PDA

View Full Version : Heavy Bag and your body

scotty1
01-30-2002, 01:59 AM
Hi
I was wondering about whether there were any negatives to working the bag, you know, jarring your wrists or back etc.
Also, I know that the bag will increase the power in your strikes, but what effect does it have on your body, say in comparison to calisthenics or weight training?

I'm talking muscles here people.:D

shaolinboxer
01-30-2002, 07:22 AM
if you gradually build your tolerance to the resistance of the bag, you muscles can become used to supporting the structure of your strikes. Your long muscles will grow, and your hands will feel lighter. However, you must be careful not to cramp your shoulders or you can damage them.

Much of the danger comes from trying to hit the bag to hard, and from not really knowing where the bag is.

I had trouble with damaging my wrists for a long time when using the bag, but then on guy taught me a drill that emilinated the problem (because I learned proper distancing).

The drill is to work you way around the bag...jab jab cross..jabjab cross...but to touch the bag at the very very end of your punch, so that the bag does not move at all. Barely touch it, but swing full power.

After a couple months of doing this drill (maybe 3-5 two minutes rounds a day), I began getting a bit closer. Another couple months and I could lay full blasts into the bag without hurting myself.

GunnedDownAtrocity
02-06-2002, 03:14 PM
so you are supposed to start at strikes length and move in as you progress?

bearpaw
02-10-2002, 02:56 AM
correct, though we don't working around the bag. a sight to see is four people working the same bag and it not moving ...

Stacey
02-10-2002, 09:46 PM
but on even greater site to see one bag folded in half by one person.

BP-Love the name.

guohuen
02-11-2002, 08:17 AM
The game in corrections was to knock the bag (150lbs.) to the ceiling and break the chain.

CD Lee
02-11-2002, 10:36 PM
You should be very careful striking hard at the end of your striking range, due to the possibility of hyper-extending your elbow joint. Make sure you do not lock out the elbow when doing something like this.

What do you mean by 'cramping the shoulders'

I am not sure what you mean by that, but am curious.

Also, have you guys had any trouble using bags made of non-leather materials as far as damage to your hands?

red_fists
02-11-2002, 10:39 PM
Somebody told me recently that he starts his Students by pushing the Fist against the Bag or training surface.

And only later on start to punch the bag or similar.

BSH
02-15-2002, 10:23 AM
Proper distance is one of the purposes of bag training. It also helps train footwork, speed, hand conditioning and the dispersal of Gin.

The heavy bag I train with is about 250 pounds filled with very small Stones. It is made out of denim as everything else has been ripping under the weight.

I don't recommend you use this type of bag without proper supervision. My bag training began with very slow strikes and lots of Dit Da. Speed and strikes were added slowly but Dit Da was used constantly, both on the hands and the joints to allow proper striking techniques including full extension. It has paid off. I can strike the bag full force without pain in any joints and without callouses on my hands.