PDA

View Full Version : Fighting very very big opponents.

Former castleva
02-02-2002, 08:55 AM
How would you do that?
My opinion is that you should forget about locking/pinning,twisting&throwing.
Cause it would be hard as hell to make it without lots of training.
I would use fast and tough strikes,some kicks to eyes,temples,throat and groin.

SevenStar
02-02-2002, 10:51 AM
:rolleyes:

"How would you do that?
I would use fast and tough strikes,some kicks to eyes,temples,throat and groin."

C'mon man.... Do you have any idea how hard it is to hit the throat of someone that doesn't want you to hit them there? And don't depend on groin strikes. Often times, you may not feel a groin strike during the adrenaline rush of a fight. I can personally attest to that. I fall into your "big guy" category. I'm only 5'9, but I weigh 210 and lift weights constantly. seeing someone like that intimidates alot of people, which adds another factor to the equation.

That being said, strikes to the eyes and throat are definitely viable, but you need to train them just as hard as you train your grappling, locking and throwing. In a fight, I really don't wanna pin or lock anybody anyway. throwing is excellent, and remember, the bigger they are....

You have to KNOW how to do the throw though, as you want to throw him fast and hard. If you have to struggle to get the throw off, then you are better off not using it, as you are now stepping into the realm where the bigger guy may have some advantage over you.

Wait....I just reread what you posted... KICKS to the eyes, temples and throat? that'll get you mollywocked in a fight.

premier
02-02-2002, 03:21 PM
Move. Move in, move out. Move in from different angles. Strike fast and from all angles. When you block, don't use the blocks that require a lot of muscular power. Deflect the strikes instead and move while blocking if possible. This is of course against people that are severely bigger and more powerful than you.

premier

curtis
02-02-2002, 08:09 PM
Former castleva
granted there are techniques network better against a large person, but I believe that you may overlook the most important element in a fight. (The lack of thought.)
The goal should be to react or respond to the situation. (Or to better state it, To use what the opponent gives you.) your responses should be natural and done without thought. Otherwise your reactions will be slow, and more easily avoided.
To do thus is both easy and hard. The easy part of this to train your own personal techniques, (those techniques which you believe you would need in a fight.) And to train them, so that they become a neural response. (In other words they become part of you.)
The hard part, is just as easy you must train.

I know are not being very clear, the skill that is necessary will take time to develop. All pending on what your personal goals are.

Self defense is easier to learn, because a high skill level is not necessary for survival. (All you need is just a few techniques)
becoming a martial art's takes many years of hard study and physical training. The term Gung Fu is translated to personalize excellence, or a high level of skill, (it does not necessarily mean fighting, like most people believe kungfu means.)
Now to answer your question.
First maintain your distance, do not let the opponent get close enough to strike you on one gross movement.
Second close down all gates. And lastly do not fight unless you are forced too! (keep your head, keep your eyes and mind alert to the situation.)
There is no honor in dying needlessly, so don't fight unless you have to. And then and only than do you use the tools that you have trained for self defense. (If you hone your skills to a razors edge, then even if you neglect your skills for many years, when you need it, although rusty a razor's edge will still cut. )
Sincerely yours C.A.G.

Former castleva
02-03-2002, 05:19 AM
Sevenstar,
Of course I was talking about kicks to groin,and strikes to other areas,I could have been more accurate though.
Thank you all.

guohuen
02-03-2002, 08:31 AM
Nut shot has always worked for me.

SevenStar
02-03-2002, 09:10 AM
just making sure :D

fmann
02-03-2002, 11:24 AM
Throat, eyes, jaw, fingers, sternum, etc.: There are a lot of naturally unprotected or weak areas on the body. However, usually, people naturally protect these areas with their stance, hands up, etc. in a real altercation.

Throws and manipulations are possible if you have the training, but you can't rely on "If I hit him here, he'll always feel it." With groin strikes, with throat strikes, with anything.

If possible, make space and run. If not, get help. If that's not an option, then you'll have to do the best you can and use the environment as an equalizer if possible. Wood, metal, concrete, etc. don't feel pain and they hurt, no matter how big the guy is. A weapon can negate size and strength.

Kristoffer
02-04-2002, 03:39 AM
I'd grab nearest chair and hit his head with it. Or better, throw someone else at him :D

JerryLove
02-04-2002, 10:44 AM
How would you do that? That would depend on what he did.

I would use fast and tough strikes,some kicks to eyes,temples,throat and groin. And why do you feel those would somehow be easier? Why do you believe that he cannot be uprooted but can be injured by striking?

You want to take someone whose major advantage is strength and padding, and play "you hit me, I hit you" with them?

If he's an incompitent grappler, I like grappling (with close in striking ti encourage cooperation). If he's a compitent grappler, I probibly have not choice but grappling (as he will force the issue).

Either way, I'd rather dump him on his head than hit his head. I have nothing against hitting, and by all means, choose the best targets you can, but I don't expect to win a striking game with someone much larger and reasonably powerful.

What do you find works for you in sparring / play?

Kristoffer
02-07-2002, 09:16 AM
I find it very hard to uproot and throw someone that is fighting back ( if he is a taller, bigger and stronger big-ass-monster-guy)

TheOnlyD
02-20-2002, 05:10 PM
PRESSURE POINTS!!!!!! THE GREAT EQUALIZER!!
It doens't matter how big they are, pressure points always hurt the same. And that is a LOT. If you spend some time researching a book of pressure points (Or ask your sifu/master whatever) you can find some EASY to access points that will bring ANY man to their knees if hit right. You wouldn't IMAGINE how many pressure points there are around your body. I know VERY FEW of them, but I rely confident in the fact that I would be able to nail at LEAST one in a desperate situation.

red_fists
02-20-2002, 05:17 PM
I would say go for the pressure points inside of Joints or the joints directly.

Especially the major joints (Hips, Shoulders), not that well protected.
Most people originate their movements from them.

Don't even try to block/strike his arms or legs.

fmann
02-20-2002, 09:49 PM
Contrary to popular belief, pressure points don't always work, just like mace and pepper spray don't always work (or may even incite the bigger guy to get angrier).

A good chair to the head works a little more often than not.

curtis
02-21-2002, 06:38 AM
Fmann you are right!
most presurepoints are very small and hard to find on some people,(not to menchen if thay are wearing a jacket,or thick clothing.) in the time span of a fight,and the moveing that is takeing place, I dont belive preasure points to be a good selfdefence skill.(thay can work.but???I dont think so!)
The 2x4 to the back of the head,seems to work most of the time on most everyone.
but on the nicer side. so dose a kick to the side of the knee.(if he cant walk, he cant fight,so I can walk away!) and thats the best way to fight someone biger than you. DONT FIGHT!!!!
Have a good day. C.A.G.

Outcast
02-21-2002, 05:13 PM
I guess I had best add few points to this post, the reason being that I am one of those big opponents that can worry a martial artist.

When it comes to moves that hurt, I guess a good knee shot (as mentioned by curtis)or a stamp/seven star step onto the instep or toes has stopped me in the past.

I do expect a few nut or head shots, but then again I m MA too, a drunken neanderthal may just try and hit as hard as he can and forget defence. Thats fine as long as you dont catch a big swinging haymaker punch.

Prem mentioned moving in and out and alternating attack angles, that works great if I try and follow. After a short while I end up exhausted and easy prey. I tend to remain fairly static now and try to let the little guy burn up energy bouncing around.

I have taken on grapplers before, some of the most painfull things that I have had are the little finger and the thumb being twisted or wrenched, that really put me off hitting back with that hand. But it takes confidence to go up close, I have had some people try it and panic when they are caught (not that I would harm a sparring partner of course)

I have found a good shot to the temple and armpits works well too, hitting around the stomach, chest, upper legs and arms is something I soak up well.

The only way I can recommend (as mentioned by Jerry) for getting used to bigger opponents is to spar with one. Also talk through the techniques. At my old club a good freind of mine ( a 6'3" and 20 stone Wing Chun sifu) and I used to get kitted up in full body armour and go beserk, this gave the other blokes a feel for taking on a 'charging bull' and let them go in full contact with some hits. However if in doubt avoid a fight or use that chair!

Either way the martial artist I have always found difficult to take on are guys who are experienced, relaxed and confident with their style. I hope this is of some use and that I have not just fallen into stating the obvious (bear in mind I am a large thick neanderthal when it comes to explaining myself), all the best folks

Outcast

Silicon Vortex
02-22-2002, 12:29 PM
I qualify as a very big guy, I'm 6'7" 275lbs. There are three main problems that people have against me while training, and I assume that they'll have the same problems on the street.

1. Keep your guard up up up up up. My strikes are comming down to your head. If your hands are at your eye level, I'm still looking down over your hands, with clear open shots to you head. You'll feel like you have a very large opening in your middle, but don't worry too much about it. The angle is so severe that it's difficult for me to strike there.

2. Chop the tree. Don't open with head strikes. You have to hit low, ribs, knees, groin, to open up the throat and face.

And the hardest one to deal with...

3. Range. My optimum range is 2 or 3 inches outside of your range. If you let me control the range of the fight, you will always be out of range to hit. My legs are longer, a lot longer. You can't afford to stay at the end of my feet, you have to come inside. Pick your kicks carefully. Depending on how you kick, my arms are as long as your legs. A straight punch destroys your balance when you are trying to kick.

Hope this helps. I second what Outcast said, train against big guys. That's probably the best help. And don't worry too much, almost everyone I train with is smaller than me (big suprise) and I have a long way to go before I never loose ;).

S.V.

Rolling Elbow
03-04-2002, 11:00 AM
lie down and take the beating..accept the fact that you are f**ked!

Honestly..rely on smart instinct- hit and get out. Doesn't matter what you do as long as you clear the space to hit the road!!!!

Ray Pina
03-14-2002, 02:36 PM
I'd rather fight a big guy in training situations. Otherwise I feel like a bully.

Take what you can get. Chop him down piece by piece but this happnes quickly. Don't want to go into detail how, because of technology sharing -- can't do it.

But think of hitting what is there, think of chi sau. The brige is there. Don't be kind in making a bridge. From the double bridge its now about sensitivity. Find the whole and hit it violently.

Size matters no doubt! But the snake does not beat fox because of its size.

grogan
03-15-2002, 03:26 AM
Start crying and blubbering for your mother and when he turns away in disgust kick him in the back!

wolfkiller
03-15-2002, 07:00 AM
what works better against big attackers? short range techniques or long range techniques?

curtis
03-17-2002, 06:29 AM
I would suggest it's not the range that is important. It your skilled level and what your most proficient in. Each long and short range have their advantages and disadvantages.
Fighting is not a sport. It involves mainly pure aggression/violence and lightening fast responses. (Meaning whatever you do must be natural for you.)
My suggestion would be, whatever you do making quick, to take the opponent out as fast as possible so that you can continue on with your life.
Don't let your opponents advantages become your disadvantages.
The easiest way to do that. Is to remember your life is online. Making it count !!!
Sincerely C.A.G.

LEGEND
03-17-2002, 05:16 PM
Take him down and hold on for dear life!!!