PDA

View Full Version : Hung Gar Forms in Kenpo?

Kevin73
12-22-2000, 05:26 PM
I have seen the Tracy Kenpo, and they have 3 forms I was wondering about.

The Panther Set, and Tiger and Crane form I am told is right out of Hung Gar. Did they alter it any or was it modified some for Kenpo?

Also, they have a form called "Little Tiger", I was wondering where/what this style it was from.

Thanks alot

"There are many who talk of the Way, but few who walk the Way."

illusionfist
12-22-2000, 10:54 PM
I once saw a kenpo practitioner peforming a tiger and crane set at a tournament. It really doesn't look anything like tiger and crane, just some similar movements. They do make the classic hung gar kiu sau posture, but when they start to do the sequence called "three precious beads bridge", they do this weird flicking of the hands back and forth towards the chest.

Any kenpo practitioners out there that can help shed some light on this?

Peace :D

Kymus
12-22-2000, 10:59 PM
I am friends with two instructors of Parker & Tracey style. I'll see what kind of information I can gather

WongFeHung
12-24-2000, 06:43 AM
I have also seen a kenpo school do Lau Ga but 'Karateatized"

fiercest tiger
12-24-2000, 09:30 AM
for what its worth, i have heard that doo wai has taught tracy's kenpo some white tiger.

i dont want to start up a flame war on this, but thats what i was told. :)

peace

bakmeimonk@hotmail.com

MASTERMAN
12-24-2000, 07:13 PM
Started with a collabration between Master James Wing Wu (spelling) and Ed Parker and his first generation students. Ed Parker wanted to explore the Chinese roots and incorporate certain forms in his book Secrets of Chinese Karate (1964).

He worked out an arrangement with Master Wing Wu to co author his book. Parker and Master soon fell into disagreement on what should be added or not.

Any forms you see now have been altered or changed. To the best of my knowledge only Traditional Kenpo hold to the original way?!

Peace,

Dave S :cool:

Killah-B
12-26-2000, 04:10 AM
From my understanding,Kempo has somehow roots in Shaolin MA's.There are many Okinawan arts which have tiger,crane ,dragon.Keep in mind that Japan and China are ver close and share many things in common,like revering the tiger ,crane ,dragon.

I do not know too much about Kenpo/Kempo,but from seeing it I just niticed similarities.

BTW is it Okinawan or mainland Japanese?