PDA

View Full Version : Trapping

dre_doggX
02-03-2002, 04:15 PM
I have long arms and am tall 6.2 I have some trouble trapping when my opponent pulls back, ( could push using his froce but that wont trap him, How do you trap when you opponent pulls.????

what are the keys to trapping

whippinghand
02-03-2002, 04:48 PM
centreline, centreline, centreline.

CLOUD ONE
02-03-2002, 04:59 PM
Keeping structure and don't over extend!!!

Timing! Timing! Timing!

Girl Power
02-03-2002, 05:10 PM
The other responses are correct but i might add you shouln't think about trapping. Think about hitting. Traps are something which happen or do not happen if you try to force them, then you will become preoccupied and miss striking opportunities.

GP

Wingman
02-03-2002, 06:06 PM
I agree with Girl Power. Trapping should not be an end by itself. If you are preoccupied with trapping, you could get hit. It is better to attack your opponent first. His reaction to your attack may open an opportunity to trap.

old jong
02-03-2002, 06:29 PM
....Trap!...:rolleyes:

Roy D. Anthony
02-03-2002, 11:13 PM
You may want to try trapping with a different range. shorter range arms such as in Chum Kiu. after all that's what it's for, middle range traps. Enjoy!!!
OOooooops, I said too much.

Nichiren
02-04-2002, 03:52 AM
Roy: How about expanding on CK and trapping... :D

stuartm
02-04-2002, 06:55 AM
If youre opponent pulls you, say with a lap sau you should step in with lan sau or bong sau, pin and punch over/through your lan/bong.

Alternatively just step in and deliver an elbow strike to his / her centre - this should give you a few more options.

Best wishes, Stu

old jong
02-04-2002, 07:22 AM
Why not just punch the guy as he pulls away (from what?) When there is no contact,charge straight.
What is the use for "Trapping" when you just have to punch?...If he blocks (or deflects whatever) use that contact at your advantage.

If you really want to trap: Dig a hole and cover it with branches! Maybe your opponent will fall in it!;)

P.S. we are not in JKD!:rolleyes:

stuartm
02-04-2002, 07:43 AM
Hi Old jong - I agrre with some of your comments. Trapping is a poor phrase - youd be extremely lucky to 'trap' someone when they are going hell for leather trying to hit you !

However, with my lan sau example, its not so much of a trap, but a way of obstructing your opponent while you hit / control / change your angle.

Probably the best way of 'trapping' is by controlling the opponents elbow quickly and with forward pressure. This will compltetly destroy his centreline. Unless they throw a biu sau quickly underneath then youll be able to control long enough to give them a solid punch to the jaw.

I think people get too obsessed with trapping. Controlling is a better focus of your training.

Rgds, Stuart

old jong
02-04-2002, 08:15 AM
Control is the correct way to see it. Sticking skills from chi sau practice makes that control possible.
If you look at various BJJ/muay thai and the likes internet forum; you will see that they think wingchunners are only looking to "trap" a guy's hands in order to strike him!...That expression was brought by JKD people along with the "straightblast" and things like that!...I think our art is much more that "playing with an other guy hands! Don't you?...No wonder they compare chi sau to "pattycake"
Let's stick and control and forget about "trapping" It does not fit in our system.

stuartm
02-04-2002, 08:31 AM
Well said OJ ! If something presents itself in Chi Sau then exploit it . but dont force it. If somebody over commits on their bong, then yes - put a lock on, but dont force it using brute strength. Thats not skill, its desperation!!!

Good thread guys.

Stuart

Kuen
02-04-2002, 12:08 PM
rock on old jong!
better to leave the "trapping" to the Mullett-heads in JKD. Ever noticed how JKD guys know more about Wing Chun than you, your kung fu brothers or Sifu? :rolleyes:

old jong
02-04-2002, 02:08 PM
This word should be banned from the vocabulary of all Wing Chun people!
It is not even a Wing Chun "concept" (If I may use that term!);)

rubthebuddha
02-04-2002, 02:21 PM
careful, old jong. you say the "C" word around here, you'd better duck.

;)

old jong
02-04-2002, 04:23 PM
Yeah, they must have it copyright!...Let's use the word "principle" instead!;)

Roy D. Anthony
02-04-2002, 04:29 PM
Trapping, a JKD concept. Think again!!!

Roy D. Anthony
02-04-2002, 04:31 PM
Nicheren, what would you like to know?

old jong
02-04-2002, 04:39 PM
O.K. let's say a JKD deformation!:rolleyes:

Roy D. Anthony
02-04-2002, 04:56 PM
Remember Old Jong, JKD came from Wing Chun!

old jong
02-04-2002, 04:58 PM
That's why I said deformation Roy!

Roy D. Anthony
02-04-2002, 05:15 PM
Well Old Jong, many people of the Wing Chun Ip Man lineages have given up on trapping simply because it seems not to work in a real fight. This was also proven way back in the Hong Kong challenge match days.
For years the rivalry between Choy Lai Fat and WIng Chun, met with equal results. Alternating wins. Finally when Ip Man suggested that the fighters simply use the chain punching, Wing Chun ended on top for years running.
This may explain why some may chose not to emphasize trapping hands as much these days.

old jong
02-04-2002, 05:53 PM
I believe that simple things have a better chance to work in a fight than complicated techniques.I don't really know about those fights you talk about. Who really knows?...There are so much stories told.It is hard to separate the truth from legends sometimes.

Nichiren
02-05-2002, 12:47 AM
Roy: Nice one there. I took it up with my Dai-Sisok after your subtle reply and it kind of clicked. I have been using a lot of the techniques from Chum Kiu in Chi-sao for years without actually reflecting over them before... :o

stuartm
02-05-2002, 05:31 AM
The techniques being mentioned in Chum Kil are not trapping techniques in my opinion. WC is NOT a trapping art. They are shot range techniques to stop yourself being controlled - lan sau in particular. I have never seen anyone truly trapped in sparring. Their fighting options have been limited by a WC technique but this is not trapping. If you go the floor then you may be able to trap - but this is down to your ground fighting skills.

My old WC teacher was proficient in both jujitsu and aikido - I would not dare to challenge him on the ground. WC works best on your feet - fact !

And if anyone says that the only difference with WC on the ground is that the horizon / line changes .................. !!

Know the strengths and limitations of your art and you will be a well-rounded martial artist.

Just an opinion though.

Rgds, Stuart

Roy D. Anthony
02-05-2002, 01:17 PM
Actually Thank You Nicheron for understanding what I was saying.......smiles on you!!!!

Stuart, one should stop looking from only the yin side, and consider the yang side as well.
Is the glass half empty or half full?
Positive answer, Half full.negative answer Half empty, best answer, Both!!!

Roy D. Anthony
02-05-2002, 11:37 PM
Old Jong! you should talk to your Sijo about this. He's here in Toronto, I'm sure he can confirm this one for you.

wingchunalex
02-06-2002, 01:26 PM
one shouldn't try to trap when the opponent pulls back. trying to pull when they pull goes against a basic kung fu principle, not to mention a wing chun principle-you never meet force with force. if your opponent trys to pull back, just punch. don't try to force the trap. like the saying goes, stay with what comes, fallow what goes, thrust forward when your hand is free. for a seccessful trap, you have to catch them on the extention. if your going for complicated traps, like getting their arms crossed-it will come in time. just practice doing the moves slowly, not warp speed like so many people do. you can also practice your trapping slowly in chi sau. dont roll warp speed. its now how fast someone is, its who gets there first.

Roy D. Anthony
02-06-2002, 01:37 PM
WingChunAlex,
Of course you are right, however follow what goes can also allow for more trapping. Sometimes punching as he/she leaves is fruitless since penetration will not be as effective. These are things to consider in addition to your answer.:)

Highlander
02-07-2002, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by Roy D. Anthony
Is the glass half empty or half full?
Positive answer, Half full.negative answer Half empty, best answer, Both!!!

Highlander's answer "The glass is too big". :D