PDA

View Full Version : Southern Throwing

8stepsifu
12-17-2000, 08:29 AM
Do you guys throw much? How prevalent is Shuai Chiao within your systems?

8Step Sifu

fiercest tiger
12-18-2000, 06:28 AM
in ykm we have many throws and seizing techniques, because of the inclose fighting theories we can use these skills after the person has been hurt or off balance. nothing like a good slamming on concrete ah! hehehe

but i dont teach to much at the beginning levels, i tend to develop kicking punging and trapping skills. once the students are farely good at it i move them onto seizing and throwing skills.

then adding the lot when they spar, i break it down, 1 round kicking, 2 roung punching and trapping, 3 round kicking,punching and trapping this is beginners level training.

i think most southern systems have shuia chuio skills to be honest. :D

peace

bakmeimonk@hotmail.com

premier
12-18-2000, 07:07 PM
Well. I'm not actually too familiar with shuai chio. I don't know what all is included. but I assume it's mostly throws and grappling.

We have many throws in Choy lee fut, but we don't practise them that much. about once in a week. we put a lot more emphasis on basic training and gam na.

I have problems figuring out where's the line between gam na and shuai chiao, because many of the gam na techniques end to somekind of throw or sweep.

MoQ
12-19-2000, 08:50 PM
Any of the Southern infighting styles should have the "throws" centering on any of the 8 areas. The legs do work just like arms except they are the arms you stand on. Oft times there is no followthrough if there is resistance, so there are many fakes.

WongFeHung
12-22-2000, 02:38 AM
There are many throws in Hung Ga. The element punches, sow choy, kup choy, soi hung choy, are all throws. In Gung-Fu, specifically my Hung-Ga, every move, and I mean EVERY move, has three applications: vital point strikes, joint locks, and take-downs. Most southern martial arts will tell you the same thing.

MonkeySlap Too
12-27-2000, 01:08 AM
I first started learning Shuai Chiao from a Southern teacher - he had just started training in it and needed a partner that was already used to taking falls.

He pointed out that the Southern style did not emphasize grappling as much, it did focus on a number of throws. The Chu Gar I studied was described to me as an 'anti-grappling' style, training Kam La (Qin Na)and power 'gings' to create sudden, machine gun like hits to overwhelm the opponent.

My teacher loved his Chu Gar, but he also loved his new art of Shuai Chiao. I ended up emphasizing the Shuai Chiao, but boy, those SPM guys can be fierce opponents. They emphasize a different method of fighting, so they have less throwing knowledge, but they know all kinds of really fascinating ways to engage the opponent with striking techniques.

So sure - there is throwing in Southern arts, but it does not seem to be the emphasis, or have the 'depth' of throwing knowledge you see in Shuai Chiao. But then, the Southern arts have other things that Shuiai Chiao does not go into depth on.

I am a big beleiver in luck. The more I work, the more luck I have.