PDA

View Full Version : WSL Knife demo

Nat from UK
01-30-2002, 06:47 AM
There is a story of Wong Shun Leung doing a demonstration fight with an olympic fencing champion using the Bat Cham Do for some sort of TV special.

Any body seen or heard any thing about this - This post is really aimed at David Peterson - but can any one else deny or confirm this??

Nat from UK

vingtsunstudent
01-30-2002, 07:48 AM
yes i know the story.
it is true & if i remember correctly he was an aussie guy.
i could probably give a very rough version of the story but if david is willing to tell it i am sure he would do a much better job than me.
vts

straightblast5
01-30-2002, 06:58 PM
Sifu Wong told me this story a while back, so I’m assuming it's true. I don't remember the exact details of the confrontation except that it was done on TVB (I think) and they had to shoot the match twice because the first go was a bit too sloppy (as real fighting, with or without weapons, always tends to be) for the network execs. Sifu told me that the second go was a bit choreographed but the first take was not and that he (WSL) dominated the match in the first shooting.

The story was told to me in passing and it was quite a while back, so perhaps Sihing David has a more detailed (and more accurate) account of the story.

Phil
Ng Family Chinese Martial Arts Association (http://www.ngfamilymartialarts.com)

David Peterson
01-30-2002, 07:52 PM
Sifu in fact had TWO encounters where he used the 'Baat Jaam Do' against western fencing exponents. The first occured in the early 60s, when he pitted his skills against a Hong Kong fencer following that guys defeat at the hands of GM Yip Man. Apparently, not satisfied with the result of his first encounter, the guy concerned (I'm sure that Sifu said that he was an instructor of the HK Police Dept.) decided to test his skills again and took on Wong Sifu, with equally disastrous results. If memory serves me correctly, the second guy was indeed an Aussie (an ex-Olympian fencer, no less!), and as Phil Ng said in his post, it was conducted on HK TVB. Sifu reported that in the end, the broadcast had to be cut (no pun intended, ...seriously) when the challenger ended up bleeding. According to Sifu's memory of the event, the clashing of his 'BJD' against the opponent's sword had caused serations on his blades, so that when he went through the motions of the cutting of the guys arms, the previously blunt edges actually cut into the flesh. In any case, 2 out of 2 to the 'BJD' of WSL...
DMP

Nat from UK
01-31-2002, 01:55 AM
Firstly please tell me there is surviving footage of this encounter?

Is it possible to get a copy ??

Would my first born be sufficient down payment to see this footage ?

Nat from UK

straightblast5
01-31-2002, 02:42 AM
I asked Sifu if there was any surviving footage of his encounter with the fencer and I remember him telling me there wasn't. That's really too bad, I would love to have seen it. Maybe TVB has the footage stashed away somewhere, and it'll pop up one day. Here's to hoping!:)

Phil
Ng Family Chinese Martial Arts Association (http://www.ngfamilymartialarts.com)

premier
02-03-2002, 08:49 AM
Don't all TV stations file everything they broadcast? Especially if it's produced by themselves, because they might want to rerun it.
So it's very likely TVB has the video in their archives.