PDA

View Full Version : OT: Anyone else watching Combat Missions

rogue
02-04-2002, 06:37 AM
This show is interesting, even has my wife hooked. It's interesting to see how the SWAT team members operate(cautious, team oriented) in contrast to some of the special ops teams(highly competitive with each other).

Budokan
02-04-2002, 07:36 AM
Hasn't it been on before? If it's the same show I'm thinking about then yes, I've seen it and it's not too bad.

rogue
02-04-2002, 07:40 AM
Bubokan, it's weekly and plays at 10 PM Wednesday and Sunday.
It's like survivor but for spec ops.

Budokan
02-04-2002, 07:41 AM
Yeah, that's the one. It's pretty good and has added relevance post 9/11.

myosimka
02-04-2002, 08:15 AM
and I can't stand 'reality' shows.

Interesting to see how the training has paid off. Hope SWAT and military trainers are watching. The primary issue the SWAT guys have had is their physical conditioning but mission performance they have done extremely well. Ie. more running/lifting for swat guys and more situational training for the military guys seems in order.

rogue
02-04-2002, 08:24 AM
I thought this weeks episode with the vehicle take-down was interesting. The SWAT team + a SEAL + MFR took the truck down perfectly, while the military (Team Delta) guys totally hosed it from the start.

I think there could be a lot of lessons in these shows about mind-set and tactics.

Black Jack
02-04-2002, 10:48 AM
Rogue,

Man I love that show, finally something reality tv show that is fun to watch!

Stranger
03-02-2002, 12:06 PM
Intense episode with a lot of bad blood between Alpha and Delta.
O'Shea is now gone, and his team is left undersized.

Not "real", but still the best reality show on TV.

rogue
03-02-2002, 04:42 PM
I think that Scott on Delta would be the first to sellout his team mates to win. With all the ambushes I wonder why no one walks point?

Another show that I liked last season and I think it just started again was the WWF/MTV reality show Tough Enough. The kids that made the finals showed tons of heart.

Stranger
03-02-2002, 04:59 PM
rogue,

I don't know about whether or not Scott would sKrew one of his teammates over to win, but I think that what he is doing is very effective. ;)

rogue
03-02-2002, 05:14 PM
Agreed, my wife was surprised by how thin skinned the other SEALS were.

Tien Long
03-02-2002, 05:32 PM
The thing that gets me about Scott is his whole "psy-ops" tactics. O'Shea was nursing a very bad situation, having boched the hostage rescue in the previous episode. Scott simply made the situation worse with his taunts and behavior. At first I was angry at the fact that this Navy SEALS operative was acting like a baby, and not showing dignity for the SEALS. However, as I thought about it more, "Combat Missions" is a contest, and Scot's behavior was very much like the old adage, 'Alls fair in love and war." So what if he was acting like a jerk? It was contained solely on the battlefield, and didn't go beyond that. The people here are in it to win, and seem willing to use any means necessary to claim victory. Still, when Scot screws up and loses, I wonder how he will like a taste of his own medicine.

rogue
03-02-2002, 05:40 PM
While I'm no fan of Scott, he does show why they call it unconventional warfare.:)

Stranger
03-02-2002, 11:42 PM
Scott is giving them nothing they haven't seen in BUD/S. One of the psychological keys to getting through BUD/S is to not take things personally and stay on an even keel. Throwing temper tantrums like people in Alpha are doing is not an option. I think Rudy, off the record, approved of what Scott was doing but had to crack the whip for the show's sake. Being compared to Muhammed Ali's trash talking with skills to back it up is hardly a dis. The Marine Recon Sgt. Major got p!ssed because he is trained to still think "in the box".

Radhnoti
03-03-2002, 07:44 PM
According to Rogue's previously posted timeline, it's gonna be on in 10 minutes. You guys have got me interested enough to check it out. It's on USA, correct? ...not that you'll see this in time to let me know. :)

Stranger
03-03-2002, 09:09 PM
It is coming on at midnight EST.

Radhnoti
03-03-2002, 09:56 PM
Thanks. Good timing too...it's just about to come on.

rogue
03-04-2002, 10:53 AM
What'd ya thin Rhadoti?

Radhnoti
03-04-2002, 01:20 PM
I have to say, after one viewing...only seeing Delta and Alpha go at it...I'm a Delta fan. Not because of Scott, who I see as a means to an end, but because of Delta's leader...the CIA guy. I think he's a Machiavelli student. He was all for Scott psyoping the opposition, told THEM he'd reign him in... but didn't, when it looked like Scott was gonna get the smack laid down in "The Pit" he stepped up and took responsibility for a strategy gone wrong (preserving a very effective weapon in Scott). That guy's my hero, and my pick to win it out of everyone I've seen so far.
All in all, a very cool show. Definitely on my "to watch" list now.

Stranger
03-23-2002, 08:39 AM
Any opinions on recent episodes?

Radhnoti
03-23-2002, 05:26 PM
I'm not rogue, but I'll make a comment. ;)
I was surprised that the competitions to follow would eliminate entire TEAMS. Raises the stakes a bit...and really even a team missing some men could pull an upset.
Any more rules like this that I've missed?

Stranger
03-24-2002, 10:02 AM
I think the suddent death element of the next round is going to end with one of the more successful teams (ie. Delta) getting caught on a bad day and getting sent home (which will be beat).

SWAT, despite the initial hype, is not making as big an impact on me as it apparently has with other viewers.

I don't think that the missions are exactly even, in that BG response is not a constant. Some of the teams seemed to experience more drama than others during the hangar mission (ie. when the ATF agent immediately bolted from the hangar).

One of the BG's in the hangar was very skilled. He did a lot of damage to some of those teams.

Stranger
03-29-2002, 07:04 AM
Charlie Team has been dismissed.

Stranger
04-08-2002, 02:12 PM
Alpha Team has been dismissed.

Stranger
04-10-2002, 08:54 PM
Delta Team has been dismissed.

Radhnoti
04-11-2002, 12:45 PM
OH NO! :mad: :(
I gotta catch that one...

Stranger
04-17-2002, 09:11 PM
Dexter Fletcher
Miami-Dade SWAT

Stranger
04-23-2002, 12:21 PM
1) Which operators did you find the most impressive based on their performance? How about based on their career profiles?

2) How did you feel about the outcome?

3) Do you believe the competition's structure had any flaws that could be adjusted for future competitions?