PDA

View Full Version : Predatory grapplers?

brainpan
01-31-2002, 11:49 PM
I did not take the time to read all the posts of the Predator Vs Prey thread. Ginsuedog told me some of it and I disagreed with him. Of course he is of the "grappling rules, kung fu sucks" simple minded, one-dimensional mentality. That's ok, most grapplers are! heh heh...just kidding Ed!

Anyway, I wanted to weigh in on this argument about predators =grapplers and prey = strikers... it's just a specious argument.

Most preadtors ARE strikers. Yes, even the lioness who strangles an antelope is using a strike. A strike is anything that can cause a puncture wound. Lets see how far a lioness gets with no teeth. She uses her teeth to strike her prey. Now I admit that there is grappling involved when some predators kill by suffocation. Now lets assume that predators just used pure grappling.

Does that make grappling superior to striking? I know Knifefighter would say both is important. The lioness sure uses both. As does other animals.

So if we are to compare predators to grapplers and prey to strikers lets continue with this analogy (fallace though it may be)

The prey, like the antelope, uses speed to run from a lion. Other animals rely on strikes from its horns and also from the protection from numbers. For them, it is strike and run. Very effecient.

The predator, like a pride of lionesses (male lions do not hunt) also roam in groups, in contradiction to the one-on-one fight of a pure grappler. They use coordinated attacks, and attack the young, old and weak. They single out one prey and they all attack it. How well would these grapplers do against a group? I'm sure the brighter among you will see the parallels of multiple human opponents.

Now lets look at the efficiency of striking vs grappling. By saying that predators are grapplers, you are implying that grappling is somehow superior to striking, but consider this, 9 times out of 10, the lioness even with her pride, does not get the kill. And when they do, it is usually the old, young or sick.

For self defense, the striker has the advantage of mobility, being able to strike and run. If we would continue to apply the predator and prey analogy to humans, grapplers would be human predators....in other words criminals. Ginsuedog, I know you are not a common thug. Although you are a braggart, like other grapplers, you are not a criminal...and you are FAR from being a predator. I actually would call you more prey than anything else. Sure you may fight when cornered, but c'mon, you really think a REAL predator who wants to mug you or rape your girl is gonna try to grapple you? No, he will use is human skills...ie a weapon.

My point in all this? Grappling is not superior to striking or vice versa. It is a balance of the two. As in nature, there is a balance of predator and prey, neither gaining an advantage over the other. If grapplers (in the form of predators) were so superior, they would kill to their own starvation.

And for all you Kung Fu guys out there...from what Ginsuedog says about you....lighten up ok? Grapplers aren't all bad...some of them are cool...well maybe not Ginsuedog...he's actually a computer nerd who thinks he's all that, heh heh. Just kidding, dude.

respectmankind
01-31-2002, 11:55 PM
Just testing out the new edition to my signature.

brainpan
02-01-2002, 12:02 AM

fightfan
02-01-2002, 12:04 AM
zzz....

brainpan
02-01-2002, 12:29 AM
"All animals grapple -
well all predators. Tigers, Lions, Wolves all will grab hold of prey and bring it down to the ground to finish it off. Prey will lash out with it's hooves; but
predators will grab on. Rule of thumb - Prey strikes - Predators grapple. There- that should end the wrestler vs striker debate once and for all."

Ok...I went back and read the rest of that thread....

Nevermind, everyone else summed up what I wanted to say.

Ginsuedog...stop quoting the dumbest parts of the thread....who cares about Jockwurst and his Masters in Hydrology :rolleyes: at least the others made sense...you should listen to some of them.

Ford Prefect
02-01-2002, 06:46 AM
The people in white jackets are your friends.

guohuen
02-01-2002, 09:02 AM
Okay, swallow the little blue pill. If you do it quickly it won't taste bad and you'll feel much better. Here. Let me tie your johnny for you.:D

Brad Souders
02-01-2002, 09:03 AM
OK so striking is the most important for animals now what about people. My vote goes to cross trained.

rubthebuddha
02-01-2002, 09:31 AM
agreed on the cross trained thing.

now do you guys know how friggin hard it is to get a zebra to tap out?

Ford Prefect
02-01-2002, 10:55 AM
They have too much pride to tap.

Leonidas
02-01-2002, 01:06 PM
I dont think you can grapple if you dont have opposable thumbs. I wouldn't call lockjawing grappling which is what animals do. Thats the only way they can kill their food. Theres no choice between striking or grappling for animals.

Tigerstyle
02-01-2002, 01:23 PM
I don't think you necessarily (sp?) need thumbs to grapple. Lots of wrestling holds/takedowns can use a "no-thumb" type of grip where the four fingers are used as a hook. Many submissions/chokes/etc. don't require the use of your thumbs to be effective. Not that lions are shooting for a double-leg or anything ;) .

I think animals do both. I guess it's all in how we personally define the difference.

rubthebuddha
02-01-2002, 01:40 PM
yeah, but for IJJ (italian jujutsu), you really need that digit so you can thumb your nose at your oppenent.