PDA

View Full Version : Is my knee okay?

SevenStar
02-02-2002, 11:55 PM
I was squatting the other day, only 315, which Is normally not a problem. On one of the reps, I felt and heard a pop in my knee. I finished the set, and tried to work the knee a little. The pain was only slight, so I continued to squat. My knee felt tight - actually stronger than it was before. I no longer feel the tightness, but the pop concerned me, as those pops are normally associated with a torn ACL. I guess I'm wondering if I should get it checked out.

fmann
02-03-2002, 11:11 AM
Any pain or swelling? Also, can you fully flex and extend your knee without pain or popping or anything?

IronFist
02-03-2002, 03:40 PM
Hmmm, well this might not be relevent, but, my knees pop every time I bend them all the way.

::pop::

Did you hear that? I just popped it for you. It's the exact same sound as when someone cracks their knuckles, for refrence. So, if you hear (heard) that, it's probably nothing. My knees have cracked like this ever since I was in 6th grade (that's the earliest I remember being able to do it). No tension or anything, I just bend my knee and when my heel gets close to my butt, it pops.

I imagine I may have problems later in life from this, but so far I haven't had anything bad at all (knock on wood). And, I'm sure playing goalie in hockey for 3 years and falling on my knees over and over 5 days per week probably didn't help any :)

But if it doesn't hurt, I would probably say don't worry about it. You may want to take a few days off and start back light.

Then again, I'm no expert on knees.

315 for reps, dāmn. Well, not dāmn, just dāmn for me because my legs suck ass. How much do you weigh, dude?

Iron

SevenStar
02-03-2002, 04:04 PM
There's no swelling, and it doesn't hurt during normal everyday things, like walking, but If I'm practicing my kicks, it will begin to hurt after a while. Actually, it's not really my knee that hurts, but just below it. It doesn't hurt when I squat either. My knees pop all the time too, Iron, but this time I felt the pop.

BTW Iron, what style do you train in?

dunbarj01
02-03-2002, 06:03 PM
Hi 7*,

Long time no "see". I think some of the cracking and popping that joints make is due to a bit of nitrogen gasshifting in the spaces around the joint. Maybe you should wait and see...

...315! Nads o' steel!:eek:

fmann
02-03-2002, 09:43 PM
It sounds like you probably strained a ligament, but probably not the ACL. I think the ACL prevents the knee bones from moving out too far in extension (or was that flexion?) so if you can extend and flex w/o pain, it's not that.

IronFist
02-03-2002, 11:08 PM
Me? When I was young I studied Isshinryu karate for a year or two. Then I took a break for years, then I went to a Hapkido school for a few weeks in high school. Now in college I'm learning wing chun from video cuz there's no WC sifus anywhere near me. Oh yeah, at my university we have Taekwondo and Shotokan and Aikido, but they're not my thing.

Aren't I honest? I could have said "yeah dude I'm studying wing chun" and left it at that, and you would have gone "yeah, what a bad ass!" But not, I give you the full wing chun video story so I can get made fun of by everyone :) That's my story.

You never answered how much you weigh?

Iron

SevenStar
02-05-2002, 02:35 AM
A gentleman never tells what he weighs :)

Nah, I fluctuate depending on what my training is focusing on. I usually stay between 210 and 220, but am considering dropping back to 190. When I was 190 back in high school though, 315 was still no problem. But I've got 28' legs too, so that probably helps.

I've never really gotten into WC. I found it confusing, but I put that on the teacher and not on the style itself. Which tapes do you have?

I loved karate, which I was training in before I got into MT shuai jiao and long fist. The guy I was training with was from Japan and trained there all his life. He's a badass. It's not as stiff and rigid as most people think. Now he spends most of his time in japan, but we still train together when he gets back to the states. Hopefully I can get over there soon. It's really cool to train with someone for a while then not see them for 6 months or more, then get together and train again. You see how both of you progressed over the months and see how/where your skill has evolved. We trained together every day, and it was like if we sparred, we knew what the other would do, because we knew eachother so well. After he left and returned for the first time, it was like fighting a completely different person.

xiong
02-05-2002, 06:08 AM
Hey Sevenstar

It sounds like a knuckle pop sort of thing. If there is no pain I think it is unlikely that you damaged ligamnts or tendons.

I don't lift but 315# seems like a lot to me as well.

Lastly, sorry to be so lame about the diagram. I have been struggling with me school work and frankly just procrastinating. I'll have it for you by the weekend.

Take care of those knees.

SevenStar
02-06-2002, 05:50 AM
No prob bud, I know how hectic school work can get. I'm in no rush.

Merryprankster
02-08-2002, 05:30 PM
I love all you guys on here, but 315 for reps as being a lot? I think I must have hung out with muscleheads when I was in highschool and college or something!!! :)

Eh, we've all got our strong points---my bench has always sucked.

As for the knee--seven, I wouldn't worry. My knee has loose MCLs and LCLs. Nothing bad, just natural. They pop all the time, and it's just the ligament popping over the bone a little. It hurts only very slightly... not even enough to worry about.

I would say you are ok.

premier
02-08-2002, 06:33 PM
Talking about knees.. When I was practising on Thursday I thought I should do my broadsword form a few times. I grabbed my si hings sword and started to do the form. I was about 1/3 through and there was this part where I was supposed to kind of jump forward and chop my imaginary opponent in little pieces. Anyway. My co-ordination failed and I hit the blade right in the middle of my left knee cap.. Luckily, the sword wasn't sharpened and the knee cap didn't split =) Just a little scratch on the skin and a sore knee cap.

Yeah. That was kind of off topic. Just a reminder of why we don't practise with real swords ;)