PDA

View Full Version : Old School Kung Fu Movies

Golden Arms
02-01-2002, 03:24 PM
What are your favorite old school kung fu movies? Give me some names here!!! I am talking about anything that contains something other than "movie fu" even if it is not totally authentic. If you know what styles are represented please share..if not..thats good too :D Here are 2 of mine:

My Young Auntie: This movie has some of the best southern kung fu inspired fight scenes ever during the last 1/3rd of it. The rest of it is not too action packed however, but pretty funny.

Magnificent Butcher: Sammo Hung film, I love this one..the fight at the end is great..and the part with Wong Fei Hung and the rival master doing calligraphy is classic!

-Golden Arms-

red5angel
02-01-2002, 03:28 PM
Not sure if any styles are actually represented in it but it was an awesome movie!!!!!

JasBourne
02-01-2002, 03:57 PM
"Dance of Death" with Angela Mao. Very funny.
"Prodigal Son" - Sammo and Yuen Biao. Still the best wing chun ever.

red5angel
02-01-2002, 03:59 PM
Prodigal Son, Awesome Wing Chun movie!!!!!

Tigerstyle
02-01-2002, 04:18 PM
- 4 Assassins: They were learning leaping kung, Iron Palm, Golden Bell, and lifting heavy objects with more chi/less muscle (what would that one be called?)

- 5 Deadly Venoms: Each one had their own reptile/instect fighting style. Great stuff!

- Fist of the white Lotus: "Weightless Boxing" rules!

- Drunken Master 1 and 2: Obvious (I hope :) ). Thunderfoot is the man!

- Mystery of Chess Boxing (not the Wu-Tang Clan album ;) ): I thought the Ghost-Faced Killer was a really cool villain.

- Instructors of Death (not sure what other name it might have): I think this was the one with Wong Fei Hung fighting some guy in an alley that continuously gets more narrow as they move further into it. That scene was incredible!

Lots more to list, but I'm at work now :) .

Skarbromantis
02-01-2002, 04:24 PM
Chinese super ninjas

5 fighters from Shaolin

Dirty ho

Shaolin angel/Shaolin devil

Anything Shaw Bro's

Golden Arms
02-01-2002, 04:24 PM
More More More!!!! Keep em coming...Instructors of death does have one of the best Hung Gar fighting scenes of all time on it !!!!!!

-Golden Arms-

NorthernMantis
02-01-2002, 05:41 PM
Hey Tigerstyle you forgot the street fighter series with sonny chiba :D

Ok how about the masked avengers (with the venoms),magnificent ruffians a.k.a the destroyers (with the venoms), the young master,and fearless hyena

Order
02-01-2002, 05:43 PM
There are too many to list, but than there is also alot of bad ones. Basically anything with Gordon Liu and the Venoms is good. I recommend Killer Army, and Invincible Shaolin for the Venoms. There are also Jackie films like Fearless Hyena. I also enjoy movies with the master teaching his pupil through fighting with chop sticks, and chasing the whine cup. It really depends on what you're looking for. Story, fight scenes, or atmosphere.

Ky-Fi
02-01-2002, 07:58 PM
Fist of the White Lotus and (Shaolin) Master Killer are two of my favorites. Mixed in with the movie-fu I"m sure there's some serious Hung Gar in there, as the director of both of these Shaw Brothers movies was Lau Kar Leung---his father was a disciple of Lam Sai Wing, who was a disciple of Wong Fei Hung.

I also love Invincible Shaolin and Killer Army (both starring the crew from 5 Deadly Venoms). I don't know about his real martial background, but as far as pure physical skill, acrobatics and weapons ability, Chiang Sheng(the youngest student from 5 Deadly Venoms, guy with the double axes in Kid With Golden Arm) is just unbelievable. He uses a sweeper (staff w/nunchaku on the end) in Invincible Shaolin, and broadsword and shield in Killer Army---totaly fluid, amazing skill.

Oh yeah, one other--Odd Couple. A little too much comedy for me, but it's Sammo Hung in his prime, with Lau Kar Wing---if you like spear and broadsword, this is some of the best weapon work ever put on film, IMO.

dubj
02-01-2002, 08:13 PM
I can think of a lot but "shaolin temple strikes back" is a good one. The drunken monk is a bad ass. Mark Long(ghost faced killer) is usually in good movies and is one of my favorite kung fu movie actors. One movie that I saw once called "warriors of the sung dynasty" had an awesome tournament scene. Mystery of the chess boxer is good. Is the five element fist they do supposed to be hsing i. I just love how they show off before each fight. If you like that one you need to see the seven grandmasters which is a prequel to it I believe. I wish they had a channel that showed a lot of old kung fu movies.

GOLDEN ARMOR
02-02-2002, 12:04 AM
Yeh Seven Grand Masters was cool, probably 1 of the first old school flicks i seen. I really used to get into it as a kid. I heard it was meant to be based on a lost style of Bak Mei. Didnt look like it though.
Anyway u guys in the US r lucky to have such a wide selection of old school flicks. Do any of the Sydney Aus. guys & gals know any places to get some kf flicks?
I seen a preview of a kf flick that looked alright called Shaolin Martial Arts or Martial Arts of Shaolin. Looked like some cool Hung Ga long arms.(I think it was hung ga) Has anyone seen this? & what did u think of it? If its good does any1 know where in Sydney or any other place i can get it?

Jimbo
02-02-2002, 10:53 AM
I like a lot of old-school kung fu movies, but to me, the absolute best one is the old Shaw Brothers film "Shaolin Martial Arts" starring Fu Sheng and Chi Kuan-Chun. A LOT of training scenes and the kung fu is fairly believeable. One of the earliest Shaolin films to show the tiger/crane, Golden Bell/Iron Shirt, etc.

Other favorites:

The Victim starring Sammo Hung.

The Kid From Kwangtung, starring Hwang Jang-Lee and Huang Yu.

The Prodigal Son, starring Yuen Biao.

Martial Club (Instructor of Death) starring Gordon Liu.

Super Power, starring Billy Chong.

Fist of the White Lotus, Gordon Liu.

The Invincible Armour, starring John Liu, Hwang Jang-Lee.

The Hot, the Cool, and the Vicious, starring Wang Tao and Tan Tao-Liang.

Last Hurrah for Chivalry starring Wei Pei. One of the best swordplay movies ever.

The Magnificent Butcher, starring Sammo Hung.

Warriors Two, starring Sammo Hung.

Five Shaolin Masters, Fu Sheng, Ti Lung, David Chiang.

Death-Dual of Kung Fu, starring Wang Tao, John Liu, Eagle Han.

3 Evil Masters, starring Yuan Te, Wang Lung-Wei.

Shaolin Rescuers, starring the Venoms.

Knockabout, starring Yuen Biao, Sammo Hung.

Dreadnaught, starring Yuen Biao.

Disciples of Shaolin, starring Fu Sheng, Chi Kuan-Chun.

Men From the Monastery, starring Chen Kuan-Tai, Fu Sheng.

Two Champions of Death, the Venoms.

Struggle Through Death, John Liu.

Hell'z Windstaff, Hwang Jang-Lee, Meng Hai, Meng Yuan-Wen.

The Woman Avenger (a.k.a., Killer B's) starring Hsia Kuang-Li.

Shaolin Vs. Lama, starring Alexander Lo Rei, Chang Shan.

The Young Master, starring Jackie Chan, Hwang In-Sik.

The Streetfighter (the original one). starring Sonny Chiba.

Two Fists Against the Law, starring Hsu Chung-Hsin, Hwang Jang-Lee.

The Lady is the Boss, starring Liu Chia-Liang, Hui Ying-Hung.

Master Killer, Gordon Liu.

Shaolin Temple (the original Shaw Brothers version, a.k.a., Death Chamber), starring Fu Sheng, David Chiang, Ti Lung.

Jim

King T
02-02-2002, 10:38 PM
The karate kid 1-3 :p

African Tiger
02-02-2002, 11:15 PM
The 5 Deadly Venoms and the ultimate:

The Flying Guillotine! :D

thekuntawman
02-02-2002, 11:31 PM
what is the movie where the father does tiger style and the mother does crane, then the son comine them both?

its the first movie i saw in the drive in when i first moved to the US.

Chang Style Novice
02-03-2002, 03:39 AM
If you don't mind some comedy with your kungfu, you can't go wrong with the two flicks where Sammo Hung and Lau Kar Leung go at each other; Pedicab Driver and Skinny Tiger Fat Dragon.

jun_erh
02-03-2002, 07:46 AM
the mother/crane father tiger movie Kuntawman speaks is called Shaolin Executioners. If you liked that don't miss Fist of the White Lotus, which is I think the sequel and is a little better actually. This is the one starring Gordon Lui. There was a more recent Fist of the White Lotus that I didn't like and Gordon Lui is not in.

Also, if you're in to authentic styles check out some of these Mainland (as opposed to Hong Kong) flicks:

1.UNdaunted Wutang: All the mainland films are really beautiful. This one is famous for featuring internal styles such as Bagua, Hsing-I, and Tai Chi. Mainland movies have a little less action and more of a historical bent. Note, this is not part of the WU-Tang series, just similar title.
2. Holy Robe of Shaolin. This was released in the US as "Shaolin and Wu Tang Two: Wu tang Invasion" It features alot more action.
3. Revenge of the Tai Chi Master= first time I'd ever seen pushing hands. It's got some chicks doing tai chi boxing too.

There are more too like Shaolin Temple 3 starring Jet Lee, etc..

They are not as stylish as the HK ones but the action and scenery are oftn superior. Maybe BlackTaoist or one of those guys could clarify this a little if they feel like

Golden Arms
02-04-2002, 02:30 PM
Nice work!! This is just what I was looking for! Got a couple more to add to my collection too!!

-Golden Arms-

Order
02-04-2002, 06:01 PM
Lo Meng knows authentic Mantis Fist (which he started learning young) still works out SIX HOURS A DAY (according to his recent interview he does it naturally using trees and branches) to maintain his physique and everyone raves about the great shape Philip Kwok is in, it's a wonder they haven't appeared in any recent movies together.

red_fists
02-04-2002, 06:26 PM
Hi.

I enjoyed the "18 Men of Bronze" Movies and similar.

RENEGADE_MONK
02-04-2002, 10:10 PM
No one mentioned

The Victim- Sammo
The Buddhist Fist

Shaolin Vs Lama
Tiger Over Wall
8 Diagram Pole Fighter

Ray Pina
02-05-2002, 07:25 AM
I pretty much have every move discussed on VHS and am getting rid of them because I just got a DVD. If anyone wants, I'm charging $5 a pop, I'll give ya the whole lot, like 15 or 20, for $75.

Mine: 5 Deadly.

Kid with the Golden Arm

Mysterry of Chess Boxing

7 Grandmasters

Let's not forget Crouching Tiger (I know its new but its great)

Who mentioned the Fkying Guillotine? I thought I was the only one who saw that movie. Cool flick.

Master KIller.

On and on. I can watch these all day, even the bad ones.

stumpydee
02-05-2002, 07:28 AM
Here are some of my favourites

Snake & Crane
Snake & Egales Shadow
Dragon Fist
Legend of the Fighter
Magnifcent Butcher
Encounters of the Spooky Kind
Drunken Master
Twin Warriors
Iron Monkey (not Old School but period)
Fist of Legend

Thats just a few hard to remember when you are not near your collection

Damian

Order
02-05-2002, 04:13 PM
EvolutionFist I'll buy Seven Grandmasters, and mystery of Chess boxing off you. Just email me at Marijkad@msn.com.

PaleDragon
02-05-2002, 06:09 PM
Shaolin vs. lama
Shaolin vs. Ninja
Born Invincible
Sun dragon(anyone else seen this one...cool black guy)
Bruce Le and shaolin kung fu
the decsendant of wing chun
shaolin chastity kung fu
shaolin drunken monk
Chinese Samson
7 Grandmasters(!!!!!!!)
Eagle's Claw
i feel so much less alone in the world now.