PDA

View Full Version : Secret Technique?

red5angel
01-31-2002, 11:44 AM
Do you believe in them?
The reason I ask is this, and you will have to excuse the ramblings of a relative 'youngin' to MA.
Alot of people claim to know "secret Techniques" most of these are obvious marketing scams, but the idea is pretty prevalent in MA world. After doing some thinking about it, I have come to the personal conclusion that there are no "secret techniques". Your body can only do so much, granted that is a lot, but it is still finite. If you applied yourself to finding those so called techniques, especially within a system, it shouldnt really take you long to discover them?
Am I way off here?

rubthebuddha
01-31-2002, 11:51 AM
i personally hate the term "secret techniques." nothing is really a secret -- you either know it or you don't. should i consider the bart jaam do (wing tsun's butterfly knife form) secret because sigung leung ting hasn't taught me it yet?

nah. i'll just work my bum off until he does. if a master is willing to share something, regardless of how hard you have to work to get it, it's not really a secret. it'd only be a secret if the master didn't share it with anyone and died without ever doing so.

Water Dragon
01-31-2002, 11:56 AM
Here's a quote from one of my teachers. Take it how you want.

There are no secrets in Martial Arts. But sometimes you're just not ready for some things

rubthebuddha
01-31-2002, 11:58 AM
kaching!

Dark Knight
01-31-2002, 12:03 PM
SSSHHHHHH

I hit really hard.

Its a secret

red5angel
01-31-2002, 12:12 PM
LOL Darkknight!

Thanks for the input guys, just wanted to know if I was on the right track here or not.
It comes from learning Wing chun I guess. They say Sil Lim Tau is the most important part of wing chun practice, they say it holds all the keys you need. If you pay attention long enough to it, it will show you the way.

Water Dragon
01-31-2002, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by red5angel
LOL Darkknight!

Thanks for the input guys, just wanted to know if I was on the right track here or not.
It comes from learning Wing chun I guess. They say Sil Lim Tau is the most important part of wing chun practice, they say it holds all the keys you need. If you pay attention long enough to it, it will show you the way.

That's probably very true. Remember this, Sil Lum Tao may mean something EXTREMELY different to you in 10 years than it does today. But you need to go through the whole system, train hard, and come back to it periodically to get to that point ;)

rubthebuddha
01-31-2002, 12:15 PM
yupper. sure, you know the techniques. the question is, do you understand them completely? as in, how they work in all those myriad ways?

i don't even come close.

Felipe Bido
01-31-2002, 12:16 PM
Exactly what Water Dragon said.

There are techniques that would be useless or dangerous for a beginner to practice. So, the teacher holds them back until the student has the necessary experience to apply them fully.

Water Dragon
01-31-2002, 12:16 PM
Almost forgot. There actually is one secret to Martial Arts:

Do what your teacher tells you to. He really does know better than you do.

Until you acknowledge that, you wont learn anything.

Marshdrifter
01-31-2002, 12:25 PM
Water Dragon has a good one regarding the teacher knowing
more than you, but if you want to know the real secret technique,
the one that the better students all use and the worse students
keep searching for, but never find, it is this:

Practice.

It's the one and only secret technique. It shouldn't be a secret,
and those who know it tell just about everybody, but those who
don't know it ignore it just as if it were a secret kept from them.
Often they're looking for the secret technique so intently, that
they can't see what the others are doing that makes them so
good.

Yes, there are other things that you may not be ready to learn,
but that just means you're not there yet. It's not a secret.

red5angel
01-31-2002, 12:44 PM
Practice practice practice, and when you cant do it no more, do it anyway!
SLT teaches you the way, but you must practice to understand it, and to do it.

shaolinboxer
01-31-2002, 12:46 PM
As I always say, the only secret is that you have to figure out all of the secrets for yourself.

MonkeySlap Too
01-31-2002, 02:44 PM
One of my training partners (while we were seeing who would puke first as we drilled footwork) told me this line from one of his teachers:

Train this until you lose your mind

fa_jing
01-31-2002, 07:17 PM
It's funny, but my WC teachers have told me that certain techniques are secret, that I shouldn't casually reveal them. Just a few techniques so far. I'm not sure why, I think it's just tradition. You don't want the knowledge to end up in the hands of your enemy, for one. For instance, if non-WC people are in the room, we don't do the same kicking drill. Also, someone brought this up before, and I mentioned that I was speaking to the Praying Mantis master, who owns our Kwoon, who's been in Kung Fu movies and trained in the top HK and taiwan praying mantis school, and he had the following to say: You always keep two techniques for yourself, this is so the student does not kill the master and take over the school. Only a family member gets the whole system. I find it hard to believe he's still thinking that way, after all this is western society and he is a police psycholgist. He also said, "Oh, I don't let anyone see my kicks." (The Praying Mantis Guy). Also I have read that Yip Man held back a lot from his students students because he didn't want them opening up competing schools. Now THAT makes some sense. Anyway I said the subject is wierd because you really hear a lot about secret techniques, footwork, kicks, etc. in the kung fu world, and it just doesn't make much sense to us as westerners, especially when they already reveal alot with no problem. I mean, there was an article in Inside Kung Fu magazine not too long ago about the "10 killing hands" of Hung Gar. You'd figure if they are revealing that, the system is an open book, right? Yet I'm sure you'll find someone saying, oh no, there's lots more techniques in Hung Gar that are secret, no way you can see them. So it seems rather contradictory.

-FJ

red_fists
01-31-2002, 07:24 PM
Personally, I don't buy into this "secret technique" thingy myself.

1.) If those techniques would be secret nobody would know that they are there, unless somebody squealed in which they are no longer secret.

2.) Too many peope know exactly what those secret techniques are and can recognise them if they are shown.

I think they are simply techniques I have not been taught yet, or not been judged worthy to study yet.

Either way same thing.

joedoe
01-31-2002, 07:50 PM
I see secret techniques as hiding in plain view. They are there for you to discover, but only when you are ready for it. You can spend years practicing a form and never realise the 'secret' techniques you have been practicing. Then one day you suddenly see the technique.

It is all about practice (as others have said) and your own development. Sometimes it is just a matter of finding the key to unlocking the secret. That is where your sifu should come in.

Sharky
01-31-2002, 07:53 PM
people say there is no such thing as secret techniques. but if you aren't being taught something by a teacher, not because you can't handle it, but for any other reason, then isn't he hiding it? if you're hiding something, doesn't that make it a secret?

that aside, you'd be amazed by how little people (including me/us) actually examine the application of things - further than what they are show.how they are shown to use it.

red_fists
01-31-2002, 07:59 PM
Hey Snarky.

Just because somebody hid your marbles doesn't make them a secret.

There is a difference there.

:p

Sharky
01-31-2002, 08:06 PM
are you trying to say i've lost my marbles?

red_fists
01-31-2002, 08:10 PM
Let me not make the next comment that lies at my fingertips. :D

I simply pointed out that there is a difference between "hidden" & "secret".

They don't normally have the same meaning, but can do.

But there are hidden techniques in MA, or non-recognised techniques.

Where as "secret" techniques are somewhat different.

Seeya snarky.

Sharky
01-31-2002, 08:11 PM
do you have my marbles?

red_fists
01-31-2002, 08:14 PM
Ooyi, matey.
No dirty talk here.

Why would I want your marbles.

Don't know where they have been or how they have been used.

Jeez, the youth of today.:D

Sharky
01-31-2002, 08:16 PM
:rolleyes:

nah it doesn't make THEM a secret, but someone knows where they are, and is keeping it a secret ;)

straight blast
02-01-2002, 01:22 AM
Mention "secret" techniques and you'll be surrounded by the (paying) gullible more quickly than you can say "Hadoken"!!! This stuff gets to me after a while. I know a guy who does TKD who was talking about the "secret" grappling techniques in TKD. I know his teacher and his teacher has been taking "secret" lessons in Jiu Jitsu.

Maybe that's the true meaning of "secret" techniques.

$$Dollars$$

Perhaps we should ask Rich Mooney about this one.

Ryu
02-01-2002, 01:24 AM
:(
Stop making fun of my move.

Ryu

straight blast
02-01-2002, 01:44 AM
Far be it from me to mock the mighty Hadoken!!!

No matter how much I try I just can't shoot fireballs....sigh :(

There has to be a knack to it...

Marshdrifter
02-01-2002, 09:18 AM
Originally posted by straight blast
Far be it from me to mock the mighty Hadoken!!!

No matter how much I try I just can't shoot fireballs....sigh :(

There has to be a knack to it...

Like I say, practice.

That, and it's fun to start muttering something like:

"forward, forward, back, back, down, mumble, mumble..."

In the middle of class. Some of my fellow students catch on,
some don't.

Merryprankster
02-01-2002, 09:35 AM
Secret techniques?

Crap.

You pay an instructor to instruct. If they are "holding back," vice not teaching you something you aren't ready for, then it's time to find a new instructor, because they aren't living up to their end of the bargain.

Royal Dragon
02-01-2002, 10:21 AM
In some systems, it's not a matter of the set being secret, but sacred. In the Noerthern Louhan style, you have the Shou and Da Louhan sets, both are publically taught and contain the core of Louhan practice.

Then you have the 108 move form which from what "I" understand is only taught to the monks of Shaolin. The only person I have ever spoken with that has it is ordained into the Chan tradition.

From what I hear, it's nothing realy special, mostly the other two sets combined with a few new addtions, and they teach way more advanced stuff publically now, but the 108 move Louhan form is the advanced set of Shaolin's original system, and they just want to keep it to thier selfes, it like a collectors peice or something.

RD

Skarbromantis
02-01-2002, 11:31 AM
We do some of our forms with out the kick's in them, but they
are still there , when in a fight the kicks come out ..........thats my Secret technique. :D

Kick them in the babies!!

Skard1