidneys, one fully functional, and two only partially functional. By the time he died, he had only the one left, though he lived a full and long life. I've never been checked for this, but I have a lot of other similar traits to him.

KC Elbows
01-29-2002, 03:28 PM
Unfortunately, I cannot do the grand circulation yet. Basically, all I have done(as opposed to heard of or read the theory of) is build up the chi and lead it to my arms/legs and back. Not sure what that would be called, but that's it. Oh, and build up chi.

prana
01-29-2002, 05:45 PM
I don't practise the same Qi-Gong as you folks do, sitting in horse stance, compressing airs etc. .... but I fear it could be hurtful at a time like this.

But because kidneys are sore, perhaps simply placing your mind at your Dan-Tien and resting your mind in it, is good enough to promote healing. To make it more effective, keeping your breathing absolutely natural (no forcing or contractions of the rectum), follow white light from your nose into your kidney region and exhaling your 'pain' out as dark smoke, under a tree or in a clean and quiet room....

Nexus
01-29-2002, 08:34 PM
I wouldn't advice just jumping into any specialized meditation without proper instruction, especially if that instruction is just a few quick words on a martial arts forum. What is being spoken about here is the smaller and larger heavenly circle meditations. One thing that will be necessary in building up kidney chi is to abstain from sexual activity as the sexual energy is stored in the kidneys and is directly corresponding to the immune system. Anyways you might want to pick up a copy of Jou, Hwu "The Dao Of Meditation: The Way To Enlightenment" for more specifics on these meditation techniques.

KC Elbows
01-30-2002, 09:37 AM
Note taken, Nexus. Apparently, I have learned the small circulation, though I didn't know what it was by name, but I have never reversed it before, and now might not be a good time to learn it on my own. I've spoken to my teacher, and I am on a strictly chi kung practice for a while, so we'll see how that helps.

Thanks, everyone. I'll keep you posted.

Nexus
01-30-2002, 12:43 PM
I remember once I had an energetic headache where I felt a lot of energy built up around the middle of my forhead - 3rd eye point. I went to two different teachers of mine, one who has 25+ years experience in medical chi kung and so forth and the other one is his student as well. The teacher with 25+ years recommended I just do standard standing dan tien breathing and the other one recommended I do smaller heavenly circle meditation. Now one of these effectively circulates the chi, the idea being to bring chi up the spine down the front so its balanced throughout the body. The other of course brings chi to the lower dan tien. Well, it proved the simple standing and dan tien breathing was more effective for myself in that situation as it didn't require any concentrated moving of the chi through the body but rather focussing on a single point.

Just some thoughts.

Repulsive Monkey
02-10-2002, 07:57 AM
It can be extremely unwise to tell people to lead Qi through the greater heavenly circuit if they have not already opened it up well enough themselves, or through the help of their Master. If someone is not of that level of competence, then advising them to do such a thing as leading Qi over the head can be dangerous and injurous to their physical and mental health. If Qi )and usually does for people in primary stages of practice) gets stuck in the head then this can cause all sorts of problems for the practioner. It may just result in headaches and the such, but if it is continually practiced without a suitable teacher or guide to monitor progress correctly then it can get worse and go to migraines, nausea, mental confusion, insommnia and eventual hallucinations and possible pychosis. The heat from the Qi alone accumulationg in the head and being generated there could cause tissue swelling and possible thrombosis of cerebral passageways alone. Only practice Greater heavenly circuit circulation with a teacher or if you are 100% ure you can effectively complete the circuit and not allow Qi to stagnate in the head region. Placing the tongue to connect to the Ren25 position to the roof of the mouth is not the singular saving key to stopping Qi from descending down the Ren Mei.

prana
02-10-2002, 03:59 PM
Repulsive Monkey,

Very Valuable advice. Reverand Mahinda taught my brother who was practising shamata a while ago, have the discipline to go up, have the discipline to come down, that is, with training energies etc.

Discipline here of course, has a greater meaning but surely you Qi peeps know all about it....

He did get energy stuck in his head prior, had a migraine for 2 weeks. No cure, drugs etc, does not work. Sleep impossible.... but now I have a migraine. Sheeshkebabs

:eek: