PDA

View Full Version : Yip Man?

red5angel
01-29-2002, 12:38 PM
Why is Yip Man, "The Man" for WC? Really, I have heard a lot about him but it sounds like he was responsible for making popular, although indirectly.
Now, I could be way off here but I am just trying to figure out what makes him the big deal that he is?

old jong
01-29-2002, 12:59 PM
Too many Wing Chun people fall into idolatry concerning Yip Man! It is said that he was very good and some of his students were also very good.They proven it many times. He started a very big lineage (I think he had no idea about it!)Some of it excellent ,some of it "O.K." depending on the student propagating the art.Today, Yip man Wing Chun has many interpretations all claiming to be the real or pure one! Business as usual!...

There are many other lines of Wing Chun but none of them are so widespread or popular. This does not mean that they are not as good or effective.It could be because none of them had a certain Bruce Lee in the family!;)

Anyway, no man is bigger than the art! (IMHO)

Kuen
01-29-2002, 01:13 PM
At those father/son races the father with the most sons might appear to be the most popular due to having a larger cheering section but I'm sure all the others dads are just as excellent but have smaller cheering sections.

yuanfen
01-29-2002, 04:40 PM
And sometimes a father with many sons happens to be very good
in his knowledge irrespective of how many sons he has.

old jong
01-29-2002, 06:40 PM
I'm sure he was very,very good!...There are no doupts in my mind.

red5angel
01-30-2002, 08:01 AM
I have no doubt that he was very good, my question was, why is he such a big deal in the Win Chun world? Was he THAT good? Is his popularity deserved?

reneritchie
01-30-2002, 10:41 AM
There are probably many reasons, but among them (in addition to being good) I suspect:

1) He was the first to teach the general public in a relatively free society, ensuring many students and many, many, many more descendants
2) He had early students who both in the press and in Beimo helped spread his name
3) Among them was Bruce Lee, who is perhaps the icon of modern martial arts.

Rgds,

RR