PDA

View Full Version : Bone Bruises

TigerClaw
02-04-2002, 01:47 PM
How do you guys deal with bone bruises? Jow just isn't cutting it.

Buby
02-04-2002, 02:08 PM
TigerClaw - Two suggestions!

1) Get your hands on better jow. Not all jow is the same.

2) I'm assuming your using the jow for conditioning. You might being going to hard to soon.

Anyway I hope this helps!

Take care,
Buby

Water Dragon
02-04-2002, 05:50 PM
LOL. I know how you feel. I'm nursing one on my left elbow right now. Just suck it up. It's part of the game.

TigerClaw
02-05-2002, 06:24 AM
Oh, come on, nobody has a miracle cure?
They are both on my right side, one on my forearm running the length of my arm from wrist to elbow, and the other is on my shin, again, from ankle to just below my knee. Both are from sparring. On the up side, my left guard is much improving!
Thanks for the replies

Buby
02-05-2002, 09:36 AM
No doubt! You can try hit pills. They work like jow, but from the inside out. Like jow they come in different strengths, so be carefull what you buy out there.

Take care,
Buby
P.S. don't forget to bob and weave...LOL

Arhat of Fury
02-05-2002, 12:30 PM
You can use Kwan loon oil, it has a penetrating element that will bring down any swelling and discoloration. Only use for 2 days.

Wong Ying Home
02-05-2002, 05:22 PM
Caution,

when dealing with a true bone bruise rest and avoid any sort of impact tothat area for 8 to 12 weeks.

We generally incorrectly belive that bone is solid and hard. It is is not is it only the outer layer that is clacified and hard, the innner is like a spongy tissue. If you bruise the bone not only will you have trauma to the hard external surface you will more than likly have caused some trauma to the innner soft spongy tissue (bone marrow) you must give this time to heal.

TigerClaw
02-05-2002, 08:40 PM
Thanks, guys...
Arhat, I've heard of Kwan Loon, where can I get ahold of some?
Wong.... but that's such a loooong time!! and what is a "true" bone bruise? I don't know how serious mine are, but they are point sensative, and any hard or swift contact is hell.

Shaolin
02-06-2002, 01:58 AM
Jow isn't for bone bruises it's more for muscles. Try White Tiger bone bruise.

Arhat of Fury
02-06-2002, 09:20 AM
Tigerclaw,
You can find the Kwan Loon oil at any International Market(I dont know how big of a chain that is) or in good ol' Chinatown. Its good for the intial cosmetic and swelling type healing, after that you will need to just let it heal.

AOF

TenTigers
02-06-2002, 09:29 AM
You need to go to an herbalist and buy tiet sao jow. This is not store bought, but a personal formula of the herbalist-or sifu. It contains herbs that aid in healing and development of bone,tendon and ligament. Wong Ying is absolutely correct, You need to lay off it for quite some time. Leave the testosterone home and let it heal,otherwise you won't be able to go out and play for a long, long time...like never.

TigerClaw
02-06-2002, 11:10 AM
Time to go to chicago - that's the nearest chinatown.....

Outcast
02-06-2002, 11:17 AM
I have used Comfrey (also known as Knit-bone) for similar injuries and it has worked well. The down side of using it - it stains everything it comes into contact with green for a while, so dont go wearing your best threads if you decide to try it.

dmsdc
02-06-2002, 08:40 PM
Um...why don't you go see a doctor instead of letting a bunch of people who can't see what the damage is to your arm tell you what to do with your body?

If your teacher isn't doing you the favor of telling you to lay off and get well so you won't have an arm that aches on every rainy day for the rest of your life then you're going to have to take care of yourself.

If you keep re-injuring an injury you risk making it a chronic condition. Which would suck.

So ice the bruises, take advil around the clock for a week, lay off getting hit, massage the area, rest, drink lots of water.

Or go see a doctor and have them tell you that.:D

Dana

TenTigers
02-06-2002, 11:35 PM
do not ice bruises. Western medicine loves ice. Chinese tiet-da medicine -traumatology-soft tssue injury, etc. sez, ice will set the injury deep into the tissue, joint, and bone. Use moist heat, massage, jow,plasters, rest. I haven't seen a doctor for over 20 years, never needed one, don't really get sick. I use alot of herbs, food,hei-gung, exercise, meditation and rest. I also laugh alot! or you can go to your doctors-we love authority figures-we trust them. Nevermind that they live to medicate, book surgery,mri's, ultrasound, chemo, radiation, are slaves to the FDA, and AMA who are pawns of the pharmaceuticle(sp?) companies. These conglomerates are in buisness to sell medicine. They want to keep you sick, if you heal yourself, then you don't need medicine, which is why drugs like leatrile are banned by the fda. You can spend hundreds of thousands of dollars on chemo, and radiation therapy, get sick and die, or for 200 bucks, take leatrile and get healthy. you choose.

wufupaul
02-08-2002, 12:25 PM
Ten Tigers hit the nail on the head,:D . I had a bad bone bruise for awhile, I couldn't walk on my leg. I was at a show and some idiot jumped off the stage, and landed right on my shin with his big boots. I thought my leg was broken. I went to the doc the next morning, he gave me some medicine(anti-inflammatory, I think..) and I walked with crutches for a week or so. It will heal, just give it time. Mine healed completely, no more pain after a few weeks.

Skarbromantis
02-08-2002, 02:11 PM
Ten Tigers:

Your post was very interesting, i would really like to know what type of herbs you use from day to day?

TenTigers
02-09-2002, 09:50 AM
I usually start my day off with water and 1/2 lemon . After my morning run and hei-gung, I usually have juice-I love my juiceman jr. carrot,apple, celery, with dong quai, For detox a juice of beets with stems, parsley, and carrot is good. I try to stay away from processed foods, preferring fresh produce, lots of fruit,(apples with the seeds-contains natural form of leatrile) and game. Yeah, I eat meat, I'm not a granopla-head, but I also hunt. Venison is delicious when properly prepared, has no chemicals,steroids,and is lean. I grew up owning a boat, so my dad was an avid fisherman, we ate fish at least twice a week. (anyone who has ever hit into a school of mackeral knows how many fish you can bring home in a day.) Eight treasure soup with chicken is a great tonifying meal. I add alittle 5-spice powder and soy for flavor. BTW, my matzoh-ball soup is good too.

TenTigers
02-09-2002, 03:13 PM
ok, more-I had to teach class......
I usually don't really take supplements, but I started again, a high potency multivitamin, b-complex, anti oxidents, and extra c during winter. I love Tang (I know, it's plastic juice (chemicals) but tough, and I take konsul in it twice a day, once in morning after breakfast, and at nite before bed, cleanses the lower G.I. As far as herbs, I use echinacea, rhei ****ake, astragalus, garlic, for immune builders if I'm comming down with something, but also just to eat-hey, who doesn't love garlic? Ginseng is something I really don't know too much about. I know that it isn't simply taken indiscriminately, that it can drive flu and colds deeper into your system, so take it when you're healthy. It is best used in a process in a special diet elliminating certain foods that counteract it, such as any citric acid (which is why those sobe and snapple ginseng drinks are pure bogus)
This all might sound like alot, but you gotta realize, my Mom used to make me Tiger's Milk-the homade kind before it became a brand-name. She made malteds out of milk, brewer's yeast,blackstrap molasses, raw eggs, and probably sawdust for all I know. This is in the 60's way before the concept of the "health-nut" was popular. She gave us carrots, apples, oranges and raisins as snacks, not oreoes. I certainly don't consider this drastic in any way, my fiance is Chinese and we eat alot of rice, green vegies and stuff. I am not vegetarian, vegan, or a health nut, or Gary Null. I like to drink, I no longer smoke-anything. I wanna see my grandkids, and it ruins my training.

NPMantis
02-16-2002, 06:47 AM
OK, this may be a really silly question but I have never needed to use chinese medicine before, but have increased the amount of conditioning I do (especially on my shins) and was wondering two things. Firstly is 'dit da jow' an actual medicine or a name convering several similar types of medicine involved in healing the body. Secondly would everyone recommend this as the best for recovery and strengthening of my shins? I am taking the conditioning slowly but still feel some slight pain the day after.

Thanks you very much for any help anyone gives, really appreciate it!

Take care,

Mantis