PDA

View Full Version : Martial arts helps with dancing

Sharky
01-31-2002, 08:01 PM
Does anyone find this? Rhythm? Movement? Come on it must!

I bet ABandit has two left feet though, shaolin or no shaolin.

qeySuS
01-31-2002, 08:05 PM
hehe yeah i feel it helps, makes you not so afraid to move your hips ;)

I do have a bad case of whiteman disease though. I remember one of our teachers that was visiting the country for a year was teaching half of the TKD guys Salsa dancing on the side :) (he was from somewhere in S-America). He said they were very good students.

diego
01-31-2002, 11:16 PM
true story, my boy told me

KungFuGuy!
01-31-2002, 11:20 PM
I'm told I dance like "Elayne Benice". Is that good?

CanadianBadAss
01-31-2002, 11:24 PM
Wing Chun gave me some crazy robot(?) dancing skills. As for real dancing, I think Ive gotten worse, if thats possible...

diego
01-31-2002, 11:28 PM
but bieng a DUDE someone even my mum says i look like any eliane, THEY LOSIN TEAF Word, is Bond:cool:

rubthebuddha
02-01-2002, 12:58 AM
yeah, but the problem is, when i'm scootin' across the floor, i'm adducting. at my sisok and sije's wedding last year, the two girls i danced with noticed it. one was a simui and gf of my sihing, and she told me to stop adducting across the floor. the other was the wife of my di-sihing, and she said i danced flat-footed like her husband.

sheesh. so i broke out the muay thai footwork and old tkd steppin, and that loosened things up a little.

but only a little. i was off that floor faster than ralek during a challenge match. ;)

Crimson Phoenix
02-01-2002, 03:26 AM
EELLLAAIIINNEEE?? Elaine from SEINFELD?? Hahahahahhha...uuhhh...dunno if it's that good...hahahahha

Tvebak
02-01-2002, 03:39 AM
Actually many KF teachers have told me that electric boogie and kungfu is very related in the way that the intention moves through the body.
I think capoeira have added things to what i do on the dancefloor, and taichi as well...but not xingyi.

NafAnal
02-01-2002, 05:08 AM
Systema helps with your flow.... and avoiding drunken twats falling off the stage

Sharky
02-01-2002, 05:21 AM
There are so many similarities in breakdancing and kung fu... they are pretty obvious and stretch further than the wu tang clan!

I meant dancing in general though :cool:

Kristoffer
02-01-2002, 06:38 AM
Can't dance. Don't wanna dance. Won't dance :D
dancing r for p.ussy's :p

shaolinboxer
02-01-2002, 06:51 AM
I'm trying to learn to lead right now...I love to dance but I've always danced solo.

MA helps me be able to read my partners movments and guide her around. Still...it's hard.

Sharky
02-01-2002, 08:05 AM
dancing gets you the pu55y, fool.

i don't dance to bad music though. i'll only unleash the beat to the right sonics.

Kristoffer
02-01-2002, 08:16 AM
dancing with a partner is easy!! It's that solo crap I sux at

Kristoffer
02-01-2002, 08:17 AM
salsa n merenge is cool

Xebsball
02-01-2002, 08:41 AM
I never dance when im sober.
So if i feel like dancing i start drinking, then when im drunk i dance. I mean its the only way, especially with the disgusting music.

Xebsball
02-01-2002, 08:47 AM
I forgot to answer the original question.

It depends on wich martial art. Some martial arts (you know what im talking about) wont help you with dancing but will teach you to go to parties and start fights with untrained people, humiliate and beat them up. And also will teach you to get together with the people you train with to beat up ****sexuals.

Sharky
02-01-2002, 09:54 AM
what else do we train for xebs?

JasBourne
02-01-2002, 10:30 AM
urgh.

fa_jing
02-01-2002, 03:59 PM
My wife is a #1 latin/carribean dance expert. When I first met her, my hips were so frickin stiff that I felt and looked like an idiot on the dance floor. She put up with it though and kept teaching me. I think the MA training is what finally loosened my hips up. Now that she is stateside, we never go out to dance and I have almost completely lost my skills. Whereas in Colombia you don't need an excuse to dance, even her 75-year-old grandmother busts a few moves when a song comes on the radio. Anyway, I think dancing helps your martial arts more than MA helps your dancing. Cause now that I'm doing more MA than dancing, I hop up and down like a chicken. I always hated white-boy dancing, the cool stuff is "ethnic". But dancing gives you smooth footwork, IMO.
-FJ

Sharky
02-01-2002, 09:42 PM
watch a breakdancer toprock. just use that. tone it down. there you go. you're dancing.