PDA

View Full Version : Reference for Posture Names.

red_fists
02-03-2002, 06:58 PM
Hi All.

Does anybody know of a resource that lists and references the Tai Chi Posture names across styles.

Often the same Posture is used, but the name varies.
Ex.:
Dragon on the Ground = Creeping low like a snake.
Fair Lady shuttles = Push square style

Would also be interested in references to Hsing Yi and Ba Gua Postures, as I study a mixed style.
Thanks, in advance for any Info

Felipe Bido
02-03-2002, 08:27 PM
I got all the names of the postures in the Hsing Yi forms of my system, but they're in document format. It's 11 pages long, so that would be too much to post here. Is there any specific forms you are interested in?

red_fists
02-03-2002, 08:33 PM
Hi Felipe.

I am trying to build a personal Database of Postures to cross-reference them.

So I would be interested in the whole lot, if you are willing to share it.

As I mentioned my style is mixed and I try to figure out which parts are from which style.
I already know the parts that our Founder added in.

Got a lot of TCC Info(still wokrig on it), but still lack nearly everything in Hsing Yi & Ba Gua.
I know of 4 Ba Gua postures in our Forms so far.

So anything that you are willing to share either off-list or on-list would be welcome.
I know that some Instructors are reluctant to share a lot of Info publicly.

Thanks again.

Sam Wiley
02-03-2002, 09:04 PM
Are you looking for a list of just posture names, or the names with the techniques/applications attached? I can email you a list of posture names from the styles I practice if that's all you want. I practice both Taiji and Bagua.

red_fists
02-03-2002, 09:11 PM
Hi Sam.

Just the Posture Names will be fine.

Techniques and applications tend to vary and might confuse the issue at the moment.

One Posture we got is similar to one on EM'S site "Sitting like a mandarin Duck" except we use it in an unarmed Form.

Again, thanks for providing Info.

Sam Wiley
02-03-2002, 09:31 PM
Okay, I'll start typing.

Oh, Sit Like a Duck is one of the postures in the Old Yang form as well. It's not just in the weapon form on his site.:)

red_fists
02-03-2002, 09:36 PM
Hi Sam.

I like "Sit like a Duck" tough one to get into in the beginning. ;)

In my current Form we the following 3 times
- Sit like a Duck
- Flying Dragon style

Speak to you soon.

Felipe Bido
02-04-2002, 07:56 AM
Ok, I'll send you the names of some Hsing Yi postures, and a brief description of them, so you have a better idea.

For example, the "Crouching Dragon lies on the ground" is the posture you see in my avatar.

And, in our system, the turn of the Drilling Fist form is equal to the "snake creeps down" posture of Tai Chi.

I'll be working on that tonight