PDA

View Full Version : Superbawl

Budokan
02-04-2002, 07:51 AM
A LOT of money changed hands yesterday with the upset win in New Orleans. Funny. You had to figure the Patriots were destined to win when they were introduced as a team, and the Rams simply showboated individually as they came out onto the field. *Yawn* Just like every other team before them.

Give the Patriots credit for that psychological move. They had their game-face on and beat the Rams not only through physical play, but mental as well. I think the Patriots were inside the Rams' head from the get go, really, which speaks to a favorite topic of mine...

To wit: Mental preparation is at least as important (and some, myself included, would argue *more* important) than physical when it comes to MA. I think the person, or team, who is better mentally prepared always has the better chance to come out on top in a confrontation. I'm not saying physical preparation doesn't have any part to play, but it's secondary to the mental aspect, IMO.

An important point to remember for anyone who wants to be more than an armchair martial arts warrior.

Badger
02-04-2002, 08:24 AM
I'm prob. the only person who didn't watch the super bowel.
Never found football all that exciting.

Badger

qeySuS
02-04-2002, 09:12 AM
Even i watched it ! :)

It's always the only football game i watch every year.

Tigerstyle
02-04-2002, 09:27 AM
I agree with Budokan about that mental preparation crap :) . Being mentally trained lets you access your physical attributes and skills more efficiently when it's "game time".

Does that make sense to anyone else?

Jaguar Wong
02-04-2002, 09:43 AM
I think the SB was fixed this year. I mean c'mon, the PATRIOTS won during a time when our soldiers are fighting a war on terrorism and PATRIOTISM is more important than rams. :p

Anyway, I only saw the end, when the Rams scored two unanswered touchdowns to tie the game, and then the great New England offensive drive to get into field goal range for the win. That was a great ending, especially with Madden almost panicking at New England's choice to move the ball forward rather than running the clock down and taking it to OT (would have been the first time in SuperBowl™ history I found out last night :)). Other than that I was upset that I missed all the commercials. Now I gotta go to adcritic.com, but it's just not the same :(

I didn't plan on watching it, but I was flippin' through channels after dinner, and nothing else was really on (I guess no one wanted to compete against the grand daddy of TV that day ;)).

Mutant
02-04-2002, 10:17 AM
While I'm not the biggest sports 'fan' in the world, I had the opportunity to watch that great Superbowl game downtown Boston with thousands of rabid Patriots fans and the energy level and enthusiasm was amazing!

I agree that mental preparation is at least as important as physical preparation.

I think that this Patriots team exemplifies these 'intangibles'; mental fortitude, psychological warfare, positive attitude, having heart, being selfless, using strategy and brains to defeat superior firepower....which is quite rare to witness these days in professional sports.

Tigerstyle
02-04-2002, 10:19 AM
AdCritic is down indefinitely :(

Jaguar Wong
02-04-2002, 12:07 PM
ARGGHHHH!

Oh well, lucky for us there's still iFilm.com. They've got all the SB ads up and running. They even have some PETA ads that Fox refused to air. I gotta check those out. :)

Robinf
02-04-2002, 12:24 PM
It's about time the Pats won! This is their third Super Bowl appearance. I remember watching the other two. My father has been waiting a long, long time for this. Watching the game I kept praying, "Just win for my Dad". What good boys they are :D

As for the commercials, I didn't see anything at all worth what they spent to get them aired.

Robin

Chum Kil
02-04-2002, 01:20 PM
Now lets go Bruins and Red Sox.

Budokan
02-04-2002, 02:13 PM
...they s*cked, mostly. The ad about the battlebots and the one where the Clydesdales bowed their heads to the broken skyline of New York were great, but other than that...they all blew. Watching the commercials during Superbowl is part of the fun, but this year they just weren't as good. Here are some of the low-lights this year:

The Britney Spears Pepsi commercial. *Yawn* Enough of this bubble-gum popping b*tch already. Please, somebody whack her.

M-Life. First of all, what the frig is it, and secondly, who friggin' cares anyway? Another loser commercial.

Way too many commericials touting movies, IMO.

All in all, very little in the way of innovation or creativity with this years' Superbowl commericials. What a shame.

Ky-Fi
02-04-2002, 02:53 PM
Even though I prefer hockey and baseball over football, I would still have to conclude:

Greatest Event in Boston Sport's History.

SevenStar
02-04-2002, 09:25 PM
The E-Trade commercial was cool. So was the yahoo! one.

African Tiger
02-04-2002, 11:11 PM
I'm just happy the St. Louis turncoats have finally received their comeuppance for leaving Los Angeles.

The only thing they are Ramming is their own heads into the locker room walls. WAHOOOOOOO!

respectmankind
02-04-2002, 11:32 PM
i didn't watch it, I hate that stuff. Interupts my Star Trek.

Ford Prefect
02-05-2002, 10:42 AM
Being born and bread in Boston, let me just say GO PATS!!! The partying in the streets afterward was so much fun. I never saw a bon fire in the middle of the street before!

jun_erh
02-05-2002, 09:07 PM
I was at the parade today, frozen. One thing: if Mcginnest hadn't gotten that penalty in the 4th (the called back 99 yd run) it would have been a blowout. He could've been another Bill Buckner...

sanchezero
02-05-2002, 10:56 PM
it was totally rigged.

The Patriots vs the Rams. The fine, upstanding citizens vs the the goat-herding devil-worshippers?

The totally choreographed entry to the last-second Rocky-style KO?

Jeezus, whaddya think that delay was for at the start of the season, eh?

:D