PDA

View Full Version : Old Yang form part 2

IronFist
01-30-2002, 01:08 AM
Oi. I feel this is a sufficiently different topic to necessitate it's own thread.

Alright, for all you people out there who know Erle's Old Yang form, what do you think of it? Is it worth learning (I've learned probably the first 10 "movements" so far, but it's a big form so I want to make sure I really want to learn it before I take the time to finish). What have you gained from it? Etc. And, please add any other comments you may have about it.

Please don't use this thread to debate legitimacy, only to discuss experiences with the Old Yang style form.

Thanks,

Iron

miscjinx
01-30-2002, 07:46 AM
It is my favorite tai chi form - a close second is the old style Yi Lu Chen Style form, but that form is even longer as I am not doing the simplified version. I know of several Yang stylists (Cheng fu varieties) that really like watching the Yang Lu' Chan form and they say it helps them understand their forms. I found I like the occassional occurance of fajing or leaping kicks - which other yang style forms don't have that I have seen. Also, the form is gradual - which is nice. The form gets steadily more difficult - each third a step up from the last; or so it seems to me. Contained within the beginning of the first third are the basic directions of generating power...so it provides a great foundation.

Tai chi is my favorite martial art and the main reason it is was because of the Yang Lu Chan form...I don't like Yang Chen Fu or its varieties. I don't care for CMC's form...which is even softer. Yang Lu'Chan has vicious attacks and can obviously be used to fight by those watching it.

One thing against Yang Lu'Chan or at least how I received it was it is too linear and doesn't flow well in spots. Chen style has helped me learn a few things about Yang Lu'Chan form and I think improved my practice. I still see the Yang Lu'Chan form as something between today's tai chi (Yang Chen Fu) and Chen Style. There are commonalities and differences both directions (with YCF and Chen). I personally think it is worth learning. It has something to offer whether you stay in that form or not.

taijiquan_student
01-30-2002, 03:38 PM
"I don't care for CMC's form...which is even softer."

Is soft a bad thing? (a bit of ;) )

Ka
01-30-2002, 04:34 PM
This is hard to answer for me as I have drifted away from Earle.Through my Dad I used to train with Earle and some of his Instructors(Randell in QLD,Keith in NSW)so I will make a general comment on my feelings about the Man himself.
Firstly the form,I know what I like and I like this form,I like his YCF form as well,however I have mostly been exposed to YCF variations and stardardised WU and Yang before I got to Earle.I just like the feel it gives me sort of the quiet and the storm.
Next I don't know which tape you have but Earle often says he made mistakes/variations in one of his older tapes.True enough in most senimars he does a period on form corrections,and parts do change,I am sure this will raise lots of speculation.
The man himself is increbily informal,his training is hands on, you get to play with things and mix it up.I like this others may not.
I think his two person drills (not just push hands) enhance your understanding of the YLC form.

So after saying this I would recommend either finding some of his Qigong vids to start you off or his workshop vids(which I think are better value) to get an idea of his partner work as well as a bit of form work.Or finding some one who at least knows the YLC form to give you a few corrections.If you have the cash go his "to the Max" series rather than his one offs.

Ok no offence to Sam or Chris but some of Earles instuctors are very different to him,(I am talking more about Alan)and it may not matter to some people but if the instuctor is a **** I don't really care what he has, I don't want it.

Iron if it feels good do it,I have found stuff that I get more out of but a lot of stuff I got from earle I still use,and have found that a lot of stuff Earle teaches others don't know,don't like or consider higher level
play nice

:) :)

red_fists
01-30-2002, 05:24 PM
Is this the Form he describes in:

The old Yang style of Taijiquan.

Part 1,2 &3.

If that is the case I got the PDF Version, but have not tried it as I don't like studying from Books.

Seeya.

IronFist
01-30-2002, 06:46 PM
I've got the books I downloaded from him, and the Old Yang style video. I plan on using the books to help me with minor corrections or other things I might have missed, but I have a feeling I will learn 95% of it from the video.

Iron