PDA

View Full Version : Boxing in the early 1900s, a little help please?

Tien Long
02-03-2002, 06:39 AM
ALright, I'm doing this report on Jack Johnson, the first African American heavyweight champion of boxing, and I need help on a couple of subtle facts. Some of the matches that he fights extends beyond 20 rounds. Judging from his lack of physical fitness, how could anyone go on for 20 rounds or more? How long were some of these matches? Exactly how different was the boxer's stance and methods of attack from modern boxing? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

curtis
02-03-2002, 07:32 AM
Hi
There has been many earas in boxxing that have changed over the years. non more inporant than the rules.(please forgive me for the spellings, I dont have time to use spell check and or a refferance book foor the corect spellings.)
in the early years there were many rules (or different sets of rules) in some the round wouldnt end until someone got knocked down, and in others like today the round was timed.
bare knockle boxing was different than todaays boxxing in many ways, (first the gloves were interduced, which portect the hands,unlike what most people belive,) the strikes were not as powerfull due to the damage on the knuckles. body shots were more widley used and jabbing the the face, instead of the more common hooks to the face,that are used more widely today.
It was not unheared of to have 20 to 40 rounds (the men litteraly killed them selfs)

I have to run! good luck on you quest.
there are many books on the early years of boxing. Good luck.C.A.G.

qeySuS
02-03-2002, 07:52 AM
you should read the www.kungfumagazine.com (our sponsor *yay*) article about the history of boxing.

http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/ezine/2_2/boxing.html

Merryprankster
02-03-2002, 09:19 AM
Some perhaps useless facts:

1st, don't judge the fitness of a man by their appearance. I know guys that don't look like much that are like the energizer bunny.

The introduction of gloves is the single biggest factor in changing boxing styles. Note the old time boxers--stance is upright, lead hand is fairly far out in front, with the rear hand "loaded."

The introduction of gloves to protect the hands, creates lower stances, to facilitate power in the shots (sit into your punches...) reducing (somewhat), movement. Slipping, and bob and weave became more prevalent since the mobility was somewhat reduced.

Having two pillows in front of your face made the high guard an effective defense. Power shots to the head became more feasible, and more common.

I'd also note that active blocking was a big part of bareknucks boxing if you read the texts of the day. This has given way to the parry in combination with the slip, and using the elbows, shoulder and gloves to absorb shots, rather than block, in the classic sense of the word.

Black Belt Jones 1
02-03-2002, 09:59 AM
If I were you I'd check out the book "Championship Streetfighting - Boxing as a Martial Art". by Ned Beaumont. He really goes into detail about the differences between turn-of-the-century boxing and what they do nowadays. Lots of historical info and some in depth details on particular fighters and their styles. You can get it at Paladin Press.

Black Jack
02-03-2002, 12:52 PM
Old school bare knuckle pugilism was very different than what we find today, a lot of the power generation looked like Hsing I, it was a more complete set of countering skills, fist hardening with tannic solution, rough and tumble grappling street skills, eye rakes, and even different strikes like the Mendoza Chopper (hammerfist).

I have a bunch of links to information on that era and even online manuels from Donald Walker on bare knuckle pugilism and its skills and training.

I have to run so I will post them later.

rogue
02-03-2002, 08:04 PM
Don't forget trapping and tying up the arms.