PDA

View Full Version : pullup bars

rubthebuddha
02-01-2002, 12:57 PM
can anyone recommend a home-use pull-up bar? i don't want to drill holes in my walls (i rent) and i don't want to buy one of those mammoth structures that also has a roman chair and handles for dips.

ideally, something that can handle my whopping 165-lb. frame with no problem and still give me plenty of practicality for both pullups and chinups.

any suggestions would be grand.

Ka
02-01-2002, 01:41 PM
Well you have ruled out the best 2 possiblities but not to worry
If you have a place to loop rope or sling you can try to obtain some rings(like in the gymnastic event) and suspend them.If you are into finger chins their is always your door jams.
Anyway good luck:)

rubthebuddha
02-01-2002, 01:48 PM
sodight. if i have to drill, i'll drill, but i want minimal damage done to the house.

as far as those gigugic roman chair/pullup bars/dip things, i don't feel like spending that kind of scratch when it's my lats that need more work, not my tummy or chest.

premier
02-02-2002, 10:31 AM
I have a pull up bar that you can install in a door frame. There's rubber padding in both ends and you tighten it in the door frame by twisting these too pieces in opposite directions. It's actually really simple piece of equipment and doesn't leave any marks to the door frame. Too bad I don't have an idea where you could find one of these =)

premier

Singularity
02-02-2002, 03:33 PM
rubthebuddha, you live in Washington, right? There should be a decent sports store near you. I have one that cost a decent amount, $35, but allows for about 8 different hand positions. If there are any "Sports Authority" stores or the like near you, just go and ask, tell them specifically what you told us, you don't want something that marks up your walls or that you have to drill for. Good luck man, they really help your workout.

Dave:cool:

IronFist
02-02-2002, 04:10 PM
premier, several people at sports stores have told me the following about those twistable bars:

1. They don't make them anymore, because
2. They warp doorframes after consistent use.

Just what I've heard, becuase I was looking for one a while ago.

Hey rubthebuddha, this is a dumb idea, but you might want to see if there are any suitable tree branches in your back yard in the mean time until you can get a real bar.

Good luck,

Iron

premier
02-02-2002, 05:36 PM
Yeah I know. That's why I don't use it inside the house. It's in the store room as we speak and in the summer I might put it between two trees.

premier

rubthebuddha
02-04-2002, 03:33 PM
ironfist: the closest thing to a decent tree branch we had in the back yard was a bunch of blackberry bushes the owners ripped out to put in fencing.

you explain the logic on that one to me.

anyhoo, i live in a townhouse complex, so we don't have too many neat trees close by. plus, i would like it inside, so i can use it when doing the rest of my workouts.

thanks for all the suggestions, guys. it still seems that the best answers is one of those mammoth structures, but the only place i'd have room would be my bedroom, and i don't want to spend that kinda scratch or lose that kind of space simply to add pullups to my workout.

oh well. back to square one. :(