PDA

View Full Version : is running away in a streetfight more dangerous???

LEGEND
01-31-2002, 12:39 PM
Without the involvement of GUNs or Knifes...I have seen a guys run away from street fights only to be pursued by the multiple opponents and tackle and beaten down. It seems to me running away only makes u're opponent think...ohhhhhhh he's an easy prey...the only multiple fights where success by the one or few is when they hold there ground swing away and acting like they want someone to step. I just don't see how running away will not cause the opponent to chase after u...

red5angel
01-31-2002, 12:41 PM
I saw a guy fighting multiple opponents. He would run away, they would run after, but at mostly different speeds, and he used this to pop the closest guy and then run some more before the others could catch up. Eventually they stopped chasing him, it was pretty funny to watch.

shaolinboxer
01-31-2002, 12:48 PM
It's not just running away but where you run to that is important.

Highlander
01-31-2002, 12:59 PM
It really depends on the situation.

1) It is like securing your home against burglery. If a person wants to get in bad enough they will. All you can do is make it difficult enough so that they don't want to. If a person is only a little angry with you, they may not be willing to put that much energy into pursuing you.

2) The person that is attacking you has selected the environment for the attack and it no doubt favors them. If you run and are pursued you have the chance to select a more advantagous spot.

3) If the place you are attacked is a place that you frequent often, (home, work, school, etc.) then running will only delay the inevitable. They will just get you tomorrow.

But your basic question was "is running more dangerous". To that I would have to say no. I assume you are considering running because you know you will get your butt kicked. Therefore, is running and getting your butt kicked more dangerous than standing there and getting your butt kicked, no it's about the same. :D

rogue
01-31-2002, 01:01 PM
As one very, very battle experienced instructor taught me, Think tactical withdrawl rather than running away. Withdrawing includes knowing how to disengage, protect your six, stringing out the enemy and evading them. It's almost an art unto itself.

guohuen
01-31-2002, 01:02 PM
"he who fights and runs away, lives to fight another day." U.S. Army Rangers

Tigerstyle
01-31-2002, 01:02 PM
I agree with shaolinboxer. Also when and how you choose to get away seems pretty important.

I think there's more to running from multiple opponents than just running away. Training to run away couldn't hurt. :)

Tigerstyle
01-31-2002, 01:04 PM
Rogue and Highlander beat me to it (and said it better, too :) ).

"Therefore, is running and getting your butt kicked more dangerous than standing there and getting your butt kicked, no it's about the same."

LOL!

LEGEND
01-31-2002, 01:18 PM
Hmmmmmmmm good answers...I think I would have to skip away...ala BRUCE in fist of fury lol.

rubthebuddha
01-31-2002, 02:06 PM
legend,

you do that, and murphy's gonna strike you down with lightning just for being arrogant. ;)

Braden
01-31-2002, 03:48 PM
Yes. Unless you think you can stop your momentum, do a 180o change of direction, then accelerate all faster than your assailant can extend his arm.

Highlander
01-31-2002, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by Braden
Yes. Unless you think you can stop your momentum, do a 180o change of direction, then accelerate all faster than your assailant can extend his arm.

Good point.......... If you restrict yourself to conventional running that is. If you run backwards however you will not only save time by not having to change direction, but you can also keep an eye on your opponent. :eek:

Braden
01-31-2002, 04:06 PM
Again, a great tactic if you think you can move backwards faster than your opponent can move forwards, and/or you dwarf your opponent(s) in martial skill to the extent that you can fend them off while moving backwards.

Tigerstyle
01-31-2002, 04:22 PM
"...a great tactic if you think you can move backwards faster than your opponent can move forwards..."

I can. I am Reverse Flash.

Well... actually I'm not :( . I'm really Reverse-Superman. I can't fly, I'm not strong, and I'm weakened by Earth's yellow sun.

Highlander
01-31-2002, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by Braden
Again, a great tactic if you think you can move backwards faster than your opponent can move forwards, and/or you dwarf your opponent(s) in martial skill to the extent that you can fend them off while moving backwards.

Another excellent point ......... however if you dwarf your opponents in martial skill you would not need to be running.

No ..... the obvious advantage of backward running is it provides you with an excellent position to fling small to medium potatoes at your attacker, thus slowing them down. In the event you do not have a bag of potatoes with you, small fruits and vegetables can be substituted.

Hint: Braden ..... if you want people to take you seriuous you might consider removing the "don't take me serious" under your name.

Braden
01-31-2002, 05:00 PM
"...however if you dwarf your opponents in martial skill you would not need to be running."

That was part of what I was implying.

"Hint: Braden ..... "

Thanks for the hint, but I don't want people to take me too seriously, which is why I put it there in the first place.

fa_jing
01-31-2002, 07:25 PM
I heard at a seminar once that you should run, stop and hit, run some more, stop and hit, etc. I guess so you don't get tackled from behind.
Of course, I'm a pretty fast runner. I figure I could get away from just about anyone if I have space to run, especially if I'm running for my life.
-FJ

Budokan
01-31-2002, 08:22 PM
Running often works better if you're faster, or smarter, than the people chasing you.

respectmankind
01-31-2002, 08:29 PM
well, i would say in most instances, it is more appropriate to run away. if presued, then it is clear that fighting is teh next step.

Sharky
01-31-2002, 08:35 PM
can't speculate on that kinda stuff guys. it's like one of those what would you do if someone tried to punch you with a hook. it all depends on the situation doesn't it?

yeah, what a miserable git, i can't just STFU and answer the question can i. no. i gotta be a smartass.

jimmy23
01-31-2002, 10:05 PM
good advice, but only if you're alone.Otherwise, youd better learn how to approach a multiple opponent situation when you can't run-maybe you have no avenue of escape, or you have a wife or child to protect.

Prepare for the worst.

rogue
02-01-2002, 06:44 AM
Did a search and found that Marc "Animal" MacYoung has a book on this subject (does this guy miss any aspect of street-fighting?). I just ordered it last night and I'll let you know how it is after I get it.

scotty1
02-01-2002, 07:44 AM
LMFAO!!!!@Highlander

Today, BTW, is the last day of my regular job. I am from Monday, although I have a period of grace in which to find another job, in employment limbo. So I will post when and where I can find free net access. Thanks and goodbye.