PDA

View Full Version : Wado Ryu Karate

Jeff Liboiron
01-31-2002, 09:24 PM
I was just wondering if any of you guys know much about this style...

Nichiren
02-01-2002, 12:18 AM
Look at this URL: http://www.omize.demon.co.uk/A%20Brief%20History.html

:)

scotty1
02-01-2002, 02:35 AM
I used to do it when I was about 13. I got to blue belt.

Kaitain(UK)
02-01-2002, 03:03 AM
I study Wado-Ryu - email me if you want more info than I'm about to give :)

It's an Okinawan style with strong Chinese influences - two of the Katas are extremely CMA in look and feel. Some of the main principles are in blending and good footwork to beat an opponent.

I guess a lot comes down to who you train with - I only do it to assist in my taiji training, you get a lot more people who are happy to try and deck you in Karate :)

www.e-budo.com is probably the best place to ask.

black and blue
02-01-2002, 04:29 AM
I was always of the understanding that Wado-Ryu was a Japanese variant of Karate!

One that was influenced by jujutsu! Hence the smaller stances and larger use of locks and wrist twisting. Confused

Have I been lied to? Am I thick? Eh?

Kaitain(UK)
02-01-2002, 05:02 AM
"The essence of this art lays emphasis upon the nature and the grace of movement. It was originally inspired by Yo****oki Akiyama Sensei after observing how the willow tree laden with snow yielded to the elements of nature, yet maintained its versatility and flexibility to outside forces without damage. This study of movement impressed upon the young Ohtsuka the importance of natural flowing movements. These lessons play a major part in today's "Wado" karate. In defence and attacking techniques the use of the opponent's body and weight and movement play an equally significant role in defeating your enemy as your own body movements"

"Wado-ryu, 'way of harmony', founded in 1939 is a system of karate developed from jujitsu and karate by Hienori Otsuka as taught by one of his instructors, Gichin Funakoshi. This style of karate combines basic movements of jujitsu with techniques of evasion, putting a strong emphasis on softness and the way of harmony or spiritual discipline."

Hope that helps

Jeff Liboiron
02-01-2002, 11:02 AM
Thanks for the replies guys, yeah i was in it when i was 12 and quit when i was 15, i got to blue belt or something.

I was considering taking it up again, but i can't remmeber anything about it :)