PDA

View Full Version : Elbows question

scotty1
01-30-2002, 06:08 AM
How would you guys defend against an attempted elbow attack?

I've never trained hard in an environment where I have to worry about elbows to the face.

Presumably they're difficult to defend against because you've got to be so close to do them.

Or do you just hope that by the time you're in that close you're finishing them off?

Cheers big ears

wingchunner
01-30-2002, 07:06 AM
It really depends on what they are doing. Elbows are dangerous. If you can control their elbows, it's easier to control the person.

LEGEND
01-30-2002, 07:27 AM
COVER UP or CLINCH fast and tight.

guohuen
01-30-2002, 07:51 AM
Spin away from it in the direction it's coming.

Repulsive Monkey
01-30-2002, 08:00 AM
if you tighten up you'll get hit. I try to stay relaxed and if i can't get a Tiger grip on the incoming elbow then stick to it with a flat palm, turn with the waist attack the face as you close your opponents arm across their chest.

Water Dragon
01-30-2002, 08:04 AM
Wear headgear. Elbows will scar the $hit out of your face very easily. All it takes is one good one to the cheek.

Black Jack
01-30-2002, 08:19 AM
Elbows are a dangerous close quater ***** to deal with, its that fact alone that makes them so perfect.

I have personally seen a guys nose get smashed in JKDC practice by a training partner who went to far across on a clinching drill.

Repulsive Monkey,

Your defense sounds very unrealistic, against a aggressive attacker who is giving you a barrage of elbow shots and driving you with his forward pressure, the chance of grabbing, guiding and pushing away a full speed elbow strike, not to mention the fact that he is going to not be standing stock still when doing so, and more than not going ballistic to boot, plus your own adrenal dump, is IMHO far fetched.

Legend has some good advice, protect your **** and hit the ****er back, break his rythem when you are under fire.

Kaitain(UK)
01-30-2002, 08:29 AM
get the hell out the way :) if he's going for your head with a hook elbow then it's easier to dodge but you need to work partner drills on elbows to get comfortable at that range

I try and get contact with the tricep/upper arm so I can neutralise as much as possible but they come so fast and with so much power you're best bet is always to get out the way

Overhand elbows (the elbow goes over the top and crashes downwards) are a bit easier to jam as they aren't so solid, but again I'd advise a shift to the side (watch the uppercut from the other arm that might come in to catch yuu dodging)

Reverse elbows are a ***** - it's coming in a straight line with the whole body behind it and it'll cripple you if it lands. I can only say don't let this happen - if someone is that side-on to you that they are attempting it then they should be ripe for being nailed on the way in - that'd be my best hope.

So in short - get out the way as they aren't long range techs or attack them before they can land it. As someone said - if it lands you're probably in trouble

Kristoffer
01-30-2002, 08:37 AM
There is a elbow defence from nimpo tajutsu wich I consider very hard to do. It is not something that I would try if someone threw an elbow against me. I would probebly just try to bounce away, like a boxer. Fast :D
anyway,
the move is:

When the elbow is coming at you, ya just kinda pull the elbow upwards and then you give the attacker an short elbow in the armpit. It hurts like hell when done right but the timing is really though to pull off.
My friend saw a guy do this against some punk. Story is: It was in a place where alot of teenagers hang around in a kinda bad neighbarhood where I live. This big guy comes in and starts trouble with the guy who work there. Suddenly the punk just started wawing punches at him, but the staff went in close on him and managed to shove him away. Then he came at him again, throwing an elbow (full speed, full power). Then the staff did the above move. That ended the fight and the punk ran away.

Kristoffer
01-30-2002, 08:38 AM
if u want harder elbows, should ya hit an heavy bag then?

Black Jack
01-30-2002, 08:47 AM
Of course you should train your elbows on conditioning devices, not so much for hardening as they have all they need by nature but to "feel" them, to work on power, and body mechanics.

I like a tight and fast arching elbow where the elbow comes over the top as it will often connect withsomething, even if that something is not the target zone, but something is better than nothing.

Though all elbows are good.

Kristoffer
01-30-2002, 10:07 AM
we elbow log's of wood in my school.. :D
elbow-knee combo is the sweetest!!

Shaolin
01-30-2002, 10:41 AM
Don't be there when the strike is thrown. Understand it as you see it.

dubj
01-30-2002, 06:16 PM
I definately like elbows. We use them a lot in my style. One way that is hard to explain is if they throw a right hooking elbow to your head you can side step out of the way to the left while grabbing the back of the elbow and pulling it slightly down(basically parrying)so it off balances him to open you up to throw your own right elbow to the face over his.

halfling
01-30-2002, 08:15 PM
One word: hubud. It has a defense for elbows, hook punches, downward strikes, and straight punches that ive done.

African Tiger
01-30-2002, 08:26 PM
Strange enough, I was able to stop an elbow with a chopping forearm block.

It was just a light sparring match, so it wasn't coming full speed, but I stopped the attack by stepping slightly to the outside of the incoming arm, and striking the tricep just above the elbow. It happened so fast, I didn't realize what I had done until afterward.

Nichiren
01-31-2002, 02:24 AM
I would recommend looking at styles like WC, Hakka etc. They are in-fighting styles that have excellent elbow techniques and defence against elbows.

Kristoffer
01-31-2002, 04:17 AM
hakka?

Nichiren
01-31-2002, 04:41 AM
E.g. southern praying mantis...

mantis-1
01-31-2002, 05:59 AM
Defence against elbows in SPM, the guard is held out away from the body elbows in (beggars hands). At a level where you can implement correct techniques, your bridge should be strong enough not to allow the opponent to close it enough for him to hit you with his elbows. If he does get in and you manage to block/stop it, because you have your elbows in you have the weight of your whole body to stop the force not just relying on the power in your arms.

Repulsive Monkey
01-31-2002, 07:13 AM
I take it you practice external martial arts? I have used the very same same method that I explained in a fight in a bar once. All I can say is that I came untouched, which was quite the opposite for the fellow who tried to attack me. What I explained was a legitimate Taichi manouvure.

SevenStar
01-31-2002, 07:36 AM
halfling - are you a kalista?

SwaiingDragon
01-31-2002, 07:39 AM
If you can find a Long Fist practioner- try learning a traing form that is called "elbow form/fist"(easy enough)-i think in chinese its "jo chaun"

the form consists of about 2 dozen moves, simple, effective and helps you develop some power for close quarter confrontations.

mantis-1
01-31-2002, 07:44 AM
repulsive monkey I understand what you mean, we used to do similar movements whilst doing pushing hands. I recognise the movement from a form I learnt but it's name evades me. I'm not sure if I could pull it off though, but if you can stick to him you can control him.

scotty1
01-31-2002, 08:00 AM
Good replies, keep 'em coming.

I'd love to now what this means though:

"Understand it as you see it."

:confused:

How does that help in my defence against elbows?

Repulsive Monkey
01-31-2002, 08:18 AM
Thanks. What you said was quite integral to my initial response. Sticking, and listening energy if well trained is not impeded by speed by an unknown opponent. I do not of course elevate myself with these words, because I am merely a student, but I've said what I have experienced so far.

Nichiren
01-31-2002, 08:38 AM
Dubj: I like the defence you are describing.

One way that is hard to explain is if they throw a right hooking elbow to your head you can side step out of the way to the left while grabbing the back of the elbow and pulling it slightly down(basically parrying)so it off balances him to open you up to throw your own right elbow to the face over his.

I do exactly the same thing and often counter with an elbow myself. A fast counter I like is after grabbing the back of the elbow with the left arm pulling it slightly down, step in and strike him with the left elbow(same arm as grabbing).