PDA

View Full Version : Going to see the Shaolin Monks Tonight!!!

doggitb
01-31-2002, 09:54 AM
Tonight i am going to see the shaolin monk tour in columbus ohio i was just wondering if any of you have seen this show or if you had heard anything about it. I will post back and let you know how it goes.

Do you believe in fate?

shaolinboxer
01-31-2002, 10:49 AM
You will enjoy these costumed wushu performers. They put on quite a show.

Colin
01-31-2002, 11:06 AM
Excellent comment!
I totally agree about the wushu.

doggi,
If you see any Real shaolin monks there let us know.

sean_stonehart
01-31-2002, 11:26 AM
If it's the "Shaolin Warriors" production, I saw it the night before last here in Atlanta. It's entertaining.

There's some Lohan Quan & Liu He Quan in it, but the rest of it is pretty much modern wushu. They did do part of the "8 Pieces of Brocade" Qi gong set. There's also some schleppy crowd pleasers like breaking iron bars over the head & cutting bak choi on the stomach kind of stuff.

Shaolindynasty
01-31-2002, 11:43 AM
So who wants to watch a boring show? The contemp. wushu and qigong spice things up. I went to the 98 tour and had a great time. People jsut complain cause the monks are better then them at contemp. and traditional. So there!:p

Enjoy the show.

African Tiger
01-31-2002, 12:08 PM
I heard a few years ago that these guys are total frauds. That they are half-arsed wushu artists with shaved heads.

When the guy who told me this tried to email their "manager" for more info; ie, what is their lineage, etc, he was met with double talk and resistance.

This may not be the same troupe that has been touring the world of late, and there is a troupe coming to LA in the next few months. Out of curiosity I might go, if only to motivate myself into training harder.

Highlander
01-31-2002, 12:46 PM
Never seen the monks. For some reason they don't come to my area, but over Christmas I did see the Peking Acrobats and I can tell you that was some show. Their strength and agility is amazing. Also, excellent timing. And all with a smile on their faces. They put most of the MAs and other athlete I've seen to shame. And no claims of super chi or other invisible forces, just good old hard work. I won't mention the things they did because you wouldn't believe me, but if you get the chance see the show your self. It is well worth the time. It also makes these other amazing claims seem not so amazing.

wushu chik
01-31-2002, 07:37 PM
Yeah, our Lion Dance team is Opening for them in March when they come to Oregon...(the only people on their tour that gets to open for them is us!!). They are TIGHT!!! Have fun, and tell me what you think!

~Wen~

Sharky
01-31-2002, 07:57 PM
but if they can do all that breaking/puting raxors into their necks and breaking metal thingies over their heads, aren't they able to cultivate chi yadda yadda and do all teh crazy chi kung stunts.... that isn't in mod. wushu is it?

KungFuGuy!
01-31-2002, 08:10 PM
They probably aren't real shaolin monks, but who cares. What they do is amazing, and their accomplishments are something we should all strive to achieve. I would love to see one of these guys go against the top BJJers in the UFCs. When you can take a sledge hammer to your crotch, an arm bar isn't going to hurt you much.

Sharky
01-31-2002, 08:13 PM
"They probably aren't real shaolin monks, but who cares."

Exactly

wushu chik
01-31-2002, 08:21 PM
Do you guys know WHY they do wushu?? I am just interested in all the bullsh!t responses!!! Here we go.........

~Wen~

HopGar
01-31-2002, 08:27 PM
I was at the atlanta show as well. Its mostly wushu with bits of real stuff mixed in. But its hard to tell b/c they do everything REAL quick.

Peace Y'all

Xebsball
01-31-2002, 08:29 PM
Cos it looks totally sweet when they flip out