PDA

View Full Version : Taipei And Hung Gar

sifuchuck
12-21-2000, 12:15 AM
Does anyone know if any of the past masters of Hung Gar participated in the Taipei Rebellion? I often hear the name Hung Hsiu Chuan, Hung Hei Goon, Hung Tse Chuan... and many more when referring to the founder of Hung Gar. I know that the leader of the Taipei Rebellion changed his name from Hung Huo Hsiu to Hung Hsiu Chuan and I wonder if he did so because of the influence it might have on the various secret societies that grew out of the shaolin/ming loyalists.

sifuchuck
12-21-2000, 12:17 AM
Wierd, being the first to reply to my own post--I meant "Taiping" Rebellion, not Taipei.

South Paw
12-21-2000, 05:07 PM
Hung Hsiu-chuan, the leader of the Taiping rebellion, was born in Kuanlupu Village, 50 kilometres north of Guangzhou in Huaxian County, in the province of Guangdong on January 1st, 1814.

Hung Hei Goon (Hong Xiguan), founding father of Hung Gar, was - according to legend - also born in Huaxian (County). But he "lived to the age of 93, into the early years of the reign of Emperor Doa Guang, who acceded to the throne in 1821." So he was born around 1730/35

A nice read is:
The Taiping Revolution, History of Modern China Series, Foreign Language Press, Peking 1976.

South Paw

bean curd
12-22-2000, 09:33 AM

[This message was edited by bean curd on 12-23-00 at 01:39 AM.]

bean curd
12-22-2000, 09:35 AM
as south paw has stated, this person was involved in the taiping rebellion.

totally different man than hung hsi gwan.

hung hsiu chuan was from hakka heritage from guangdong province. he was born in 1814 and died in 1864.
he started the uprising in 1850, and in 1853 captured nanjing. he commited suicide in 1864.

sifuchuck
12-23-2000, 09:14 AM
ok--I seem to have stumbled into an area of "common error" in this forum--that is I didn't really make myself very clear. I am quite well versed in the historic data surrounding the Taiping Rebellion and I am familiar with many of the oral histories concerning the founder of Hung Gar. My question is:
"Does anyone know about Hung Gar Masters or let's just say Hung Gar practitioners in any of the many lineages having taken part in the Taiping Rebellion?" The time period would be approximately 1844-1868.